• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Match 15 - England v Ireland

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodster

International Captain
Don't want to make excuses but some of these players have been travelling and playing cricket non-stop since October/early November. It's quite conceivable that they might just have had enough.
Don't think it's an excuse, just a logical reason for some weariness. These players have enjoyed very few breaks from the period you mention, and will no doubt be feeling it, such is the crazy schedule that always has us playing a World Cup following an overseas Ashes tour.

Don't think people will want to look at this as one of several contributing factors towards our recent poor efforts in the field.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Don't want to make excuses but some of these players have been travelling and playing cricket non-stop since October/early November. It's quite conceivable that they might just have had enough.
A lot of the test teams and ODI teams do overlap as well. That's a lot of cricket.

Jacknife

International Captain
I hate seeing excuse and I hate making excuses but the fielding and to some extent the bowling is something that doesn't add up, they're making mistakes that for the past 2 year this team hasn't made. Maybe you can have the occasional bad game ,where you drop a few catches and bowl rubbish, but this looks like a team that is not anywhere near the top of their game and at this level it's gonna bite you.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I just find it weird that at the beginning of the Australia ODI series we were talking about how our bowling attack was shaping up pretty well, but weren't being backed up by the batsmen. And our fielding was superb. How has it completely reversed in the space of a couple of games?

Actually, tbh, both our batting and bowling have both been regularly inconsistent. We never do both well in the same game.

All in all pretty humiliating. Lucky I'm Irish. :whistling

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A lot of the test teams and ODI teams do overlap as well. That's a lot of cricket.
Strauss, KP, Bell, Collingwood, Trott and Prior have all played absolutely millions of games.
Bresnan has been on the road the whole time even if he hasn't played in absolutely every game. He did play the practice games even when he wasn't playing Tests though.
Anderson and Swann were given mini breaks during the Australia ODI series.
Shahzad's been on tour the whole time even if he's not played that many games.

It has been one long continuous 6 month tour for some of these players. Must be horrible.

Edit : Well playing for England must be pretty awesome actually :p But I can imagine it's taking its toll.

Last edited:

irottev

U19 Cricketer
What's Broad's excuse? He's just returned. Most of the players had a break tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
"When we were 5-111 I said to myself we could have just pottered around and got 220 off 50 overs for eight or nine and the game would have been pretty boring to watch.

‘‘But I just chanced my arm and said I was going to be as positive as I can and got a few away and didn’t look back.’’

O'Brien WAFG!

Jacknife

International Captain
What's Broad's excuse? He's just returned. Most of the players had a break tbh.
What, the 3 days after OZ, before they came to the WC, of those playing today only Broad and Yardy haven't been on tour since the end of October.It's the collective effort of the fielders that's the problem and some are fielding poorer than I've ever seen them, like I said I hate to make excuse but there has to be something in it.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry guys I wasn't serious with my Dhoni post but given my undoubted rage these past couple of weeks it is understandable you all thought I was serious

Now there are a lot of smug bastards in this thread and IMO you can all suck it. Nothing happened, it's just our imagination :ph34r:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Umm... Just woke up.

Tell me that what I think may have happened, actually happened.
Yes Burgey...what you think happened did happen....you waking up that is. Each day it happens is a miracle at your age. ****.

Howe_zat

Audio File
lol Spark, yes England's bowling >>> batting, especially in ODIs.
Before this competition, I'd have agreed. I have no idea what happened to the mticulously organised attack of the last two years.

Now there are a lot of smug bastards in this thread and IMO you can all suck it. Nothing happened, it's just our imagination :ph34r:
Ah, let them be smug. I was radiating smugness for weeks after the Ashes.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Before this competition, I'd have agreed. I have no idea what happened to the mticulously organised attack of the last two years.

Ah, let them be smug. I was radiating smugness for weeks after the Ashes.
Haha I know mate. Was just parodying myself. Ireland deserve this. Even a bit pleased for upper****. Wac.

Maximus0723

State Regular
I also get the feeling that large part of the team isn't hungry. They seem to be content with how the Ashes went. The perfect indication of this is poor fielding.

But all in all, I think English will be fine.