• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Which cricketer has the most complete record?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was a sly dig, I put my hand up. :p

But in all honesty you have to respect this resurgence. Personally, I rate players whom deal with adversity and come back stronger highly. I've always trumpeted how Warne and Lillee came back from their downturns in their careers and came back strong because, IMO, it's the trait of a true champion and Tendulkar has really done that. I reckon he is batting better now than he did in the 90s TBF.

In this kind of form and with the Indian team being the way it is I reckon he's destined to finally win that elusive WC title.
:-O:eek::shocking::shock::jawdrop:

bagapath

International Captain
Was a sly dig, I put my hand up. :p

But in all honesty you have to respect this resurgence. Personally, I rate players whom deal with adversity and come back stronger highly. I've always trumpeted how Warne and Lillee came back from their downturns in their careers and came back strong because, IMO, it's the trait of a true champion and Tendulkar has really done that. I reckon he is batting better now than he did in the 90s TBF.

In this kind of form and with the Indian team being the way it is I reckon he's destined to finally win that elusive WC title.
poor ikki.... someone has hacked his account...

Bun

Banned
Ponting cannot claim the most complete record with an average of 20 odd in India, whatever be the excuses. He might be a good player of spin but that has got nothing to do with negating that flaw in his career record, which otherwise looks good.

abmk

State 12th Man
My first post here. I've been on read-only mode for some time though

Ponting cannot claim the most complete record with an average of 20 odd in India, whatever be the excuses. He might be a good player of spin but that has got nothing to do with negating that flaw in his career record, which otherwise looks good.
Its not just the above , if we take out ~ 2002-2006 from ponting's career, his best 5 years, he averages in the low 40s , that's 93 out of the 152 tests that he has played

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...7;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

abmk

State 12th Man
All he had to do was wait for Wasim, Waqar, Donald and Pollock to retire :D
Wasim only got him out once in 12 innings

Waqar only once in 7 innings

Pollock only 4 times in 23 innings

Donald did have some success against him, but sachin had his moments of dominance over him like the 169 at capetown and 111 at johannesburg

Bun

Banned

Its not just the above , if we take out ~ 2002-2006 from ponting's career, his best 5 years, he averages in the low 40s , that's 93 out of the 152 tests that he has played

http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...1;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
I don't think that has got to do anything regarding an assessment of completeness of his career record. More to do with consistency however.

abmk

State 12th Man
That's the problem with your analogy.

Both batsmen don't average the same against the team they have problem with.

Ponting averages 47 against India - higher than both of Tendulkar's averages against both Pakistan and S.Africa.

Your analogy would be more apt if

Player A: 40 overall (45 at home, 25 away)
Player B: 35 overall (35 at home, 35 away)

Personally, even if they did have the same overall average I'd still take player A as he's going to at least be of used to me at home whereas player B is going to useless regardless.

Another interesting fact for you: Tendulkar averages 50 and above away against 4 countries (Australia, Bangladesh, England and Sri Lanka). Ponting averages 50 and above away against 6 countries (S.Africa, NZ, SL, Bangladesh, Pak, WI).
-----

We're rehashing covered ground; let's agree to disagree. Tendulkar is a very consistent batsman - more than Lara was TBF - but for me is not as consistent as Ponting.
considering SA ( and Pak for most part ) have had clearly superior bowling attacks to India ( atleast away - all 3 bowling attacks of India that ponting faced in Aus were nothing special ), I don't see the point in comparing the averages directly ....

sachin's average in NZ is 49.62, nearly equal to 50

his average in WI is 47.69 , which is not far away from 50

regarding consistency, see the point made by me in my very first post. If anyone has a claim of being as consistent if not more than sachin, its kallis and not ponting

Last edited:

abmk

State 12th Man
I don't think that has got to do anything regarding an assessment of completeness of his career record. More to do with consistency however.
yeah, more to do with consistency, but shouldn't completeness of a career record include consistency as a factor ? Not to a great extent, but it does matter somewhat

Last edited:

smash84

The Tiger King

welcome to CW abmk. I hope you will find this forum a good place to discuss cricket. Some of the posters here are really top notch. I just hope this doesn't become an addiction because I can tell you that this place is quite addictive. Another one of our posters (Teja) would agree with this I suppose. He might be having trouble in high school for spending too much time here :)

Spark

Global Moderator
Bit rough to be taking out 2002-6 where Ponting had possibly the finest run of batsmanship I have ever seen in my life

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
poor ikki.... someone has hacked his account...
Haha...nooo. I may think he isn't the be-all and end-all...but he is definitely a champion. I wasn't around to post how I regarded his recent series in S.Africa but for me it came to a culminating thought. You just have to give him great credit.

The biggest thing that bothers me about Tendulkar are his fans and the over-the-top nonsense that gets put on for gospel. I have no dislike for him at all - as some around here think I do.

Last edited:

Teja.

Global Moderator
welcome to CW abmk. I hope you will find this forum a good place to discuss cricket. Some of the posters here are really top notch. I just hope this doesn't become an addiction because I can tell you that this place is quite addictive. Another one of our posters (Teja) would agree with this I suppose. He might be having trouble in high school for spending too much time here :)
Even though I know this is in jest, Being addicted to CW doesn't affect me at all regarding school tbh, If I wasn't on CW, I'd probably doing something else on the time I spend on the internet, in the internet, The interwebz is just too awesome.

abmk

State 12th Man
thanks for the welcome . No need to worry about being addicted here, I already am addicted to the net :laugh:

Last edited: