• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Greatest cricketer post 1990

Select your greatest post 1990 cricketer

• Total voters

Redbacks

International Captain
Would love to know if any Australian cricket fan on this forum would swap McGrath for Shaun Pollock. I very much doubt many would
Pollock averaged 36.85 against Australia with the ball. On that basis, no way! AT 5 wickets a test that's about 80 more runs he would need to make than McGrath (~45 if we go heaed 2 head).

Likewise Kallis: 40.58 with the bat and 36.37 with the ball skews our rating of them compared to their overall records.

Last edited:

Cricketismylife

U19 12th Man
So Pollock gets penalised because he averages 36.85 v best team of his time. I wonder why people dont apply the same standards to Warne? The best team at playing spin india dominated him and he had the fortune of not having to bowl against his own batting line up. Also has 195 wickets against eng who were one of the worst teams in 90s and atrocious v spin. Warne is obviously an all timer but if people are picking holes in Pollock, Kallis records at least have some consistency.

subshakerz

International Coach
So Pollock gets penalised because he averages 36.85 v best team of his time. I wonder why people dont apply the same standards to Warne? The best team at playing spin india dominated him and he had the fortune of not having to bowl against his own batting line up. Also has 195 wickets against eng who were one of the worst teams in 90s and atrocious v spin. Warne is obviously an all timer but if people are picking holes in Pollock, Kallis records at least have some consistency.
The fact is that Warne is one of the most overrated cricketer in history (I can think of Botham as someone even more overrated). He never delivered a match-winning spell against India yet gets lauded as some superman. Unlike McGrath or Marshall, there are are a list of batsmen who consistently topped Warne, such as Salim Malik, Sidhu, Laxman, and Pietersen. He was a consistent second best to both Lara and Tendulkar. His average and strikerate are well below most worldclass fast bowlers. No doubt he was best of his breed, but if I were captain I wouldn't hesitate for a second to choose McGrath over him.

akilana

International 12th Man
Pollock averaged 36.85 against Australia with the ball. On that basis, no way! AT 5 wickets a test that's about 80 more runs he would need to make than McGrath (~45 if we go heaed 2 head).

Likewise Kallis: 40.58 with the bat and 36.37 with the ball skews our rating of them compared to their overall records.
So they wouldn't like a Murali in their team because he was a failure against Australia? or wouldn't India want a player like Warne playing for them? I think that was a wrong way to look at it.
McGrath is still a better bowler by a good margin but Australians wouldn't reject Pollock on the basis of his poor record against them because Pollock wouldn't have faced Australia at all if he was swapped for McGrath.

Champ

Cricket Spectator
The fact is that Warne is one of the most overrated cricketer in history (I can think of Botham as someone even more overrated). He never delivered a match-winning spell against India yet gets lauded as some superman. Unlike McGrath or Marshall, there are are a list of batsmen who consistently topped Warne, such as Salim Malik, Sidhu, Laxman, and Pietersen. He was a consistent second best to both Lara and Tendulkar. His average and strikerate are well below most worldclass fast bowlers. No doubt he was best of his breed, but if I were captain I wouldn't hesitate for a second to choose McGrath over him.
Agree with you.Indians are the best players of spin.Warne never really performed against them in both forms of the game.Can't be rated as the best when you fail against the best.He's overrated because of The Ashes performances.Close to 200 wickets against ENG.Played 1/4 of his career against ENG.Warne shouldn't be put ahead of bowlers who performed against all the teams.Murali on the other hand has taken 100+ wickets against IND & he bowled some great match winning spells again them.Only bowled one great spell in IND at Kotla.Saqlain is the only spinner who did well in IND during last 2 decades.

Mcgrath to me is a better bowler than Warne.Yes it's not fair to compare a spinner & pace bowler,but we are looking for the best one here.Mcgrath bowled some devastating spells to destroy top order.His 10 for 27 v WI comes to mind.Did well against all team & in all countries he played.

Redbacks

International Captain
With respect to the original question posed by Jono, yes. I think it's adequate to explain why he may not be rated as highly as McGrath, in terms of like for like replacement, despite overall records being close and Pollock being a better batsman.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
This recent trend of bagging Warne for his record against India is starting to get on my nerves a bit. Everybody seems to be getting in on it these days... :huh:

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
Considering that he is universally acknowledged as a genius, and was recently named to Cricinfo's All time World XI by a panel of former international captains, who presumably know what they are talking about, I am curious why Wasim Akram has not received a single vote. I would rate him shoulder to shoulder, or maybe just behind Curtly Ambrose as the greatest fast bowler of the last 20 years, and certainly the most brilliant.

Just looking at the result of this poll, I am fairly certain that if you asked the players, who are invariably the best judges, this exact question, the result would almost be the complete opposite. I think that Akram would probably feature in the top 3 or 4, and there is no way in the world that Jaques Kallis would receive the most votes.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
The reason Wasim has no votes is becuase you can only vote for 1 person, and nobody can seriously say they consider him the number 1 of the last 20 years when you consider the competition.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
Well, here too, he hasn't...
Sorry, last time I checked he was just ahead of Tendulkar. Still, the point stands that he does not seem to be rated that highly by his peers. I don't think Shane Warne rated him in the top 10 cricketers he played with or against, which seems to be the feeling of quite a number.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I think we do not have enough Pakistani fans on this forum, not at least the ones who consider Wasim Akram a greater cricketer than even Imran Khan. Trust me there are tons of them out there :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Sorry, last time I checked he was just ahead of Tendulkar. Still, the point stands that he does not seem to be rated that highly by his peers. I don't think Shane Warne rated him in the top 10 cricketers he played with or against, which seems to be the feeling of quite a number.
Warne's list was biased though, so can be taken with a huge pinch of salt.

slog sweep

Cricket Spectator
The reason Wasim has no votes is becuase you can only vote for 1 person, and nobody can seriously say they consider him the number 1 of the last 20 years when you consider the competition.
Akram was named in Cricinfo's all time World XI by a panel of experts, ahead of both McGrath and Ambrose, so you don't think it is possible or even likely that quite a few people would consider him to be the greatest cricketer of the last 20 years.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah that was stupid. The "one all-rounder" rule was ridiculous given some of the names you then had to leave out.

Champ

Cricket Spectator
This recent trend of bagging Warne for his record against India is starting to get on my nerves a bit. Everybody seems to be getting in on it these days... :huh:
Warne to take the blame for that.He just couln't do it against India during a good amount of matches in tests.ODI record is even worse.Even that new guy Mendis was able to trouble India big time.Don't remember Warne doing anything good in WI as well (apart from taking last 3 tailender wickets in the match where Waugh made 200).Mcgrath has always been the impact player who did it against top players.

Last edited: