• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I apologise, I let my frustrations at these posts get the better of me clearly.

personal attacking posts such as this "care to read the posts or juz like to make smart ass comments that have no relevance as you are missing the context?"
That is not personal coz I felt it was obvious that you hadn't read the context of those posts or the history of the posters... We are all fans of the Indian team and of Sachin himself... And this one mistake doesn't mean our respect for the man or his innings goes down all that much. Personally felt he was batting as well as he has ever done.. Juz that when the defeat happened, it was hard to swallow that he didn't even try, inspite of being one of the greatest batsmen of all time... And honestly, I think he would want to rectify this the next time he gets a chance too, and hopefully as an Indian fan, he never gets that chance as that would mean us doing much better in the remaining games. :)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
In SA conditions only

Smith > Sehwag
Peterson = Gambhir
Amla > Dravid
Kallis = Tendulkar
Devilliers > Laxman
Prince >>> Raina
Boucher < Dhoni

Last edited:

0RI0N

State 12th Man
SA produces a clinical performance and ppl are talking about 1 batsmen on the losing side.
Thread has plumbed the depths in the last few pages tbh imho.

Edit: Still can't believe Jacques Hairnry Kallis finally scored a double hundred.

Kallis now equal with Jason Gillespie.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Anyone else think South Africa actually does have an equal or better batting line up than India?

Based on current form

Smith = Sehwag
Peterson < Gambhir
Amla > Dravid
Kallis = Tendulkar
Devilliers > Laxman
Prince > Raina
Boucher < Dhoni
Sehwag's better than Smith and Laxman's as good (at least) as De Villiers. Flawed way to compared two teams anyway.

Ruckus

International Captain
Well I don't mean to sound like a hater and I acknowledge that Tendulkar is truly a remarkable batsman and the best of the modern times, but it is pretty obvious and unanimous that he plays for personal records.
He should admit that instead of always trying to gloss over it. Why is it bad playing for records anyway? Anyone who is in his position, and has the chance to get 50 centuries, would be playing for it. Even the most team oriented players like Hussey clearly play for hundreds etc.

There is nothing to be ashamed about. Saying things like "50 is just another number" just comes across as false modesty. Why would you dedicate it to your father if it's just another number...

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, I'm pleased that Dhoni played such a good innings after being considered a walking wicket before the start of the series. Hopefully he can continue that.

About the batting comparison of the two sides, SA have a clear advantage regardless of reputations because all our batsmen play below their averages in SA. That's why this was always going to be such a tough tour for us.

Mike5181

International Captain
SA produces a clinical performance and ppl are talking about 1 batsmen on the losing side.
Thread has plumbed the depths in the last few pages tbh imho.

Edit: Still can't believe Jacques Hairnry Kallis finally scored a double hundred.

Kallis now equal with Jason Gillespie.
Isn't it fitting that Kallis isn't getting the props that he deserves? That has been one thing about him that won't change until he retires and there are only statistics to compare players by.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Wow, just noticed Kallis got man of the match.

Would have jointly given it to Steyn and Morkel.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair South Africa made 600 on that same pitch, so India probably should have made what they did, the fact that they struggled to do so with the help of the lower order (but not until the game was gone) doesn't really surprise me really
But we are supposed to be a **** attack and they are supposed to be the best in the world bar none...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
He should admit that instead of always trying to gloss over it. Why is it bad playing for records anyway? Anyone who is in his position, and has the chance to get 50 centuries, would be playing for it. Even the most team oriented players like Hussey clearly play for hundreds etc.

There is nothing to be ashamed about. Saying things like "50 is just another number" just comes across as false modesty. Why would you dedicate it to your father if it's just another number...
TBF, he probably dedicates every run he scores to his father. Heard that he was extremely close to him and lost him at a very young age as well... Can feel for the man.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
They will have their time. This is a 15 year in the waiting achievement. I think they saw it for what it's worth.
Don't really think it was special at all.. You almost make it seem as if they won't have given it to him had he made 189.. And they probably won't have, which is why it is more of a token gesture than an actual merit selection.

That said, most match and series awards seem to be given that way these days, few nice examples aside...