• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

Spark

Global Moderator
What did Hodge say that was incorrect? And in fact, he didn't repeat himself. He specifically spoke about CA contract meetings, and how they give you no advice or tips as to what you need to do.

He made a lot of sense. Good on him for saying it.
Nothing was incorrect, but...

"If the selectors didn't like it five or six years ago when I'm making thousands and thousands of runs, well it's not good enough now, is it?
"I mean I can't score any more runs because that's what I've done for a decade."
The bloke does not miss a chance to push his own cart.

TumTum

Banned
It will become even more annoying when we get a ball by ball analysis of how every delivery is gash.
For that reason I will have the counter on my sig only, with the occasional sarcastic post added in to compliment his great bowling performance. Although I am sure many of you here would be spewing your hatred towards him when the time comes anyway.

DeusEx said:
I reckon a lot of Hughes' bad form recently could be attributed to his mind not being fully on the game at hand. Ever since he was kicked out of the test team, I just get the feeling he was trying to hard or something to impress selectors. Now that he has been chosen again, he looks really happy and sounds extremely confident. Even though Katich is a gun, I hope Hughes gets good returns in this series because I really feel he should be a permanent member of the squad.
Yeah you (and nufan) may be right. In fact most of his dismissals except the outswinger he got by Sami you feel could have been avoided. How many times did he go out to a ball that has bowled him or lbw? (he got lbw against Harris attempting the sweep a couple of times ftr, but they were not really threatening deliveries).

If he gets his mind straight, you feel who would perform much better. He is a type of batsman that could take the conditions out of play and make the bowling look much worse than it actually is. Apart from his short ball problems he hasn't really been troubled by anything else.

S Chanderpaul

U19 Vice-Captain
What's this nonsense about Hughes being like Sehwag?

Sehwag continuously scores at 80+ in Test matches, Hughes doesn't even do that in Domestic matches! Every scorecard I've seen lately has had Hughes scoring at around 40/50 or out for a low score. Very very Sehwag like indeed. :laugh:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
What's this nonsense about Hughes being like Sehwag?

Sehwag continuously scores at 80+ in Test matches, Hughes doesn't even do that in Domestic matches! Every scorecard I've seen lately has had Hughes scoring at around 40/50 or out for a low score. Very very Sehwag like indeed. :laugh:
I can see the comparisons. Obviously Sehwag scores quicker at this stage, but they're both very strong on the cut, both open the batting with success despite pretty unorthodox techniques and are naturally aggressive. Hughes is still only young; it wouldn't surprise me that much if he turned out to be a Sehwag-like player in the future.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Hearing the same green top baloney that was talked about before Hobart..the way it turned out..we all know.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hearing the same green top baloney that was talked about before Hobart..the way it turned out..we all know.
2 years ago, Oz picked Tait vs India on the basis that the pitch would be like days gone by

Fact is that the pitch has been a road for quite some time

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Hodge is an arsehole though. I don't know how Hauritz could offend, well, anyone, really.
Read an article by David Hopps which suggested the powers that be in CA were tired of Hauritz's reluctance to play through niggles, so it's probably a perceived lack of aris.

Hodge does seem an egregiously dislikeable individual tho. He might be a great bloke who just doesn't interview well (suspect not, but benefit of doubt and that) but he comes off as arrogant and, to put it bluntly, as a bit of a thicko too.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Read an article by David Hopps which suggested the powers that be in CA were tired of Hauritz's reluctance to play through niggles, so it's probably a perceived lack of aris.

Hodge does seem an egregiously dislikeable individual tho. He might be a great bloke who just doesn't interview well (suspect not, but benefit of doubt and that) but he comes off as arrogant and, to put it bluntly, as a bit of a thicko too.
Given that one of the pre-requisites for being an elite sportsman is definitely not intelligence, the notion that he isnt too smart doesnt bother me one way or another

However, thick or not, he should've played more tests and should be one of the first players picked for the WC.

If he isnt picked for the WC, it reflects worse on CA than on him tbh and I completely understand his frustration at seeing a relative hack like North being givn so many opportunities

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
When wiill these journos wake up! Every pitch is a ****ing green top two or three days out.

The monring of or the day before the game, the curator will shave the grass off and throughout the five 30 degree days, the pitch will dry out rapidly.

tooextracool

International Coach
Given that one of the pre-requisites for being an elite sportsman is definitely not intelligence, the notion that he isnt too smart doesnt bother me one way or another

However, thick or not, he should've played more tests and should be one of the first players picked for the WC.

If he isnt picked for the WC, it reflects worse on CA than on him tbh and I completely understand his frustration at seeing a relative hack like North being givn so many opportunities
This brings up an interesting point to be honest. A lot of us 'armchair' critics tend to be overcritical of the selectors and the management based solely on the performances we see on the field. What if a player has a disruptive reputation in the change room? Perhaps in cases such as Bresnan there is a bit of favoritism that may occur based on relationships with other players/management, but in some cases such as Symonds and perhaps Hodge is it okay for them to maintain no basic team discipline or respect for other players and still be guaranteed a place in their side?

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
we were 3 down and Ponting was dropped first ball. he and clarke then put on about 300.

Spark

Global Moderator
About 350 IIRC. Was a mammoth partnership, and just what I'd be hoping to see.

EDIT: He was talking about the test in January I thought.

Last edited: