• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah looks better than I thought he did does young Smith. Obviously havent seen enough of him, but certainly looks like he could at least be test class. Not sure about Hughes though.

Spark

Global Moderator
He's looked decisive in whatever shot hes played, which is more than you can say for alot of the batsmen.

Still he plays a long way out in front and a way from his body.
Obviously he still hasn't quite got his judgement quite right but for a 21 year old, pretty good.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
These two look ok considering the carnage that has gone before. With it being a good pitch to bat on i expect them to rattle up a decent partnership after lunch and put Autralia back in the game.
DWTA. I completely expect England to bowl much better after lunch and clean up the tail for under 50 runs.

See, I can do it too.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Day 1, Session 1:

The Good

Jimmy & Trem. Quality bowling. Not that much help from the pitch either, Jimmy's been getting his natural movement and Tremlett bowled a stunner to nab Hughes.

Mike Hussey. Up for a fight.

England's fielding, specifically Prior & Colly. Straus dropped a very tough one, ohter than that it's been near faultless.

The Bad

All the Aussie top four. Ricky frigging Ponting, you are better than that. I'm convinced Shane Watson is nowhere near patient enough to be a long-term Test opener.

The Ugly

Steven Finn. Usual mixture of a couple of great balls, some good length without movement, a fair few **** ones and a godawful haircut.

Steve Smith. Defense, leaves, shots, face, everything.

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah looks better than I thought he did does young Smith. Obviously havent seen enough of him, but certainly looks like he could at least be test class. Not sure about Hughes though.
I don't think Hughes will be a long-term liability. He is the kind of player who needs to get some rhythm and settle his nerves, and constantly shifting him in and out of the team isn't going to aid his performance. It's kind of good that Katich is out injured for a while, because it should give him an extended opportunity to get back into the swing of things. I just hope that the selectors don't do something rash like dropping him and using Khawaja as an opener.

kingkallis

International Coach
Pretty sure Tremmers could take him, tbh. :ph34r:

Seriously tho, I reckon it's the "body language" thing. Because he doesn't jog back to his mark and call the batsman a "****" after every ball it's easy & lazy to say he's a soft ****.

Gus Fraser had the worst body language ever, trudged back to his mark with the demeanor of Eeoyre after getting a higher than expected gas bill, but has been probably the best English seamer I've seen since I've been watching.
He was good against the Aussies and Windies. Used to take 5+ wickets on regular interval against the Windies back in early 90s.

hazsa19

International Regular
I don't think Hughes will be a long-term liability. He is the kind of player who needs to get some rhythm and settle his nerves, and constantly shifting him in and out of the team isn't going to aid his performance. It's kind of good that Katich is out injured for a while, because it should give him an extended opportunity to get back into the swing of things. I just hope that the selectors don't do something rash like dropping him and using Khawaja as an opener.
But his technique just looks all wrong! Does he still shift his back foot towards the on side when he's scoring runs or is it just a form thing?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Willis, Botham, Underwood...?
Underwood predated Snow tbf.

Yeah I thought he was better than Willis, who I thought was a trier.

Botham at his peak was better, but through their careers I thought Fraser was better.

EDIT: for those who might be interested. I heard a short radio interview with Frank Tyson last night. Apparently there 's a segment ont eh cricket show about him during the Boxing Day test.

Might be worth a look for those who love the history of the game.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Agree with Burgey, Fraser was a damn excellent bowler. Troubled us in every match he played. Just nagged away and bowled very few loose balls.

Burgey

He's fixed that. Just watch his technique when he scores a 100 in the 2nd innings.
Yeah, now he's just playing all over balls he could defend straight down the pitch.

I'm a big Hughes fan. I really rate the kid, but he seems all over the shop atm mentally. He's a great kid, and a truly nice bloke with it. I hope he kicks on.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, now he's just playing all over balls he could defend straight down the pitch.
But is this the way that Hughes has always played throughout his career, or is it just because he's out of form?

If it's the latter, it's mind-boggling how he can average what he does after a reasonable sample of games.

Howe_zat

Audio File
You know I wouldn't be surprised if Australia still manage 300. Hussey's a tough bastard, Haddin's in form, etc. etc. All still to play for.

Burgey

You know I wouldn't be surprised if Australia still manage 300. Hussey's a tough bastard, Haddin's in form, etc. etc. All still to play for.
Long way off but yeah, these two plus Haddin are so important.

Be interesting to see if there's still something in this when we bowl. If our blokes pitch it up, the likes of Siddle could do well here. Course, if they drop short it will be horrible for them.

Last edited: