• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* India in South Africa

Ruckus

International Captain
Reserve obviously, that's what we were talking about. The whole discussion was about depth of Indian cricket, and how the spin bowling (Kartik, Mishra) and batting (Pujara, Vijay etc.) depth was the best it's ever been. But the fast bowling depth is awful
Oh sorry I misread "We've never had better batting depth. Ever." as "We've never had batting depth. Ever.

That's why I was confused. Sorry I made you write a whole paragraph for no reason :surrender

pasag

RTDAS
I've followed Indian cricket closely over the last 10 years, and every fan has always dreaded the day when we lost Sachin, Dravid and Laxman (Sehwag has recently been added to the bunch, whilst I never thought we'd miss Ganguly's batting much). Obviously the loss of these 4 players will still be extremely hard to cover, but never have we at any one time had players as talented as Vijay, Pujara, Kohli, Rohit Sharma and Badrinath all at the same time. It's gotten to the point where, on merit, Yuvraj (who is obviously isn't very good, but would walk into NZ, SL, WI and would be very close to making SL's team) should not even be near making the Indian batting lineup.

The ironic thing of course is despite all this depth, we're still playing Raina, who looks out of his league at test level when facing quality bowling.

But if you carefully look at some of the first choice backup batsman India has had in the past (Jaffer, Chopra, Karthik, Kaif (even though I liked him)) they have been far less talented.
Karthik was a good batsman, pity he didn't get more games. I think the Indian batting depth is good, although they might need some time to find their feet. I think the question will be can they be that good that they can win matches with scoreboard pressure that helps average bowlers win matches.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Lol @ people changing their opinions about the Indian test team drastically due to one match which we still have a 5% chance of drawing anyway. Would absolutely love it if we draw this one and emerge as equals. Would be a nice egg on the face for the haters.

Won't happen though.
And specially a one in which the toss played such a massive part plus after no warm up games.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Gambhir really is a friggin gun in 2nd digs. Can bat a long time yet score at a decent pace. Not always easy to occupy the crease and frustrate bowlers with risk free play, whilst also score runs.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
And specially a one in which the toss played such a massive part plus after no warm up games.
I agree the toss hurt India but stop trying to excuse all out for 136. That was disgraceful whether we lost the toss or not, whether we had practice games or not.

Contra

Cricketer Of The Year
please no more wickets for the day.

I must say though that Gambhir just simply missed that. Right after a drinks break.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Ah bad light was taken earlier in previous days, that's right. So more like 3-4 left.

Fair enough.