• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best all time XI for each country

Fusion

Global Moderator
Rashid Latif over Moin Khan? Don't know much about other Pakistani wicketkeeper-batsmen.
Rashid Latif and Wasim Bari are the two best pure keepers Pakistan produced. Moin was a more competent bat than them, but his keeping was certainly not at the same level. I guess if you prefer to strengthen the batting, Moin can be selected as the keeper. It's not like he was terrible, a la butterfingers Akmal. Personally, I'd rather go with the safer option behind the stumps. I figure a difficult (or two) chance taken by the keeper is worth more than the extra runs that Moin will provide.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wonder whether Rashid Latif didn't play more then. Was he also involved in any of the controversies in the '90s?

Fusion

Global Moderator
I wonder whether Rashid Latif didn't play more then. Was he also involved in any of the controversies in the '90s?
Well he was the original whistle-blower on the match fixing scandal that hit Pak in the '90's. Though that controversy kept him out of the team briefly, the reason he didn't get selected at other times was because of Moin's superior bat. Moin and Rashid's career pretty much coincided with each other's.

AaronK

State Regular
I would pick Moin over Latif any day.. in any format. Moin Khan was a fighter.. he saved pakistan so many times during crucial moments.. he was in the top of his game during 99 world cup and his hard hiting batting got pakistan to final.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Might do a couple

Aus
1.Victor Trumper
2.Matthew Hayden
3.Sir Donald Bradman
4.Greg Chappell
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Kieth Miller
7.Adam Gilchrist
8.Alan Davidson
9.Shane Warne
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Glenn Mcgrath

Davidson gets the nod over Oreilly because | don't like 5 man attacks with 2 spinners. He also gets ahead of Lindwall due to being a lefty and therefore adding superior variety without weakening the attack.

SA
1.Graeme Smith
2.Barry Richards
3.Graeme Pollock
4.Jacques Kallis
5.Dudley Nourse
6.Aubrey Faulkner
7.John Waite
8.Mike Proctor
9.Shaun Pollock
10.Alan Donald
11.Neil Adcock

For me, the hardest part of picking this XI is the keeper. Any of Boucher, Waite, Lindsay or Cameron would be fine.
The Aus side that you have picked here is IMO perfect. It would be very difficult seeing any side, beating them. Only the all time WI XI would have a chance, and even then Warne + Bradman is better than 4th seamer + all time great bat.

Aus
1.Victor Trumper
2.Matthew Hayden
3.Sir Donald Bradman (c)
4.Greg Chappell
5.Ricky Ponting
6.Kieth Miller
7.Adam Gilchrist+
8.Alan Davidson
9.Shane Warne
10.Dennis Lillee
11.Glenn Mcgrath

vs

WI
Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Lara
Richards (c)
Sobers
Dujon+
Marshall
Garner
Holding
Ambrose

I'm unsure on the batting order of the WI tail but that side is IMO the strongest. Harsh on Weekes and Walcott though.

Zinzan

New Zealand

A lot of those guys are in there on County records and FC games against top test sides as much as "test" records. We just didn't play enough tests early on. If I were to make the qualification 20 tests or so, I'd go with:

Glenn Turner
John Wright
Bert Sutcliffe
Martin Crowe (c)
John F. Reid
John R. Reid
Chris Cairns
Richard Hadlee
Bruce Taylor
Adam Parore (wk)
Richard Collinge

Played 19 tests :whistling

kingkallis

International Coach
No Shaun Pollock? There are enough all-rounders already in any SA side, so I will rather take Pollock who can claim a spot on the basis of one skill alone over Clive Rice who perhaps cannot. Not having played test cricket is also an issue. Tayfield in place of Adcock is a strong case too. One quality spinner is needed.
I think I agree with Ankit and would replace Clive Rice with Shaun Pollock.

