• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
:laugh:

Had Tendulkar failed and fallen early putting India 3/180 or so, when he came in, the knives would have been out as to how he's awful at saving a game.

But he scores a ton, and the knock is still pointless.

He should have just got himself timed out and not batted tbh.
lol Jono.. you are better than that. When did I say it was pointless...Juz read my FB status posts yesterday if you want to know what I thought of his knock. I thought it was a fab knock and unlike his earlier hundred against RSA when they were here in India, one that REALLY really gave me hopes that we were gonna pull it off afterall... Him and Dhoni played unbelievably well and it was gutting to see Dhoni get out the way he did (an excelent ball)...

The criticism is on what he did today and I feel it was really really bad that he didn't even try...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Juz to set the record straight, I think this is one of his finest hundreds and I would rate this above his 100 against England in the 4th innings in Chennai... And a knock which certain posters (if they stay true to form on how they seem to rate some of Lara's knocks) would write off as "cashing in during a lost cause" but one that was anything BUT that for anyone who actually cared to watch/follow the game...

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
To be fair it's a thrashing nonetheless
doesn't matter. I am sure Smith and Alviro would have hated to have to pad up again after being something like 500 in front in a ridiculously short time... And as Ian Chappell says, you always gotta make the opposition do what they hate to do.. You never know what intangible benefits it may yield in the future..

TumTum

Banned
Well I don't mean to sound like a hater and I acknowledge that Tendulkar is truly a remarkable batsman and the best of the modern times, but it is pretty obvious and unanimous that he plays for personal records. Of course he would never put the teams cause in danger just for the records, but there are many occasions over his career where he took advantage of match situations just for a little statistical boost. Most recent one that comes to mind is that match against SL, where Dhoni and Sangakkara didn't declare a draw and Sachin took his time and slowly made his way to a century from 80 odd. It was funny actually because Sanga got irritated and asked Walagedara to bowl wide outside off-stump, and Sachin kept leaving them, intriguing stalemate which looked like a small contest in itself.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
lol Jono.. you are better than that. When did I say it was pointless...Juz read my FB status posts yesterday if you want to know what I thought of his knock. I thought it was a fab knock and unlike his earlier hundred against RSA when they were here in India, one that REALLY really gave me hopes that we were gonna pull it off afterall... Him and Dhoni played unbelievably well and it was gutting to see Dhoni get out the way he did (an excelent ball)...

The criticism is on what he did today and I feel it was really really bad that he didn't even try...
Woah woah woah, I was replying to those saying Sachin didn't score under pressure a few pages back. I just replied immediately and didn't quote the posts because there were too many. I didn't know people were arguing over Sachin's singles until I just read those posts afterwards, as I just got home.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I have two problems with that

To what end? Defeat by how much is going to remain a footnote. The important thing is that there were at least 5 indian top order bats who got some runs on the board.

On one hand you don't expect them to survive five balls in an over. On the other hand you expect Tendulkar to carry them by shielding them to score 30+ runs. People gave credit to Laxaman for his belief in Ojah and Ishant, because it worked out. Here Sachin believed in these guys to keep out the balls and it didn't work out.

Do you realize how trivial it is to be picking up on that? Importantly, you are barking up the wrong ****ing tree. If the Indian bowlers and fielders didn't conceded 600+ runs at near 5 an over, there was every chance of saving this test. It was not Sachin who gave up.
lol.. It was the bowlers who gave up too.. who said they weren't? If it was so trivial then why the hell you people bother to defend him in this case? The posts were made in the immediate aftermath of the defeat and it is obvious that the most recent event would be the one under discussion.. If you had given it time, the discussions reg. the lack of penetration in bowling and lack of application in batting in the first innings would have come up.. Don't balme others just because you cannot take a simple and valid criticism of the great man. I was just arguing a week before about Sachin in that alcohol endorsement thread and was called a "Sachin fanboy". Hopefully DeusEx would have a better idea now of exactly who the fanboys are.. :p

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I have now edited my post HB so it is not referring to this ******** conversation regarding singles (I didn't see any of today's play), but the earlier posts about how useless Sachin's knock was :laugh: Classic.

One of my favourite CW moments. The greatest proof ever that he can't win sometimes.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Well I don't mean to sound like a hater and I acknowledge that Tendulkar is truly a remarkable batsman and the best of the modern times, but it is pretty obvious and unanimous that he plays for personal records. Of course he would never put the teams cause in danger just for the records, but there are many occasions over his career where he took advantage of match situations just for a little statistical boost. Most recent one that comes to mind is that match against SL, where Dhoni and Sangakkara didn't declare a draw and Sachin took his time and slowly made his way to a century from 80 odd. It was funny actually because Sanga got irritated and asked Walagedara to bowl wide outside off-stump, and Sachin kept leaving them, intriguing stalemate which looked like a small contest in itself.
See.. I don't have a problem with what happened in that SL match, just lke I don't have a problem at Kallis batting visibly slowly to ensure he got his 200... When you have so much time in hand to force a result or when the draw is a foregone conclusion, there is nothing wrong in playing for personal milestones, as you don't get the opportunity everytime. I am a firm believer in giving people certain time and telling them "Ok, you got so and so many overs to go before I declare. Ensure you go out there and get your runs before that." But if ANY batsman had done what Sachin did here, I would have been just as upset. Had we been trailing by a 100, I can understand him thinking you can never get there (I would still like him to have tried) but this just looked bad. :(

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I have now edited my post HB so it is not referring to this ******** conversation regarding singles (I didn't see any of today's play), but the earlier posts about how useless Sachin's knock was :laugh: Classic.

One of my favourite CW moments. The greatest proof ever that he can't win sometimes.
Indeed

Rant0r

International 12th Man
doesn't matter. I am sure Smith and Alviro would have hated to have to pad up again after being something like 500 in front in a ridiculously short time... And as Ian Chappell says, you always gotta make the opposition do what they hate to do.. You never know what intangible benefits it may yield in the future..
Oh get real... I can't believe that you're actually one eyed enough to believe that

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rant0r, you were warned yesterday about your overly aggressive posts and you appear to have taken no notice. You can disagree as vigorously as you like but attack the facts and the opinions rather than who you're talking to; calling people 12 years old, halfwits etc or telling them to get real isn't acceptable at all and if you keep it up you'll be banned,

Mike5181

International Captain
I think that is part of why he has become so great. That hunger and drive to continue to establish his name in the record books. Lets be honest he hasn't hung around all these years and continued to pile on the runs because India desperately need him, not with young players like Pujara, Kohli on the sidelines that could one day become great players in the future as well. This is a familiar characteristic in almost all great players even the likes of Kallis has time and time again been criticized for being a selfish player.

Last edited:

Rant0r

International 12th Man
I apologise, I let my frustrations at these posts get the better of me clearly.

personal attacking posts such as this "care to read the posts or juz like to make smart ass comments that have no relevance as you are missing the context?"

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Rant0r, you were warned yesterday about your overly aggressive posts and you appear to have taken no notice. You can disagree as vigorously as you like but attack the facts and the opinions rather than who you're talking to; calling people 12 years old, halfwits etc or telling them to get real isn't acceptable at all and if you keep it up you'll be banned,
Guys, this also means you can stop reporting his posts, as I've already warned him about them and linked them in the mod forum.