• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
In pomp, definitely. Pretty unlucky cricketer was VDW, too many all-rounders around during his peak years and he was given opportunities on hiding for nothing tours and on wickets where 434 wasn't enough.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
All I remember of Van Der Wath is that he scored some important runs in that 438 game and resembles someone I can't think of right now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
For purely gambling/insomnia reasons I was following the Cape Cobras vs. Lions T20 match.

I had money on the Lions about 5 overs into the game.

Wasn't such a good bet as the Cobras played damn good after that. However the Lions needed 19 off the last over, and 15 off the last 3 balls... and got there!!! :D

Unbelievable!

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Put $100 at 1.66, so won $66. It was purely a boredom (I.e stupid) bet but got ridiculously lucky. When they needed 15 off 3, and they got 2 wides, I was laughing and saying "well, they could score three fours and tie the game". Then they hit two sixes to tie the scores and a single off the last ball.

Was in shock at how lucky I was.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
For purely gambling/insomnia reasons I was following the Cape Cobras vs. Lions T20 match.

I had money on the Lions about 5 overs into the game.

Wasn't such a good bet as the Cobras played damn good after that. However the Lions needed 19 off the last over, and 15 off the last 3 balls... and got there!!! :D

Unbelievable!
Pretty much nothing is defendable when Robert Frylinck is batting. Has real form for doing some crazy **** at the death. Did a Miandad last year in the Pro20 also. Hope he gets a run out in the IPL. He is the new Tyron Henderson.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Phillander now averages under 20 with the ball in FC cricket (ER 2.5) but when he comes to limited overs and especially 20/20, he just gets continually smashed and never has a comeback to it. Its a wonder why no one takes such an approach at FC level with him.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Phillander now averages under 20 with the ball in FC cricket (ER 2.5) but when he comes to limited overs and especially 20/20, he just gets continually smashed and never has a comeback to it. Its a wonder why no one takes such an approach at FC level with him.
.. and South Africa's selectors in all their wisdom picked him for limited overs cricket but haven't let him anyway near the Test team. It's almost like they were setting him up to fail so they could say he had his chance.

He really did look rank though, and his catching was even worse.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Pretty much nothing is defendable when Robert Frylinck is batting. Has real form for doing some crazy **** at the death. Did a Miandad last year in the Pro20 also. Hope he gets a run out in the IPL. He is the new Tyron Henderson.
Will most certainly keep an eye out for him. I owe that man big time!

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Wow, he's got a Pollardesque T20 record there. Makes me wonder why he didn't get a look in any of the T20I matches yet?

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Wow, he's got a Pollardesque T20 record there. Makes me wonder why he didn't get a look in any of the T20I matches yet?
Yep. I rate him more than Albie and he should have had a run in the team as a possible bowling allrounder before the world cup given he ticks off a lot of boxes that are missing in the side. i.e. no. 7, fast-med bowler and good at bowling at the death.

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant
Yep. I rate him more than Albie and he should have had a run in the team as a possible bowling allrounder before the world cup given he ticks off a lot of boxes that are missing in the side. i.e. no. 7, fast-med bowler and good at bowling at the death.
Yeah would've made more sense than picking miller, tbh.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Even if he impressed, it would have been a very big and contentious call to take him to the WC. Never played in the subcontinent and has a record which would put of traditionalists (the South African selectors), namely playing a mere 11 "proper" FC games despite being around since 2005. Albie for all his faults has a very good record in the subcontinent (albeit mostly in a 20/20 domestic league) and the whole WC squad unless I'm mistake have played either internationals or had A tours over there. As I said, I see Frylinck as a Tyron Henderson type cricketer, will have some great moments domestically, could force himself into the 20/20 setup but I think ODIs are a bridge too far. Also need to remember that Tait and Malinga cleaned him up pretty sharpish in the Champions League and Frylinck doesn’t face that kind of pace or quality in South African domestic cricket.

On Albie, apparently he, Ryan McLaren and unnamed 3rd player, reportedly a batsman (Rudolph) are the standby players for the WC.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Not watched much of the 20/20 but Davey Jacobs has had a right shocker. Currently averaging 9 with a SR under 90. Still good at the self promotion though, probably thinks he should be captaining South Africa now in Delhi.

Also, interesting goings on in the current provincial game between KwaZulu-Natal and Boland...

Boland 17/0 (3.5 ov, OA Ramela 8*, S van Zyl 5*, BL Whatmore 0/5) | Live Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Must be a shocker of a pitch; guess they wanted to bowl on it ASAP.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Well it worked. They beat Boland by 80 runs.

Boland v KwaZulu-Natal at Paarl, Feb 24-26, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo

Interesting young chinaman bowler playing for the Cobras in the 20/20 by the name of Michael Rippon. Straight out of U19 cricket, never played provincial for WP and has lay down some impressive performances thus far for the Cobras.

2nd Semi-Final - 1st Leg: Cape Cobras v Titans at Cape Town, Feb 27, 2011 | Cricket Scorecard | ESPN Cricinfo
Michael Rippon | South Africa Cricket | Cricket Players and Officials | ESPN Cricinfo

SeamUp

International Coach
Really excited by the SA u19 tour to England this year. It will be our 3rd since re-admission and both tours produced future Proteas and I think this squad will be no different.

First tour had Boucher, Prince, Dippenaar, McKenzie and Ntini.

2nd tour had AB, JP, Faf and Philander and I. Khan.

I really hope they pick the squad in view to the 2012 u9 WC and not the older players who played in the recent Zim series. The older players like Jennings, Price, Nofal, DuPreez, Rafferty and so on.

I think this younger group will be one of our better u19 squads ever.

There are plenty of youngsters playing the amatuer FC ranks.

Players to watch out for...Keeper batsman, Quinton De Kock who is as talented with the bat as AB and JP were at u19 level but does need a little work on keeping. Scored 152* recently for Gauteng. KES boy

Regardt Verster is an elegant lhb from Menlopark, Northerns.

Shaylen Pillay is a super all-round talent. Also a KES boy and a player that has played SA u19 since 16. There is an article on him that I posted earlier in this thread.

Diego Rosier is playing amateur cricket for Griquas and has played for SA u19 since 16. Middle-order batsman and leg-break bowler. Noordkaap.

Then the fast bowling is most exciting...

Calvin Savage played SA schools at 16 and made his FC debut...struggled with injury in the last 6 months but it has actually made him work hard on his batting and is an all-rounder now. Stands at 194+cm and can generate pace. A super prospect and from Maritzburg College.

Savage's new ball partner, Daryn Dupavillon, at Maritzburg College is a clever bowler with a very unique action. He is a strike bowler and very adept at death bowling.

Jan Frylinck of the Boland is also very quick and is left-arm. Made his list A debut for Boland at 16 and took 2 wickets. He is very much a strike bowler.

A couple of other players are Engelbrecht (a fast bowler who played in the last u19 WC and a spinner from Natal in Prenelan Subrayen who is also capable with the bat.

Very much hoping this is the main side...many of them have played amateur cricket just like the successful Parnell u19 side

Quinton De Kock (19) Gauteng
JP Kok (18) Northerns
Jason Smith (17) Western Province
Regardt Verster (18) Northerns
Shaylen Pillay (17) Gauteng
Diego Rosier (17) Griquas
NOT SURE OF NUMBER 7
Calvin Savage (18) Natal
Prenelan Subrayen (18) Natal
Jan Frylinck (17) Boland
Daryn Dupavillon (17) Natal

12th Rabian Engelbrecht (Probably will start but not a big fan of his.)