• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

Blaze 18

Banned
Well if it was obvious why did you say something different? I don't refer to the sky as red purely because everybody already knows it's blue. That'd be stupid. Just like your post.
I agree it wasn't obvious. A cricket fan clearly needs explaining that one wicket cannot change the result of two matches.

Anyway, say what you want about SA and England. You can point to your incorrect umpiring decisions and I'll point to the fact we legitimately earned that draw against SA as they couldn't bowl us out in 5 days, ultimately the margin is irrelevant.
Yeah, ultimately what matters is that England legitimately drew the series in South Africa and India legitimately won the series against Australia. Everything else is quite irrelevant.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
There's even a debate to be had there?
There's always a debate to be had when another bloke has just taken four for nothing in SA, and has hundreds more wickets than the other.

I haven't seen enough of a lot of the spinners going around, but as I said, if he's the best spinner in the world, the genre has issues.

Blaze 18

Banned
For what it is worth, I think Graeme Swann is the best spinner in the world at this point in time. I can't see him having a good series against India though.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I think England will beat both Sri Lanka and India this summer in England quite comfortably. Whether that means England would be ranked number 1 or not i don't know but i don't fear any side in the world at present that come to England.

Do i think we would win away at either country? A big fat NO.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I agree it wasn't obvious. A cricket fan clearly needs explaining that one wicket cannot change the result of two matches.

Yeah, ultimately what matters is that England legitimately drew the series in South Africa and India legitimately won the series against Australia. Everything else is quite irrelevant.
Well you obviously need it explaining else you wouldn't have said it. Basically admitting what you said was wrong :)

Not quite sure how you can say they "legitimately drew". Umpiring decisions don't even out or just go away. Ishant could've got out next ball anyway, there's no knowing.

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
A team is only as strong as its weakest link.
Do you really think so? The West Indies team of the 80s wasn't defined by the fact that Gus Logie averaged mid-30s in Tests and FC cricket. Albeit that he was maybe the best short-leg fielder that ever drew breath.

Blaze 18

Banned
Well you obviously need it explaining else you wouldn't have said it. Basically admitting what you said was wrong :)
Haha, you are one stubborn dude, aren't you :p I did admit I should have added 'twice' - I decided not to against better judgement. However, you have gone on and on with it for no apparent reason other than to hide the fact that you were arguing against something too trivial, too insignificant.

Not quite sure how you can say they "legitimately drew". Umpiring decisions don't even out or just go away. Ishant could've got out next ball anyway, there's no knowing.
Meh, again you are clutching at straws. You are the one that brought up umpiring decisions, not me. I only look at results as far as teams are concerned. If I wanted to be pedantic, I could have argued that Dale Steyn didn't play the whole series and even when he played he wasn't fully fit etc. All that doesn't matter though, the results do.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Well I don't see you as "Substantial favourites". Unhelpful pitches and a **** bowling attack against our batsmen won't see you win too many, no matter how many runs you make.

You were a correct lbw decision away from drawing to Australia at home
, who we've then gone and comprehensively outplayed in their backyard.
That is incorrect.

fredfertang

Do you really think so? The West Indies team of the 80s wasn't defined by the fact that Gus Logie averaged mid-30s in Tests and FC cricket. Albeit that he was maybe the best short-leg fielder that ever drew breath.
Trouble with Logie was he (and Dujon to a lesser extent) always seemed to make runs on those relatively few occasions when the rest of 'em failed

G.I.Joe

International Coach
You lose the right to bitch about incorrect umpiring decisions when your board refuses to implement UDRS.
Yeah, because stating that Australia were a (denied) wicket away from drawing the series isn't bitching about incorrect umpiring decisions.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Exactly his point, he wasn't bitching. He was just pointing out the fact that we can win even when we receive more incorrect decisions than the opposing team. And the fact that the board made the decision and not him, yet you hold him up for it. Seriously, what are you on about?
He's got his English rose tinted glasses* on tonight, for whatever reason.

*now with improved selective-vision.

Jarquis

No, it isn't.
How is it not? Had that LBW decision been correctly given, Australia would've won the Test match. Obviously it wasn't the only event in the whole match...

So ultimately it's correct but oversimplified.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
How is it not? Had that LBW decision been correctly given, Australia would've won the Test match. Obviously it wasn't the only event in the whole match...

So ultimately it's correct but oversimplified.
That's it. You're out of this thread.

What is incorrect is looking at it in isolation and attributing greater importance to it than other equally relevant events.

Jarquis

That's it. You're out of this thread.

What is incorrect is looking at it in isolation and attributing greater importance to it than other equally relevant events.
We don't know what could've happened if Ishant had been given not out though, he could've hit a 6 off every ball following it. It could've altered the balance in an alternate universe resulting in a meteorite smashing the ground into a million pieces. We just don't know.

However, we do know if that LBW had been correctly given, Australia would've won. I'm not giving it more importance per se, I've admitted it's over simplified. It doesn't make it wrong though.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jesus. Full moon, eh? All you ladies' cycles seem to have aligned in any event.

Can we just agree Gough's a bit of a divot and look forward to the series in the summer?