• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really think the big boards like India, RSA, Australia and England can take the lead in terms of A tours... The rest will just follow.. I am pretty sure networks will be willing to cover it live for lesser production costs and with more and more rotation happening in international games, esp. T20 and ODIs and with the advent of IPL and Champions League, a lot of the domestic players are a lot more known outside than earlier... Could be a win-win situation for most people..

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
West Indies are actually pretty good with A tours now. They disappeared for a few years but have come back in strength, and had success too

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This point has probably been made before, but not picking Nathan Hauritz has possibly cost us two Ashes series now.

I really think that the selectors should be sacked in disgrace.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
This point has probably been made before, but not picking Nathan Hauritz has possibly cost us two Ashes series now.

I really think that the selectors should be sacked in disgrace.
cost us a balanced and more appropriate team, didn't come close to costing us the Ashes, maybe more so in England, because that was ridiculous given the pitch, but Haurtiz is in no way ever guaranteed to get 5+ wickets and make a big difference, he's done it in his entire career what, twice? once against Pakistan...

That and the ashes this time were lost because we sucked England were very good, Swann had a small impact so I doubt Hauritz would have made that big a difference.

Still they repeated the same mistake twice, in the last 09 test and the Melbourne test, twice... should still be sacked and then kicked a little. ..

TumTum

Banned
cost us a balanced and more appropriate team, didn't come close to costing us the Ashes, maybe more so in England, because that was ridiculous given the pitch, but Haurtiz is in no way ever guaranteed to get 5+ wickets and make a big difference, he's done it in his entire career what, twice? once against Pakistan...

That and the ashes this time were lost because we sucked England were very good, Swann had a small impact so I doubt Hauritz would have made that big a difference.

Still they repeated the same mistake twice, in the last 09 test and the Melbourne test, twice... should still be sacked and then kicked a little. ..
Both against Pakistan actually.

andyc

Doherty and Beer's combined contribution to the series from a total of 3 Tests was 4 wickets @ 104.5 and 31 runs @ 7.75.
You can't tell me that Hauritz wouldn't have contributed more, given his current form with ball and bat and his record in Australia. There's no doubt in my mind that he would've been an improvement.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
I Agree it would have had some impact, but not "possibly cost us two Ashes series " kind of impact, England severely outplayed us in every way. That being said it was a pathetic decision and it just must have been in large part made by Ponting, and that disappoints me, the whole thing was more then stupid, its just Hauritz is Hauritz, not Warne, he'd probably at best do Swann numbers.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Doherty and Beer's combined contribution to the series from a total of 3 Tests was 4 wickets @ 104.5 and 31 runs @ 7.75.
You can't tell me that Hauritz wouldn't have contributed more, given his current form with ball and bat and his record in Australia. There's no doubt in my mind that he would've been an improvement.
Inclined to agree. If one also factors in the fourth seamer's (Hilfenhaus, realistically) negligible contributions to the 3rd and 4th tests it makes it look even sillier.

howardj

International Coach
Sutherland agrees with me that it was very ordinary form from Hughes and Clarke to attend functions on the morning of the Boxing day Test.

If Nielsen had any balls, or was even aware what day in the week it was, he would have knocked this on the head.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
Hughes would later make only 16 and Clarke 20 as the hosts were rumbled for just 98 in only 42.5 overs on day one, effectively gifting victory to Andrew Strauss's men.
lol at that attempt to suggest it effected their scores, 16 and 20 were the two highest... (the whole team sucked)

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
cost us a balanced and more appropriate team, didn't come close to costing us the Ashes, maybe more so in England, because that was ridiculous given the pitch.
Minor point, but winning in England makes retaining the series that much easier in Australia. One of those tons he scored in domestic cricket would have been gold in the Ashes too that's all I'll say.

Spark

Global Moderator
cricket with balls James Sutherland is a supreme error - join sehwagology

Naming a 17 man squad in a city centre to make a marketing deadline is ok.
Dropping one spinner for the exact same kind of spinner with less experience who is roughly the same age is ok.
Giving a coach with a sketchy, at best, record, is ok.
Publicly stating you have rested a player who publicly states he is dropped is ok.
Having your chairman of selectors say a player has local knowledge while showing he has no idea where he has come from is ok.
Letting a player who writes a largely ghost written twitter feed to apologise for his actions and not facing up to press conference is ok.
Keeping a selector who states he doesn’t watch overseas cricket on TV is fine.
Naming a spokesman for the selectors who is not the chairman is ok.
Letting your chairman of selectors slate the players while saying he did a good job is ok.
But going to a cricket function a few hours before you are due to play a boxing day test is a supreme error.
James Sutherland has never been my favourite guy, yet I’ve always assumed he has a few smarts up there. So when he has a go at players who made a mistake, when he and his team of moronic yes men are running around stepping on rakes, throwing cream pies at each other and making comedy noises, what a dick.
Nielsen has a 3 year deal, and the power to stop Hughes and Clarke from attending the event, and he didn’t make an error.
Cricket Australia has more hangers on in wanky blue tracksuits than Kim Jong Il, why didn’t any of these people demand that Clarke and Hughes miss that event?
It was the morning of boxing day, and it was just another error from Cricket Australia.
The same Cricket Australia that James Sutherland rules with a manicured thumb.
If Sutherland is a man of integrity, he should take the blame for Australia’s summer.
Sutherland has been in charge while crowds and interest went down in cricket. Even while Australia was by far the best side in world cricket. He was in charge while the team has been patched up by part time selectors who don’t watch enough cricket, and he was in charge of the worst home series on and off the field in over 20 years.
He is the error.
He is the person who should be accountable.
Not the one helping Hilditch sniping at the players.
Do Cricket Australia a favour, Mr Sutherland, step down after you’ve taken a few with you.
The Cricket Australia alternate reality is a nice place to live, but you can’t stay there forever.

Obviously there's a few (a lot) of factual inaccuracies in this as is the case with cwb but the general gist - that the top seems to be channeling the heat onto the players, away from themselves - is an interesting one.

stephen

I Agree it would have had some impact, but not "possibly cost us two Ashes series " kind of impact, England severely outplayed us in every way. That being said it was a pathetic decision and it just must have been in large part made by Ponting, and that disappoints me, the whole thing was more then stupid, its just Hauritz is Hauritz, not Warne, he'd probably at best do Swann numbers.
What you say is probably true, but not picking your best team is basically handing the urn to the English and saying "here, we don't want it".

Hauritz would have been far more useful in Brisbane than Doherty and may have made a key breakthrough or two which may have let us put some pressure on the English.

Hauritz' runs in any of the tests outside the Gabba and WACA would have been incredibly useful at avoiding innings defeats. Who knows, he may have actually formed partnerships with Hussey that gave us an extra 50-100 runs to our total.

Having a competent spinner in the side would have been useful so that we didn't have to doctor our pitches to respond to fast bowling, which backfired dramatically at the MCG.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
I just don't see how the selectors can go on, but what about Ponting, to what extent is he responsible for Hauritz, to go for Doherty strait away after an okay ODI match, ahead of other logical choices, then Beer. The selectors and Ponting ****ed up. Something needs to happen so the same mistakes don't repeat, Whens this review thing going to start?

Spark

Global Moderator
I just watched (thanks too Leeman) vids of Hauritz's bowling last summer and it really is obvious that he is a significantly better bowler than either Doherty or Beer.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Didn't Ponting and Hauritz have a disagreement in the press over who was setting the fields for him, after that Warne tweet?

Spark

Global Moderator
Something like that. If Ponting is the one who's keeping Hauritz out of the team then he should lose the captaincy, simple as that IMO. It's not acceptable.