• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Third Test at the WACA

howardj

International Coach
Hate how they're blabbing on about a WACA green top. Every pitch is green three days out from the game, especially when 30+ degrees is forecast for the duration of the Test. Whiny bastard, aren't I. Not as bad as Brad Hodge though.

For mine, Hodgey never really belted the door down like a Hayden, Blewett. He'd have the odd magnificent summer, followed by a couple of Summers of Nothing. That said, he was stiff to not tour SA in 2006 after finally cracking the Test team.

Even more stiff when you consider that his replacement went AWOL later in the year.

Bloody Marto :laugh:

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Michael Clock and Jason Giuseppe are just lol.

Hodge desperately, desperately unlucky not to get picked once Martyn retired as well. But, as they say, such is life and cricket and the bloke needs to get the **** over it.

Last edited:

howardj

International Coach
If I could indulge...we had a girl in our firm do a Marto at the start of this year off the back of the Xmas break. She flat out didn't return to work, with no contact. Only a threat to report her to Missing Persons finally smoked a proper resignation out of her. lol

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If I could indulge...we had a girl in our firm do a Marto at the start of this year off the back of the Xmas break. She flat out didn't return to work, with no contact. Only a threat to report her to Missing Persons finally smoked a proper resignation out of her. lol
That and the ***ual harrasment claim she made against you :ph34r:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The irony is if they didn't have so many whiny ****s and more players I actually liked playing I'd probably support them.

---

Watching Inside Cricket now. FMD Junior is such a ****ing gun - "Everything will come under the spotlight, the captain, the coach, the physio, the selectors, to the physio, to the freakin' computer man..."
Junior such a funny commentator

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
I swear for the last 10 years, the WACA currators and some others always come out into the media and rave on about how " The WACA has regained the same bounce as it had 20 years ago ". How about " We have gone back to using the same soil in the pitch when we did 20 years ago ". In reality though, it's a real flat track 90% of the time these days.

TumTum

Banned
Joker role for Steven Smith
"I've been told that I've got to come into the side and be fun," Smith said at the WACA. "For me, it's about having energy in the field and making sure I'm having fun and making sure everyone else around is having fun, whether it be telling a joke or something like that. It's to make sure we're all upbeat and we're ready to go. I think that's something I can bring to this side."
Circus is in town :clown: Good on him to acknowledge that he is a joke. I'll be running a Smith slog counter when he's batting and a Smith filth counter when he's bowling. Should help to lighten everyone's mood if we happen to lose the Ashes.
Ponting admires Smith's talent but indicated after the Pakistan series in July that his batting was not quite at the elite standard.
...would be an understatement.

Australia v England, 3rd Test: Phillip Hughes confident he won't short out | Cricket News | The Ashes 2010-11 | ESPN Cricinfo

I have been watching some highlights of his innings in Cardiff and it is surprising how bad his technique looked back then, even when he was striking the ball well. Moving his feet around randomly before the bowler bowled, back leg moving to the leg side etc. IMO he has been working on his technique, which was mentioned in the Australia A game. He looks so much more calmer now and looks to have adopted a more front-on stance.

One thing that will never change with him is his attacking ability and his sheer determination to keep scoring runs. All the best Hughes!

Burgey

I think Hughes has the type of technique whereby his movements and ugliness are emphasised when he's out of form. Exaggerated footwork and gross movements in so different a technique don't make for nice viewing IMO.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Joker role for Steven Smith

Circus is in town :clown: Good on him to acknowledge that he is a joke. I'll be running a Smith slog counter when he's batting and a Smith filth counter when he's bowling. Should help to lighten everyone's mood if we happen to lose the Ashes.

...would be an understatement.
Change the record already because this one's been long broke.

TumTum

Banned
I think Hughes has the type of technique whereby his movements and ugliness are emphasised when he's out of form. Exaggerated footwork and gross movements in so different a technique don't make for nice viewing IMO.
Agree, but I think he has improved that part of his game. What worries me more now is that he has been edging quite a lot of balls outside the off-stump, not sure if that it is because he is a bit out of form or that he is trying to change his game.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Agree, but I think he has improved that part of his game. What worries me more now is that he has been edging quite a lot of balls outside the off-stump, not sure if that it is because he is a bit out of form or that he is trying to change his game.
It's because he's out of form and he looks like a batsman who loves ball onto bat. He's not much of a leaver which naturally can cause more edges especially early on against quality bowlers.

Ruckus

International Captain
I reckon a lot of Hughes' bad form recently could be attributed to his mind not being fully on the game at hand. Ever since he was kicked out of the test team, I just get the feeling he was trying to hard or something to impress selectors. Now that he has been chosen again, he looks really happy and sounds extremely confident. Even though Katich is a gun, I hope Hughes gets good returns in this series because I really feel he should be a permanent member of the squad.

Burgey

If it gets OTT a mod will say something.

Mind you, no less annoying than a "Lawry/ Greig/ Taylor/ Healy/Slater are ****" series of posts every 30 seconds.

Not directed at you btw, NO.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
What did Hodge say that was incorrect? And in fact, he didn't repeat himself. He specifically spoke about CA contract meetings, and how they give you no advice or tips as to what you need to do.

He made a lot of sense. Good on him for saying it.