• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

England can beat India "every day of week": Gough

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
SS, if you think Zaheer is better than Anderson, I can live with that. I disagree but it's close. I don't think that changes my general point about the differences between Steyn-Anderson and Swann-Harris though.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
When are England next due to go to India anyway? I know we've got an "away" tour of Pakistan agreed for January 2012, curious as to who we're supposed to be playing this time next year.

It wouldn't actually suprise me to see England win the series next time we go to India. India's much vaunted batting strength will in all likelihood be seriously depleted the next time we venture there.

Blaze 18

Banned
South Africa and India's best players are better than their English counterparts, but their weaknesses are weaker than England's.

England have a much stronger bowling attack than both sides though.
England have a better all-round attack than both South Africa and India ? Yes. (if you use overall averages though, the difference isn't much between England's and India's. I am not a fan of averages, just bringing it up because you seem to set store by them).

India and South Africa have a better batting line-up than England ? Yes.

Lively pitches would go a long way in negating England's superior attack ? Yes.

England bowlers would struggle as much as the Indian bowlers on flat pitches ? Quite possibly, yes.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
When are England next due to go to India anyway? I know we've got an "away" tour of Pakistan agreed for January 2012, curious as to who we're supposed to be playing this time next year.

It wouldn't actually suprise me to see England win the series next time we go to India. India's much vaunted batting strength will in all likelihood be seriously depleted the next time we venture there.
If the series is in doubt, there will be dustbowls. Seriously - if you think England can win a series on those against India, I'd love to see it really. It would be epic.

Bun

Banned
Have to agree with Gough really. India are rapidly aging, frankly. Turning into Dad's Army really, and only have one decent bowler right now. England 3-1.
England have always suffered at the hands of Dad's armies. The 48 invincibles, the 06-07 Ashes (average age 33) :)

I am loling at how people are talking guys like Tremlette, Bresnam etc on the basis of just one or two tests. Ha ha.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If we going to be using recent statistics, then can I bring up Harbhajan's two centuries and claim that in him we have the best all-rounder in the world ? See, if we start using statistics, then we might as well keep discussing till the cows come home. I ask you - why eighteen months ? Why not twenty ? Thirty ? Forty ? Or, why not just consider their most recent match ?

I am not deliberately forgetting anything - England are more than capable of huge totals, but if the conditions are in favour of the bowlers, then I would expect India's bowlers to do reasonably well - I don't think England's batting line-up is stronger than South Africa's.
Pick as long as you want, the point is that Broad has had a sustained period of time where he's performed above the level of his career average. He's an improved bowler from his debut, he's shown that with results. Sree and Ishant haven't.

As for England/SA, it's an interesting debate. Again going back to the original point by Prince EWS, England have no Petersen's, Prince's or Boucher's in their top 7 and then Broad and Swann is probably the best 8/9 combination in world cricket. That's offset by the prescence of Kallis/ABDV though.
As for conditions favourable for bowlers, England do play half their games in England.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Nonsense. I'd live to see the Indian batting line-up facing Tremlett on a lively pitch. He'd be unplayable if he was bowling well.
So would Zaheer. I'd back Zaheer to do at least as well.

He's the wild card. If he is fit, India have a good chance to negate the liveliness of the pitch, which would otherwise favor the other team. And on flat pitches, Indian batsmen can at least ensure a draw.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

He's the wild card. If he is fit, India have a good chance to negate the liveliness of the pitch, which would otherwise favor the other team. And on flat pitches, Indian batsmen can at least ensure a draw.
That's assuming England don't decide to just sit on Zaheer and pumell whatever rubbish is masquerading as India's attack.

Jarquis

I am sorry, but you are just being argumentative for the sake of it. Technically, India beat Australia 2-0.
It's not being argumentative, I was being pedantic. You were wrong and 2 people called you out on it. get over it.

There's no technically about it, you did beat Australia 2-0. Whether you should've... meh.

Blaze 18

Banned
Nonsense. I'd live to see the Indian batting line-up facing Tremlett on a lively pitch. He'd be unplayable if he was bowling well.
Can't be worse than facing Dale Steyn on a lively pitch. Impossible. Just out of interest, how many matches has Tremlett played ? Just wondering.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
That's assuming England don't decide to just sit on Zaheer and pumell whatever rubbish is masquerading as India's attack.
Good luck. The fact that it's so hard to do that is the beauty of proper swing bowling.

And I'd be excited to see it from a modern batting lineup that is used to scoring at a good pace and hitting a lot of balls.

Bun

Banned

Well nobody is arguing India is going to be number one till kingdom come. :) The assertion that England might beat India in '13 is different from England is a better team than India at the moment. The latter is stupid if it's based on performances of a few individuals in one test series against a depleted opponent, the former pure conjecture and has same merit as saying Bangladesh will defeat England in '13.

Jarquis

Yeah, we also have Anderson and Swann.... you have Ishant and Bhaji? :/

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, we also have Anderson and Swann.... you have Ishant and Bhaji? :/
Swann is certainly bowling much better than Harbhajan but it's a wash at best if you are looking at head to head (e.g, Swann vs Indian batting and Bhajji vs English batting).

Anderson would be compared to Zaheer. The second and third fast bowler are certainly better for England, no doubt about that.

Last edited: