• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Check how his team-mates have done in home conditions.
I didn't realise it was Kallis vs. Graeme Smith and AB Devilliers.

Kallis is a run machine, especially at home. But his home record needs to be put into perspective.

Whenever Sachin has come to SA he's faced Donald, Pollock and Steyn. That's it. He doesn't get India's fast bowlers for a decade, nor Sri Lanka's etc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Kallis is a run machine, especially at home. But his home record needs to be put into perspective.

Whenever Sachin has come to SA he's faced Donald, Pollock and Steyn. That's it. He doesn't get India's fast bowlers for a decade, nor Sri Lanka's etc.
I agree that it's not as straightforward as looking at their records in South Africa, but I'd still take Kallis ahead of Tendulkar in South Africa every time, even just on batting alone.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Kallis' record vs. Australia at home is incredibly questionable. In fact, it's poor. There is no guarantee at all that he'd have done better vs. Donald and Pollock, or even Steyn and Morkel. He'd have around a 35-40 average, which is what Sachin has.

If Sachin faced SL, Pak, Eng, NZ and WI attacks on South African soil he wouldn't just be averaging 40. His record wouldn't be too dissimilar to Kallis' current record.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!

Something people always miss, don't they? Imagine Lara Vs that Windies attack or Sachin against this Indian attack.... And to be fair to Kallis, some of the RSA attacks before Steyn were just as bad with Pollock on the decline...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Indeed. People over-complicate cricket a lot, but when they talk about home and away records, they over-simplify it so much, without analysing it properly.

Sachin's 111 was already better than Kallis' 200 (yet one has received criticism and the other massive praise, when both should just be cherished really). I can only imagine what Sachin would have done to Raina :ph34r: He would have loved to have feasted on Raina (and his own bowling lol) for around a session like Kallis and AB Devilliers did.

Furball

Evil Scotsman

I take your point about Kallis not facing his own bowlers at home, but when every other South African batsman who's made a good number of runs struggles to average over 45, the fact that Kallis has averaged over 58 in South Africa is a very note-worthy achievement.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Rant0r

International 12th Man
Kallis' record vs. Australia at home is incredibly questionable. In fact, it's poor. There is no guarantee at all that he'd have done better vs. Donald and Pollock, or even Steyn and Morkel. He'd have around a 35-40 average, which is what Sachin has.

If Sachin faced SL, Pak, Eng, NZ and WI attacks on South African soil he wouldn't just be averaging 40. His record wouldn't be too dissimilar to Kallis' current record.
I agree to a point, to be fair to Kallis, Australia were the best team in the world for the majority of his career, like the West Indies of the 80's most of the world's top players career averages take a hit against them. From that point of view Kallis is probably no orphan there, and in fact his average against them is probably respectable when you look at it that way. Tendulkar aside

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It is extremely noteworthy. Of course it is.

But the fact is AB Devilliers, Graeme Smith, Ashwell Prince, Darryl Cullinan and Herschelle Gibbs are all not even in the same league as Sachin Tendulkar.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

But the fact is AB Devilliers, Graeme Smith, Ashwell Prince, Darryl Cullinan and Herschelle Gibbs are all not even in the same league as Sachin Tendulkar.
Kallis isn't in Tendulkar's league either though.

He's in the league above. :cool:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I agree to a point, to be fair to Kallis, Australia were the best team in the world for the majority of his career, like the West Indies of the 80's most of the world's top players career averages take a hit against them. From that point of view Kallis is probably no orphan there, and in fact his average against them is probably respectable when you look at it that way. Tendulkar aside
Yeah sure, and that's why Kallis is an all-time great batsman.

But his average against Australia, whether it be all together, and just at home and just away, is so far below what Sachin averages, whether it be at home, or away, or overall, that there is something to it.

Sachin was obviously better vs. Warne, but he's also just a better player of pace bowling.

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I take your point about Kallis not facing his own bowlers at home, but when every other South African batsman who's made a good number of runs struggles to average over 45, the fact that Kallis has averaged over 58 in South Africa is a very note-worthy achievement.

Batting records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
Yes and No, one would expect that players should be familiar with home conditions. 58 is a pretty decent average though by anyones measure of success

Mike5181

International Captain

Yeah but tbh there won't be many batsmen that will be able to experience 21 years of international cricket.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yes and No, one would expect that players should be familiar with home conditions. 58 is a pretty decent average though by anyones measure of success
Well yes, but when all South African batsmen are averaging between 35 and 47, it suggests that run scoring, even for home batsmen, is more difficult in South Africa, so for one guy to average over 58 in the same conditions is pretty special.

Ponting and Tendulkar have stellar home records as well, but neither of them stands above their team mates as much as Kallis does in that regard.