• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australia - the aftermath of the Ashes

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah it's quite amazing to see a coach defend himself after his teams shocking performances
Why wouldn't you defend yourself? If the higher ups buy your defence, you've just landed yourself a cushty job for 2 and a half years where you don't even need to be seen to be achieving any sort of results, and are (presumably) being well paid for it.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Why wouldn't you defend yourself? If the higher ups buy your defence, you've just landed yourself a cushty job for 2 and a half years where you don't even need to be seen to be achieving any sort of results, and are (presumably) being well paid for it.
Just in comparison to other sports where the coach would typically resign after such a lousy performance.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Couple of reasons, basically:

1) One would hope the higher ups aren't total ****ing idiots;

2) It makes one look a clueless ****wit.

Last edited by a moderator:

TumTum

Banned
Our run rate in the Ashes has been consistently below 3 :dry:

I think it's been like that for some series before the Ashes as well, in India we were moving so slowly despite the flat wickets.

Spark

Global Moderator
That was mostly because our batsmen simply didn't know how to work their spinners around - Watson especially was easy to tie down

TumTum

Banned
That was mostly because our batsmen simply didn't know how to work their spinners around - Watson especially was easy to tie down
Yeah he dug us a hole. He was just happy blocking nothing balls for a few hours, then suddenly the ball starts spinning and Zaheer getting the ball to reverse, at which point Watson as always gets out.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Well it was mostly in that first innings at Mohali where we really really did go slowly (where Watson actually made a hundred) and it was pretty clear that he was very very very limited against accurate spin on low tracks, because he couldn't slog-sweep which basically is his get out of jail shot. He doesn't move his backfoot from the crease at all, so unless you bowl a long-hop he won't hit you for four basically.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
11,000 test runs with a poor technique?
You know that's unfair. My post didn't state that Ponting or Lara have poor techniques at all. Just that it was less textbook and relied more on reflexes and hand-eye coordination.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Get the impression with Watson that if you don't bowl him balls that he can slog sweep, he basically won't score runs off you.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Basically it. Tries to work everything to square leg. Is OK at it but he won't hurt you too hard.
He'll punish you if you drop short as well, but yeah, good spin to Watson in normal circumstances will not be scored off. He can be quite aggressive to spin in limited overs cricket but he often gets out to it; you can see why he's cautious in Tests against spin, and also why he's so much better opening than at six.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
FWIW this is the team I would be playing in Sri Lanka (barring any players coming into some awesome shield form in the second half of the season):

Watson
Hughes
Khawaja
Ponting
Clarke(c)
Hussey
Haddin
Johnson
Hauritz
Siddle
Bollinger

12th: Copeland

I would have Smith, Copeland, O'Keefe, White and Ferguson in the squad.

It's no use looking to Katich IMO. He's had his day and served the country well. It's time that we give the talented young Hughes an extended run (maybe pick him for more than four tests in a row FFS).

Unfortunately we have to keep Watson, despite him being on warning for his running between wickets. Ponting should get another two series to get back into form. If he's not hit another hundred by the end of South Africa then he should be gone for good. Clarke should be the permanant captain now.

Given the woes of both Hussey and Clarke at 4, I would like to see Ponting there in the mid term. I think he'd provide very nice stability in the middle order, should he regain form.

Khawaja should be persisted with at #3, I really think that he can pay off within a year or two. Hussey should get the tap on the shoulder as soon as he goes for another three to five tests without a hundred. I put him at two tests right now, which means he should only have a guaranteed spot for the Sri Lanka tour.

Bowling-wise, I think that Siddle has done enough to be retained for now. Johnson too has enough credit in the bank to continue to get a gig. That leaves Hilfenhaus and Beer. Hilfy has had too many chances and needs to go. Beer would be a nice pick if we had a strong side and could afford to develop him over a period of ten tests. We don't. We need a spinner who has a proven record of wicket taking at the first class and/or test match level. At the moment that player is Hauritz (who is still very young for a spinner). Hauritz also aids our batting. Not having him in our side contributed to the huge losses we faced in the Ashes. If we absolutely must not pick Hauritz because he is hated by every single person at CA, then we must pick O'Keefe. We absolutely must not develop a spinner to the point where they are quite a good bowler at the international level and then drop them. The point of developing a player is that it pays off when you get a good 40+ tests of their peak form. Dropping Hauritz as he was nearing this point was utter absurdity.

Bollinger should have enough fitness and has enough credit to get picked to play in Sri Lanka. If any of our bowlers fail for a couple of tests in a row I think Copeland should get a run - and probably a few tests to prove himself.

These are the Australian problems right now:

1) Our batting is poor
2) Our bowling is poor
3) Our fielding is poor
4) Our batting is full of players who are 34 and older. There can be no orderly transition from this. When we replace the 34+ year old players we have to bring in players based on state form who are younger than 34. If this means that Rogers is the man in form then he should get a game (not that I am advocating him).

To correct all of these flaws we really must start:
a) picking batsmen based on state form
b) look primarily to players in the 25-29 age bracket unless a 20 year old comes out and smashes all kinds of records (Maddison, I'm looking at you).

So to reiterate:

Hughes must get an extended run to develop. He really is a longer term prospect and should be given a year in the test side. If he's still crap then get rid of him until he has piled on the runs ala Hayden.

Ponting, Hussey, Katich and Haddin should all be phased out over the next 3-4 years. Around one per year. Whichever has been performing the worst or is of the least value to the team. At the moment, that is the injured Katich. A sad way to go and he has served us well, but Ponting and Hussey are better players.

New players must be picked first on form then on age (with the exception of those who fall in the Haddin+ age bracket).

We need to strengthen the bowling by bringing in a capable wicket taking threat to replace Hilf and a capable wicket taking threat as a spinner. Beer did a reasonable job but needs time to develop at state level.

Last edited:

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I would like to clarify one other thing.

I would persist with Johnson and Siddle as they are both wicket taking threats. However I really feel that they should not be the only wicket taking threats in the side. The big problem that we've had is that these two have been unsupported at the other end (with the exception of Perth where Harris was excellent).

You simply cannot expect to dismiss your opposition for under 500 if you only play two test match quality bowlers (and one of them at least is still being picked more on potential than performance). Having a quality spinner to tie down an end is also of vital importance on the majority of tracks. Beer at the moment is not that guy. Hauritz is.

howardj

International Coach
Do you know that Clarke and Phil Hughes went to the Shane Warne Foundation Gala Breakfast on the morning of the Boxing Day Test.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
I was very impressed with the debut of Usman Khawaja in difficult circumstances during the Sydney Test but then I have been very impressed with him from the first time I saw him two years ago.

What impact that has on where I bat in future I have no idea. I have plenty of time to think about it given we don't play Tests again until a tour of Sri Lanka in August.

Whatever decision is made about where I bat will be for the good of the team, not me.
I wonder if anybody will suggest he moves down a place, I got to agree with Stephens team, barring Johnson, he is a liability that this team can't afford, replace him with someone else, who that is I don't know, Copeland or Cameron maybe. But the next test isn't for more then half a year so Harris might even be fit for one or two games, or somebody else might stand up.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I see no reason whatsoever to continue picking Hughes. He's not even close to being the man most likely to make runs in the next match and given he's quite clearly still in the process of trying to build his own game in order to make best use of his phenomenal ability, looking dodgy at the top of the order while the world points and laughs will do his development no good at all. I'm 100% with Goughy/PEWS on picking a team purely for the present but even if I wasn't, throwing Hughes in the test side when his technique's a mess can't possibly be the best way to getting the most out of him long-term.

Oscillatingmind

U19 Cricketer
There isn't a series for a while, Hughes will hopefully play a few first class games before that, maybe go play some county cricket again, his form might change by then. If it doesn't then he won't deserve a extended run.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
howardj is somewhat obsessed with team spirit and keeping the team together etc.
I would have thought, on the morning of the biggest match of your year, that it would be prudent to keep your normal prematch routine - rather than going to another hotel to speak in front of 800 odd people.

Priorities.