• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Mike5181

International Captain
"For the record, Vettori has averaged 27 with the bat in ODIs since 1 Nov 2009. "

Yeah but a decent amount of that has been at 6 so its not as great as it sounds

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Well who's worse than that and plays at full strength? :confused:
Full strength number sevens are guys like Steve Smith, David Miller, Dhoni, Perera, Afridi, Yardy etc.

He's not a power hitter and he's not a genuine finisher like a Bevan, Hussey or Dhoni. He's a #8. He could only claim to be better than whoever the West Indies bat at seven in any given ODI (Baugh, Ramdin etc) and maybe Yardy I suppose but all the other top-eight teams have a better #7 than Vettori.
Besides Dhoni they're all incredibly debatable.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Jadeja's the worst #7 to regularly get a game. Also the single worst bowler lately to get at least seven overs a game. Also an economy-oriented bowler easily hit for sixes and fours. Also an economy-oriented bowler pushing five an over on slow wickets.

What is with Indian selections these days? His bowling strike rate is worse than Yusuf Pathan, his average is worse than Yusuf Pathan, he bowls at least seven overs a game unlike Yusuf 'part-timer' Pathan and is not even one-fourth the batsman Yusuf is. And he's had a virtually unquestioned place in the ODI side and they still turn to him.

Ashwin, on the other hand, has been a very impressive newcomer, and a good one for the near future and maybe beyond.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
He is a far far better Test bat than ODI.
You're talking about Franklin right? Much better Test bowler too.

Really, we're talking about a played who proved himself as a Test standard opening bowler before getting injured who is still capable of bowling pretty similar stuff (135kph at times, big left arm outswingers) when he doesn't drop his head, and now bats in the top five for First Class teams around the world with great success. His bowling has declined a bit since his injury but I honestly think that's more mental than physical - much like everything with Franklin. He's got everything going for him to be a very good Test cricketer; he just needs to back himself more.

Last edited:

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
RA Jadeja 7 0 40 0 5.71

He has to be sucking some dick to still be playing, it just has to be

Athlai

Not Terrible
You're talking about Franklin right? Much better Test bowler too.

Really, we're talking about a played who proved himself as a Test standard opening bowler before getting injured who is still capable of bowling pretty similar stuff (135kph, big left arm outswingers outswingers) when he doesn't drop his head, and now bats in the top five for First Class teams around the world with great success. His bowling has declined a bit since his injured but I honestly think that's more mental than physical - much like everything with Franklin. He's got everything going for him to be a very good Test cricketer; he just needs to back himself more.
135? A stretch these days. Maaaaaybe if he really bent his back he'd crank it up to 135. Still bowling better than he has done in year by all reports.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
135? A stretch these days. Maaaaaybe if he really bent his back he'd crank it up to 135. Still bowling better than he has done in year by all reports.
I've seen him bowl a couple of spells at 135 since his injury. He's capable of doing it, even if not consistently. I get the feeling he could do it a lot more often if he backed himself and took it seriously, but I might be being a bit harsh.

BeeGee

International Captain
I don't really agree. It's the nature of cricket - particularly batting - that players won't always perform and that they'll go through rough patches, have off tours etc. The problem isn't that Taylor has underperformed, it's that when he does (and it will happen sometimes, like it does with any batsman) New Zealand can't carry him and work through it as they have permanent passengers, particularly in these conditions. The key to having a good cricket team is having eleven good players who can all step up and perform on a semi-regular basis; not putting stupid amounts of pressure on a couple of players and accepting that you're playing with 7 men every game.
Yes, that would be great.... IF NZ could produce at least one international quality player in each position... which they can't. Remember the Hadlee era? One great player, a couple of good players, the rest were crap and NZ enjoyed one of it's most successful periods in international cricket.

Days of Grace

International Captain
It helped that Australia and England were at their lowest ebbs in the mid-1980s, though.

West Indies were way out in front with only Pakistan providing some competition.