• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

TumTum

Banned
If you're not flighting the ball, then the batsman can just come down the track and smother the spin/belt you out the ground. Regardless of how much turn you're getting.
I'm not here saying drift and flight is a bad thing, not at all. Just that it isn't enough to alone get wickets and build pressure at a consistent basis, you need to at-least get some spin and cause doubt on the batsman's mind.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm not here saying drift and flight is a bad thing, not at all. Just that it isn't enough to alone get wickets and build pressure at a consistent basis, you need to at-least get some spin and cause doubt on the batsman's mind.
Spin on its own isn't any better. In terms of pressure building, an accurate spinner who gets good flight >>>>> a big turner of the ball who doesn't flight it and isn't accurate.

TumTum

Banned
Spin on its own isn't any better. In terms of pressure building, an accurate spinner who gets good flight >>>>> a big turner of the ball who doesn't flight it and isn't accurate.
Accuracy is another thing altogether. But as somebody said before in this thread, if you spin the ball off the pitch it is very likely that you get good flight and drift as well.

pup11

International Coach
I think ****e tactics are really to be blamed for the way some of Oz bowlers have been bowling, likes of Johnson and Siddle are given a free hand to try whatever they want to do in order get a wicket, whereas likes of Hauritz, Beer, Doherty and Hilfenhaus all are suppossed to keep things 'tight'.
The right approach should always be to attack given your bowlers strengths, but within the Australian set-up you hardly see that, from the very start of the innings the moment a few 4's are hit the field disperses and bowlers are pretty much left trying defend rather than attack.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Never mind the career average, but S Marsh has to be in our Test squad to Sri Lanka.

I've said for a while that he should take over the 3 spot when Punter retires, Khawaja probably deserves that spot now, but Marsh must be in the top 4, I think that he can come in as opener..

Considering Hughes and Smith are currently in our 6 I think it's a travesty if the 27 year old who is excelling for WA in all 3 formats doesn't get a gig.

Watson Marsh Ponting Khawaja Clarke Hussey is my top 6. With this top six, a spinner must play all the time.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never mind the career average, but S Marsh has to be in our Test squad to Sri Lanka.

I've said for a while that he should take over the 3 spot when Punter retires, Khawaja probably deserves that spot now, but Marsh must be in the top 4, I think that he can come in as opener..

Considering Hughes and Smith are currently in our 6 I think it's a travesty if the 27 year old who is excelling for WA in all 3 formats doesn't get a gig.

Watson Marsh Ponting Khawaja Clarke Hussey is my top 6. With this top six, a spinner must play all the time.
At this stage I'm inclined to agree with you on that top six.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Marsh has a simple uncomplicated technique, i'm worried like a lot of people that he hasnt translated that technique into some huge 1000+ FC seasons yet, but surely he's worth a punt based on his quite excellent patient displays in the one day game, he aint no slogger and always shows a mature head for Australia, that has to count for something. PLus, he was batting out of position yesterday, what a knock. Could you imagine Phil Hughes doing that? No chance.

Noble One

The timing for Marsh to enter the Test team couldn't be better. He has been on a terrific run of form for nearly four years now and the only thing holding him back from bigger run scoring seasons is the regular injuries and call-ups to the ODI squad.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
i wouldn't want Marsh to open.does he open for WA in shield cricket?

Cant belive how quickly people write off Hughes with all **** management the selectors did with him.Hughes should be persisted and persisted as an opener

Last edited:

Noble One

i wouldn't want Marsh to open.does he open for WA in shield cricket?

Cant belive how quickly people write off Hughes with all **** management the selectors did with him.Hughes should be persisted and persisted as an opener
Why persist with Hughes if he is showing no indication of being ready for Test cricket? He was in bad Sheffield Shield form all summer and it transfered to bad Test form when given a good chance this summer.

His initial dropping was harsh, but you don't pump games into a broken cricketer now to correct the issue.

Marsh bats more at 3 for Western Australia now. Given the WA batting issues he is effectively an opener. I think Katich and Watson have proven that if you are a good batsman, then opening the batting isn't a struggle.

Midwinter

State Captain
Why persist with players who aren't making runs or taking wickets ?

Hughes with the obvious flaws in his technique might average 20, is that good enough ?

This is the reason that has got us into this position, persisting with out of form players and hoping they will come good.

It needs to be more ruthless.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
over 4000 runs in fc cricket at almost 50 at the age of 22 is enough to convince me that he will average bit more than 20.does marsh averges 40 in sheild cricket?i like marsh and i wouldn't mind having him at 6 but not as an opener

hughes is a prodigy who should be groomed for the future and deserve more than 3 tests in a row to prove it specialy if you give a hack like Norf 20 tests.most players have a bogey team and England could be Hughe's...

Spark

Global Moderator
No, not with his severe technical shortcomings. He needs to work out his game and Test matches against top opposition is not where you do that.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Marsh has a simple uncomplicated technique, i'm worried like a lot of people that he hasnt translated that technique into some huge 1000+ FC seasons yet, but surely he's worth a punt based on his quite excellent patient displays in the one day game, he aint no slogger and always shows a mature head for Australia, that has to count for something. PLus, he was batting out of position yesterday, what a knock. Could you imagine Phil Hughes doing that? No chance.
Exactly, except the part on 1000 run seasons. Marsh hasn't really had a realistic chance to do so, with Australian ODI selection, injuries and WA never making the Final, has limited his appearances most seasons.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
No, not with his severe technical shortcomings. He needs to work out his game and Test matches against top opposition is not where you do that.
when he was inform he scored bags of runs regardless of the technical issues.you don't have to have boycott's technique to score these days anyhow likes of sehwag,dilshan,cook etc all have dodgy techniques yet score lot of runs.i think hughes need another breakthrough knock like in SA

who's your opening partner to Watson if it isnt Hughes?go back to Kat?

Spark

Global Moderator
Marsh, if not Katich.

Sehwag and Dilshan may have "dodgy" techniques but critically this only changes the way they play certain balls, they still have the ability to play balls in all the areas "normal" batsmen do.

Hughes is loose outside off stump and terrible on his body. It really is no wonder that while he's reworking his technique he's scoring no runs. He simply is not technically capable of playing at test level at this stage. Same goes for Smith.

robinjr

School Boy/Girl Captain
Marsh, if not Katich.

Sehwag and Dilshan may have "dodgy" techniques but critically this only changes the way they play certain balls, they still have the ability to play balls in all the areas "normal" batsmen do.

Hughes is loose outside off stump and terrible on his body. It really is no wonder that while he's reworking his technique he's scoring no runs. He simply is not technically capable of playing at test level at this stage. Same goes for Smith.
don't think marsh is any better outside the offstump either.Marsh's got a good looking technique than Hughes but that doesnt make it good one i still back hughes with his age and overall sheild record for the sl tests.

Spark

Global Moderator
don't think marsh is any better outside the offstump either.Marsh's got a good looking technique than Hughes but that doesnt make it good one i still back hughes with his age and overall sheild record for the sl tests.
Not seriously trying to suggest Marsh is as bad outside off stump as Hughes now are you?

:dry: