• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
This. This. This.

The sooner we get it through our heads that NZ does not have to revolve around "a hardworking honest team with a few stars who beat good opposition on their day" the better. It seems to date back ages, and just because up until 1980 we were that sort of side, it does not mean we have to be one now or should aim to be one.

That 1980 side was not a team full of **** with a few jems Hurricane or whoever rated it. Crowe and Hadlee were world class, Wright barring his first two seasons averaged 40+ in an era of great bowlers, and Coney likewise started ****e but became a very good batsman, better than average. Check out his crazy home record. Smith was a world class keeper as well, not to mention for 19 tests we had a certain John Fulton Reid in the middle order aka the other Reid.

Interestingly enough, our best cricketer of the 2000s, Shane Bond, utterly refutes this hardworking untalented triers revolving around good players bull****. After the 2007 WC semi, Hadlee gave him a telling off for talking NZ up in an interview saying NZ play best as underdogs, and good old Bondy ignored him. He believes we fail because players cruise through the lower ranks on natural ability then hit test cricket and realise you have equals and you need to work for everything, but often the NZ players don't. I'm inclined to agree.
This was beegees thing not mine.

That said I took a look at the scorecard from that 1985 game and the players to a man performed to the ratings that beegee gave them. Edgar was out for 17 - Crowe got 188.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Just saw the result. Horrendous.

So we've taken, what, three wickets in their last 500 or so runs against us in ODIs? One of which was a run out. Fantastic.

Blaze 18

Banned
I completely forgot there was a match today - just checked the scorecard on cricinfo. Looks like it was kinda one-sided. I really don't know what the issue is with New Zealand; they have a good side on paper, but they are struggling to produce the goods.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Good to see India stringing some good ODI form together. Our ODI cricket has been inconsistent at the best of times.

Howsie

International Captain
Yeah, Franklin's comfortably one of New Zealand's best players in both formats now - especially Tests. Just needs to get his head right and stop being such a flake.
Unless he bat's in the top three Franklin ain't getting near the test team bowling at 120K.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
WAG. Great call bar Scotty the Hotty
FIGJAM.:happy:

We really are awful at the moment aren't we. I haven't been paying much attention to the ODI's, but getting slapped around by the India 1.5 XI just six months out from the WC is a bit dispiriting. It's just about time to call it a write-off and start building to the next one (if there is a next one) on this kind of form.

It's hard to see how everything's gone so spectacularly wrong in the last 12 months. The only player that we're genuinely missing from the side that made it to the CT final is Bond, and while that is a large loss, he played less of a roll in our success at that competition than you'd think. I'll be interested in how we do against Pakistan at home. That'll be a decent marker of where this team is.

Team for world cup.
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Williamson/Elliot
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
MILNE!!!!!! WHO CARES IF HE'S 18, DOESN'T SWING IT, DOESN'T YET HAVE THE PACE TO TROUBLE INTL BATSMAN AND WILL PROBABLY DEVELOP A STRESS FRACTURE THAT WILL TURN HIM INTO GRAEME ALDRIDGE BY THE TIME HE'S 23!!! GETTIMINDATEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike5181

International Captain

We really are awful at the moment aren't we. I haven't been paying much attention to the ODI's, but getting slapped around by the India 1.5 XI just six months out from the WC is a bit dispiriting. It's just about time to call it a write-off and start building to the next one (if there is a next one) on this kind of form.

It's hard to see how everything's gone so spectacularly wrong in the last 12 months. The only player that we're genuinely missing from the side that made it to the CT final is Bond, and while that is a large loss, he played less of a roll in our success at that competition than you'd think. I'll be interested in how we do against Pakistan at home. That'll be a decent marker of where this team is.

Team for world cup.
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Williamson/Elliot
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
MILNE!!!!!! WHO CARES IF HE'S 18, DOESN'T SWING IT, DOESN'T YET HAVE THE PACE TO TROUBLE INTL BATSMAN AND WILL PROBABLY DEVELOP A STRESS FRACTURE THAT WILL TURN HIM INTO GRAEME ALDRIDGE BY THE TIME HE'S 23!!! GETTIMINDATEAM!!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree, we should put him in he cant be much worse than what we have and he has legit pace which is why mckay was there in the first place. The batsmen in county cricket must be pretty overrated if Franklin can have the record he does against them. I want Wagner in there as soon as he is eligible as well.

Flem274*

123/5

Team for world cup.
Ryder
Guptill
Taylor
Styris
Williamson/Elliot
McCullum
Oram
Vettori
Mills
Tuffey
I agree, we should put him in he cant be much worse than what we have and he has legit pace which is why mckay was there in the first place. The batsmen in county cricket must be pretty overrated if Franklin can have the record he does against them. I want Wagner in there as soon as he is eligible as well.
:lol:

Flem274*

123/5
Agree about Milne though Bahnz, and by the sounds of it the CD management do too (Bond and Hamilton have been quoted in a few articles). He isn't even bowling in the high 140s consistently yet because he's not that old and they don't want him getting injured. Bond/Hamilton are working with him and finding the right times to give the domestic batsmen a spray of speed.

I'll try and find the article.

He did get a slight hint of movement from what I saw (I flicked through the recording with 30 minutes to go before work yesterday) but not as much as Dougeh and it was all after the ball passed the bat anyway.

I'm not too worried about him swinging it yet though, plenty of time to develop those deliveries unless the selectors pull him into the national setup. He can bowl quickly with reasonable accuracy, which in itself is a good achievement for an 18 year old. I'm getting the impression from the articles I've read that they're just focussing on him bowling quick consistently with good fitness and with some modicum of control on where he's putting it.

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
I completely forgot there was a match today - just checked the scorecard on cricinfo. Looks like it was kinda one-sided. I really don't know what the issue is with New Zealand; they have a good side on paper, but they are struggling to produce the goods.
Can think of few reasons,

1) Missing Ryder in the top order. He is someone who can take on the bowling attack right from the outset. There is no real pressure on the Indian bowlers at the moment. Its time Guptill becomes a bit consistent. He seems to throw away some great opportunities to make big runs.

2) Williamson : He's a tad slow for my liking. And if you are playing that slow, you need to make sure you stick around and contribute something substantial. Hope he would improve on that.

3) Their lower order is doing quite well. Just that someone from the top order has to take some initiative to take on the attack to the Indian new ball bowlers. Maybe Mccullum can show the way. He wasn't available for the first 2 odi's.

4) Bowling has been below par. Mills has been disappointing. So has been Mckay. Personally had high hopes for him. Vettori seems to be the only one who can hold atleast.

Nz has got the ingredients to be a decent side. Though their bowling looks weak, they can definitely better in the batting department.