• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketer post 1990

Select your greatest post 1990 cricketer

• Total voters

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't get this statement i don't see how his cricketing influence was more then say a Shaun Pollock its not like there are great leg spinners cropping up from every other cricketing country sure he had an interesting life off the field but he was not the first to have one Imran before him and even Keith Miller who was well before him had been on this path and his main stream appeal was also pretty much matched by a lot of his contemporaries Sachin,Flintoof,Lara and Shoaib to name a few.I have no issues in you calling him the greatest ever as he was that damn good but the argument you put forward is a bit flawed imo:)
He was a great great slip fielder and the go to man for the captain when Australia were under fire. Not only that but the Aussie captains did give him their ear becauxse he was such a great strategist. Also he would put so much pressure on the umpires and the opposition batsmen. He was a real character on the field. Plus he could hit a few lusty blows at times.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't get this statement i don't see how his cricketing influence was more then say a Shaun Pollock its not like there are great leg spinners cropping up from every other cricketing country sure he had an interesting life off the field but he was not the first to have one Imran before him and even Keith Miller who was well before him had been on this path and his main stream appeal was also pretty much matched by a lot of his contemporaries Sachin,Flintoof,Lara and Shoaib to name a few.I have no issues in you calling him the greatest ever as he was that damn good but the argument you put forward is a bit flawed imo:)
Shaun Pollock went about his business. Shane Warne WAS the business.

vcs

If people think there is a lot of over-the-top Shane Warne love on this forum, they must keep in mind that a lot of fans here probably grew up in the '90s. When I was growing up, there were three cricketers who were far and away the most popular of that generation - Tendulkar, Lara and Warne. Almost everyone in my peer group idolized those three and the hype about the other two used to be huge when India played Australia or W. Indies.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If people think there is a lot of over-the-top Shane Warne love on this forum, they must keep in mind that a lot of fans here probably grew up in the '90s. When I was growing up, there were three cricketers who were far and away the most popular of that generation - Tendulkar, Lara and Warne. Almost everyone in my peer group idolized those three and the hype about the other two used to be huge when India played Australia or W. Indies.
I personally think all three are/were genuinely great yet over-rated cricketers. And I grew up in the 90s as well.

vcs

I personally think all three are/were genuinely great yet over-rated cricketers. And I grew up in the 90s as well.
Yeah but there will always be some childhood nostalgia and romanticism associated with them, atleast for me. There's always a special feeling for the players who got you interested in the game in the first place..

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah but there will always be some childhood nostalgia and romanticism associated with them, atleast for me. There's always a special feeling for the players who got you interested in the game in the first place..
All you're saying is that people naturally over-rate those players. I'm not disagreeing.. but it doesn't make them better players.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Although Tendulkar gets idolized far more by Indian fans outside this forum, on this forum, OTT love for Warne > OTT love for Tendulkar. Yet, there are more accusations of Tendulkar hero-worship than of Warne hero-worship.

I had to say it!

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Although Tendulkar gets idolized far more by Indian fans outside this forum, on this forum, OTT love for Warne > OTT love for Tendulkar. Yet, there are more accusations of Tendulkar hero-worship than of Warne hero-worship.

I had to say it!
Tendulkar 25
Warne 15

Ehhhh.

Burgey

nah because there are learly half a dozen in the list who are ahead by some distance I would be equally surprised if Wasim and Waqar get a vote from this list
Still belongs in the discussion IMO. As do they. Especially Wasim. Loved that guy.

Debris

International 12th Man
I guess what I am arguing here is that cricket matches with Warne in them were inherently more interesting and he did more for the promotion of the game. Plus he basically resurrected the art of spin bowling by demonstrating that it was useful on pitches that were not turning square. The state of spin bowling before he arrived was pretty dire.

I also give Shane Warne a lot of the credit for the change in attitudes of test sides. Games of cricket became more about winning than not losing. You only need to compare the winning percentages (and losing) of Australian sidse of the 90s to the Windies sides of the 80s to see the difference.

I don't know if you can remember the way that cricket was played in the 80s but it was fairly dull. None of the other mentioned had such an effect on the way the game was played as he had.

smash84

The Tiger King
I guess what I am arguing here is that cricket matches with Warne in them were inherently more interesting and he did more for the promotion of the game. Plus he basically resurrected the art of spin bowling by demonstrating that it was useful on pitches that were not turning square. The state of spin bowling before he arrived was pretty dire.

I also give Shane Warne a lot of the credit for the change in attitudes of test sides. Games of cricket became more about winning than not losing. You only need to compare the winning percentages (and losing) of Australian sidse of the 90s to the Windies sides of the 80s to see the difference.

I don't know if you can remember the way that cricket was played in the 80s but it was fairly dull. None of the other mentioned had such an effect on the way the game was played as he had.
i think the way the game was played in the 90s and 2000s had more to do with overall team strategies rather than Shane Warne being single handedly responsible for change in the style of play.

Debris

International 12th Man
i think the way the game was played in the 90s and 2000s had more to do with overall team strategies rather than Shane Warne being single handedly responsible for change in the style of play.
That was my point. I think those team strategies mainly came from Australia as the dominant side in the era and Shane Warne played a large part in developing them (along with Mark Taylor who does not get nearly enough credit for Australia's positive play).