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
WI
Greenidge
Hunte
Headley
Lara
Richards (c)
Sobers
Dujon+
Marshall
Garner
Holding
Ambrose

I'm unsure on the batting order of the WI tail but that side is IMO the strongest. Harsh on Weekes and Walcott though.
I honestly think Frank Worrell should be considered as an opener in the WI X!. I know for a fact that he played a few times there and scored perhaps his greatest ever innings, 196* against England. Adding his captaincy status makes it an even more compelling choice.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Len Hutton (c)
Stanley Jackson
Michael Vaughan
Wilfred Rhodes
Joe Hunter (wk)
Fred Trueman
Chris Old
Bobby Peel
Darren Gough

12th man Ray Illingworth
:thumbup:

Blakus

State Vice-Captain
Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Len Hutton (c)
Stanley Jackson
Michael Vaughan
Wilfred Rhodes
Joe Hunter (wk)
Fred Trueman
Chris Old
Bobby Peel
Darren Gough

12th man Ray Illingworth
Yorkshire XI is it? Reckon you should put in George Hirst somewhere. Not the greatest test stats but a beast at first-class level.

Himannv

International Coach
Pre-war England

Jack Hobbs
W.G Grace
Herbert Sutcliffe
Wally Hammond
Ranjitsinji
Wilfred Rhodes
Les Ames
Harold Larwood
George Lohmann
Headley Verity
Sidney Barnes

Pre-war Australia

Victor Trumper
Bill Ponsford
Don Bradman
Stan McCabe
Charles Macartney
Warwick Armstrong
Jack Blackham
Charlie Turner
Fred Spofforth
Bill O'Reilly
Clarrie Grimmet

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Herbert Sutcliffe
Geoff Boycott
Len Hutton (c)
Stanley Jackson
Michael Vaughan
Wilfred Rhodes
Joe Hunter (wk)
Fred Trueman
Chris Old
Bobby Peel
Darren Gough

12th man Ray Illingworth
Yeah France have a good all-time eleven for sure.

smash84

The Tiger King
I would pick Moin over Latif any day.. in any format. Moin Khan was a fighter.. he saved pakistan so many times during crucial moments.. he was in the top of his game during 99 world cup and his hard hiting batting got pakistan to final.
But this is a test side that we are looking at and we are looking at a better keeper. Latif was definitely better as a keeper.

Prefer the below composition and lineup myself. :)

Saeed Anwar
Hanif Mohammad
Inzamam-ul Haq
Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Imran Khan*
Rashid Latif+
Wasim Akram
Abdul Qadir
Fazal Mahmood
Waqar Younis

Awesome bowling, good opening, but a little weak on the middle order for an AT side with Imran batting at 6.
This is a gun team. Few teams would have as strong a bowling attack. The batting though might not be as strong as one would like. But a bowling attack capable of ripping through almost any batting line-up.

fredfertang

And a Rest of the World XI - would have picked Steve Tikolo but I limited myself to no more than one man per nation and as Basher is the nearest thing to a keeper I could come up with he got the Kenyan slot - Headley, Brown, Carr and Lord Ted, test skippers all, can argue about the captaincy

George Headley (Panama)
Basherat Hassan (Kenya)
Ted Dexter (Italy)
Donald Carr (Germany)
Ian Billcliff (Canada)
Bart King (USA)
Moises Henriques (Portugal)
Freddie Brown (Peru)
John Solanky (Tanzania)
Phil Edmonds (Zambia)
Ole Mortensen (Denmark)

12th man Roland Lefebvre (Holland)

morgieb

And a Rest of the World XI - would have picked Steve Tikolo but I limited myself to no more than one man per nation and as Basher is the nearest thing to a keeper I could come up with he got the Kenyan slot - Headley, Brown, Carr and Lord Ted, test skippers all, can argue about the captaincy

George Headley (Panama)
Basherat Hassan (Kenya)
Ted Dexter (Italy)
Donald Carr (Germany)
Ian Billcliff (Canada)
Bart King (USA)
Moises Henriques (Portugal)
Freddie Brown (Peru)
John Solanky (Tanzania)
Phil Edmonds (Zambia)
Ole Mortensen (Denmark)

12th man Roland Lefebvre (Holland)
Headley, Dexter, Brown and Henriques hardly count imo - how long did they live in said country?

Davidson > Billcliff as well.

fredfertang

Headley, Dexter, Brown and Henriques hardly count imo - how long did they live in said country?

Davidson > Billcliff as well.
wasn't the point of the exercise tbh

as for Davison you're quite right - had wrongly assumed he was an Aussie