• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Nah the pitch is the same as it's been all match.. decent assistance for bowlers. Of course De Villiers is a big threat, every one is a threat right now.

vcs

Arun Lol is an idiot. I remember his commentary on the India-SL game at the PSS, apparently the pitch had a lot of turn in it when India triggered SL's collapse, then it flattened out when Samaraweera and Mendis had that partnership, then it again became bowler friendly when India lost early wickets, then became flat etc. etc. 8-)

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I am against inserting a guy directly into the playing XI from outside the XV (unless in case of injuries).

Kohli should travel with the team first (like Pujara has).

And given that Pujara isn't stable in the team yet, I am against another change too soon.
Yes exactly. I would wait for the no.6 position to be settled before inducting a new player at 3. And I am skeptical that any of the new players are clearly superior to Dravid even in Indian conditons. I would give Dravid one or two series more.

Blaze 18

Banned
Yes exactly. I would wait for the no.6 position to be settled before inducting a new player at 3. And I am skeptical that any of the new players are clearly superior to Dravid even in Indian conditons. I would give Dravid one or two series more.
The new player does not have to bat at three, though. India could just move VVS Laxman up the order.

Uppercut

You don't shunt around your run-scoring batsmen to accommodate non-run-scoring or new batsmen.

Also, Laxman's better coming in against spin imo.

Uppercut

There's an easier solution that you're all missing though- Sehwag doesn't like opening, so bat him at three, open with Vijay and Gambhir and leave everyone else be.

Having Sehwag up top to "set the tone" is just a crappy idea in South Africa but if you want to do that once this tour's over it's perfectly reasonable to give one of the other two the number 3 spot.

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
There's an easier solution that you're all missing though- Sehwag doesn't like opening, so bat him at three, open with Vijay and Gambhir and leave everyone else be.

Having Sehwag up top to "set the tone" is just a crappy idea in South Africa but if you want to do that once this tour's over it's perfectly reasonable to give one of the other two the number 3 spot.
Sehwag should move to 5 if he ever moves tbh. Should get his shoulder treated asap after the WC and consider becoming a batting all rounder like Jayasuriya.

Uppercut

I just don't get the desire to play one of the most successful 4s of all time at 3 for the sake of a long-shot making his debut.. It would be like giving Tsotsobe the new ball instead of Steyn because bowling fast with the older ball is tough and you want to ease him in.

Even if you think there's only a small chance it'll make any difference, why risk what are basically guaranteed runs at 4? Tendulkar's too important to mess around with his position and all that crap. It's just not worth it.

Last edited:

Dissector

International Debutant
I am pretty sure Tendulkar doesn't want to bat at 3 and why mess with his success at 4. Like I said I would give Dravid one or two more series and then try out some of those other options. Sehwag at 3 doesn't sound a bad idea particularly since he does want to bat lower in the order.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
If we shift Sehwag down, then surely should look to try to get Rahane (FC average currently at 69.01) in as opener.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I prefer batsmen with orthodox or close to orthodox technique at #3. Thats my reason for not wanting Sehwag to bat at 3. If he turns out to be successful, let him continue by all means.

Uppercut

I prefer batsmen with orthodox or close to orthodox technique at #3. Thats my reason for not wanting Sehwag to bat at 3. If he turns out to be successful, let him continue by all means.
Me too, but I don't see how it's any worse having a batsman with Sehwag's technique at 3 than it is having him open.

I might actually prefer Vijay moving down just because Sehwag's been so good up top. Either way, there's three pretty feasible options to fill the top three positions, which makes me inclined to let Dravid go after the series.

Blaze 18

Banned
1) Murali Vijay
2) Gautham Gambhir
3) VVS Laxman
4) Sachin Tendulkar
5) Virender Sehwag
6) Cheteshwar Pujara
7) MS Dhoni

Might work.