• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Mike5181

International Captain
My use of the term "crap" is grade A hyperbole. But here is an example of how I would rate players of the Hadlee era (as a sample I chose the '85 team that beat the Aussies in Brisbane):

BA Edgar - Poor
JG Wright - Good
JF Reid - Good
MD Crowe - Good
JV Coney - Average
JJ Crowe - Poor
VR Brown - Poor
RJ Hadlee - Great
IDS Smith - Average
MC Snedden - Poor
EJ Chatfield - Average
Do that with the current team now. Should be interesting :-O

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
I wish Franklin could still bowl 140ks for the pure fact if he did when Hopkins was up to the stumps he might've broken his ****ing hands.

Though that would probably be an improvement.

Mike5181

International Captain
Might as well play a part time wicketkeeper who is a full on batsmen if Hopkins is going to play

Last edited:

kingkallis

International Coach
What is with Indian selections these days? His bowling strike rate is worse than Yusuf Pathan, his average is worse than Yusuf Pathan, he bowls at least seven overs a game unlike Yusuf 'part-timer' Pathan and is not even one-fourth the batsman Yusuf is. And he's had a virtually unquestioned place in the ODI side and they still turn to him.
I agree. Jadeja is a waste @ No.7 and if SRT, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Kohli, MSD fails to play on a wicket then Jadeja wont either. In that case Yusuf fits in @ No.7 with Ashwin @ No.8 or 9

On our Indian wickets this line up looks really handy :

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Mahendra Singh Dhoni ( c & + )
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan
Ashish Nehra / Munaf Patel

Harbhajan is useless in ODIs.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
My use of the term "crap" is grade A hyperbole. But here is an example of how I would rate players of the Hadlee era (as a sample I chose the '85 team that beat the Aussies in Brisbane):

BA Edgar - Poor
JG Wright - Good
JF Reid - Good
MD Crowe - Good
JV Coney - Average
JJ Crowe - Poor
VR Brown - Poor
RJ Hadlee - Great
IDS Smith - Average
MC Snedden - Poor
EJ Chatfield - Average
Bruce Edgar was a good servant of NZ cricket and was my fav player for a long time. Had a wonderful back foot punch to the on side. His avg was`lowish it is true.

Mike5181

International Captain
I agree. Jadeja is a waste @ No.7 and if SRT, Sehwag, Gambhir, Yuvraj, Kohli, MSD fails to play on a wicket then Jadeja wont either. In that case Yusuf fits in @ No.7 with Ashwin @ No.8 or 9

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

I agree, i would put Kohli in there though instead of Raina and put him at 4 and drop Dhoni down to 6 leaving Yuvraj at 5. With this team India will be a strong WC competitor.

Bun

Banned

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

No Virat Kohli?

Harbhajan has taken 51 wickets @ 31 and an eco rate of 4.71 in last 3 years. That ER is splendid considering the roads India have played on.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

You missed out Kohli in the line up. He will replace Yusuf/Raina depending on Raina's form, with Yuvraj and Sehwag filling in a couple of overs. I think Harbhajan will retain his spot comfortably over Ashwin. Ashwin hasn't been tested with classy opposition just yet, although something tells me he'll do just fine.

Why is Harbhajan useless in ODIs? His batting is useful and he's been one of India's more successful bowlers in the last two years. He'll come good in the WC, mark my words.

EDIT: Didn't see the above reply 8-) AWTA completely

Last edited:

M0rphin3

International Debutant

Virender Sehwag
Sachin Tendulkar
Gautam Gambhir
Yuvraj Singh
Suresh Raina
Yusuf Pathan
Ravi Ashwin
Praveen Kumar
Zaheer Khan

Yusuf Pathan out->Kohli in, Kumar out->Harby in. Rest looks fine. And Harbhajan ain't useless in ODIs. He is decent enough and is a good lower order bat (ala Asia cup vs Pakistan)

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
Did James Franklin really just score 72*? I've just got home from work and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Not surprised, pleasantly or otherwise, to see India 137/1 though.

Mike5181

International Captain
Did James Franklin really just score 72*? I've just got home from work and I'm pleasantly surprised.

Not surprised, pleasantly or otherwise, to see India 137/1 though.
Yeah he played pretty well to be honest, his sweep is pretty good as well. His bowling is pretty average though.

Flem274*

123/5
This "player to carry the team" obsession is probably holding New Zealand back if it's more than just you that holds this opinion tbh.
This. This. This.

The sooner we get it through our heads that NZ does not have to revolve around "a hardworking honest team with a few stars who beat good opposition on their day" the better. It seems to date back ages, and just because up until 1980 we were that sort of side, it does not mean we have to be one now or should aim to be one.

That 1980 side was not a team full of **** with a few jems Hurricane or whoever rated it. Crowe and Hadlee were world class, Wright barring his first two seasons averaged 40+ in an era of great bowlers, and Coney likewise started ****e but became a very good batsman, better than average. Check out his crazy home record. Smith was a world class keeper as well, not to mention for 19 tests we had a certain John Fulton Reid in the middle order aka the other Reid.

Interestingly enough, our best cricketer of the 2000s, Shane Bond, utterly refutes this hardworking untalented triers revolving around good players bull****. After the 2007 WC semi, Hadlee gave him a telling off for talking NZ up in an interview saying NZ play best as underdogs, and good old Bondy ignored him. He believes we fail because players cruise through the lower ranks on natural ability then hit test cricket and realise you have equals and you need to work for everything, but often the NZ players don't. I'm inclined to agree.