• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Flem274*

123/5
How many guys in the 25-30 year old bracket do you have with good records?

From what I can see you have a huge amount of gun 32+ year old players, but I don't know much about the rest.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

From what I can see you have a huge amount of gun 32+ year old players, but I don't know much about the rest.
Yep, exactly, I've made this point before. All the players in contention are 30+ or in their early 20s. The generation of talented players to come through in the middle - Ferguson, Marsh and friends - have never really piled on the consistent Shield performances their predecessors did.

Teja.

Global Moderator
Reckon they should just pick the gun 30+ guys then. The point should be to get the best possible side now not a potential World no.1 side for 10 years later.

Spark

Global Moderator

Michael Clarke
Shane Watson
Cameron White, possibly
*crickets*

Ruckus

International Captain
Oh that's a bit disappointing then. Saw him bowl for the first time in that PM game, and I thought he looked quite promising.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Grinds my gears to hear Fergie being mentioned in regards to test selection. Can't wait to get someone who has scored 5 odd FC centuries in six years into the test team. Yippee

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah he does have a very poor record. It's a pity though, because his batting has class written all over it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah he does have a very poor record. It's a pity though, because his batting has class written all over it.
His record is shocking. The fact that some consider him as a candidate for Test honours shows the real lack of depth in our 25-30 age group

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah although, there are a good deal of players in that age group who have better records than Ferguson. I think the preference for him comes from his stylish batting but also his good OD results.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah although, there are a good deal of players in that age group who have better records than Ferguson.
Outside the team (ie. not Watson or Clarke), I think the only batsmen in Shield cricket aged 25-30 who actually averages over 40 in First Class cricket are Mark Cosgrove and Cameron White, and they're hardly banging the door down with 50+ career averages.

Bailey, Marsh and McDonald all have records marginally better than Ferguson's while still being in the same league as him (all average mid to high 30s with under 10 FC hundreds) while Cowan has an almost identical record. A lot was expected of all those players including Ferguson but they never really delivered; it's been quite an under-performing age group of talent.

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Bit of a loose canon I hear! A bit mental.
Hmm, no more than what you'd want out of a fast bowler! Although he did have his jaw broken by a mate of his in the toilets of the pub - and Patto was only 17...

Think the fitness thing is a bigger issue, he might've had the figures on the board already as well as potential if he hadn't have had so many injuries. Even though he's only 20/21. Bowls good pace, and can move it.