• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at the Adelaide Oval

Spark

Global Moderator
Fair point. Remember, though, that was was against a broken Harmison, Saj Mahmood, Ashley Giles and Bad Jimmy (TM)
True. But when those three are in form simultaneously, they are a ravenous bunch.

The times when they've all been in form at once the amount of runs they put on the board is really quite frightening. They work unbelievably well in partnerships.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
As I said he's a hundred away.

And to write off Hussey when he's scored such a positive, fluent hundred is ludicrous. Can't a guy be in form nowadays?
Like Deus wrote, Hussey has been in terminal decline for three years until 3 days ago. I'm not ready to accept he's back yet

Spark

Global Moderator
Like Deus wrote, Hussey has been in terminal decline for three years until 3 days ago. I'm not ready to accept he's back yet
TBH it's really the way he got it that has me hoping. His footwork was positive, his judgement of length was outstanding and the cover drive is coming back.

If it was a gritty, scratchy innings a la SCG/Oval then I wouldn't be so convinced - but it wasn't.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think Dohers Doherty and Hilf will miss.

Harris and Doug to make the final XI.
Reckon it's extremely unlikely they'll go in with four quicks in Adelaide, especially when Watson is there. It's a ground that teams contemplate playing two spinners on if they've got two decent ones - I don't see Australia playing one more spinner in Brisbane than they do in Adelaide.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
TBH it's really the way he got it that has me hoping. His footwork was positive, his judgement of length was outstanding and the cover drive is coming back.

If it was a gritty, scratchy innings a la SCG/Oval then I wouldn't be so convinced - but it wasn't.
Oh I agree. It was his best innings in 4 years. But I'll wait until the end of Adelaide before I make assumptions he is back for the summer

howardj

International Coach
Reckon it's extremely unlikely they'll go in with four quicks in Adelaide, especially when Watson is there. It's a ground that teams contemplate playing two spinners on if they've got two decent ones - I don't see Australia playing one more spinner in Brisbane than they do in Adelaide.
Spinners don't do as well as people think in Adelaide, in Tests anyway. It's usually the quicks that get the wickets. As for comparing Brisbane with Adelaide, I take your point, but the difference is that we're now desperate (1 for 500 will be ringing in Ponting's ears) and I think will go with the attack that's most likely to take 20 wickets rather than one that looks balanced on paper.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Since 2000, the average rpw in Australia is 36.83. This is broken up as 39.29 for spinners and 36.15 for the quicks.

Adelaide stats since 2000:

Spinners:

97 wickets, average 42.61, economy 3.04, 5 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Fast bowlers:

197 wickets, average 38.41, economy 3.19, 6 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Total

312 wickets, average 38.68, economy 3.11.

So it seems to be about the standard difference you would expect in Australia, though with a higher runs per wicket than most. No real need to play a spinner more than any other ground, and a more pressing need to take your best wicket-takers.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Since 2000, the average rpw in Australia is 36.83. This is broken up as 39.29 for spinners and 36.15 for the quicks.

Adelaide stats since 2000:

Spinners:

97 wickets, average 42.61, economy 3.04, 5 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Fast bowlers:

197 wickets, average 38.41, economy 3.19, 6 5w hauls, 0 10w hauls.

Total

312 wickets, average 38.68, economy 3.11.

So it seems to be about the standard difference you would expect in Australia, though with a higher runs per wicket than most. No real need to play a spinner more than any other ground, and a more pressing need to take your best wicket-takers.
Yeah I definitely agree, but I don't think the selectors will see it that way. The myth is more important.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
On a scale of 1-Clapo I probably rate about an 8.5 when it comes to Johnson fanboyism, so you can take this with a grain if you wish.

I don't think the guy should be dropped for Adelaide. Put simply, I think he's one of our 4 best bowlers, and has proven so consistently over a large enough sample size. Dropping him because he's been in average (but hardly terrible) form for the last 6 months and just had about the worst game of his career isn't really looking at the bigger picture for mine. Fact is the guy is one of the few players we have that can even semi consistently tear through international standard teams when in form.

He was rubbish in Brisbane, but he was hardly alone. Siddle, Hilf and Doherty didn't take a single wicket in the second dig either, with two of those only getting gifts or a slogging tail in the first innings. The catch and his duck made his game look worse that it was, but lets face it, the guy is hardly there for his batting, and dropped catches happen to the best of them. Ask Clarkey.

If he is to be dropped I hope it's done with a view to getting his head in the right frame of mind for a return in Perth or possibly Melbourne. If his head is the problem then we should be doing what we can to get him right so he can bowl at his best. We shouldn't forget that he's too good to be junked on the scrapheap with the Cullens, Krejzas or McGains of this world.

pasag

RTDAS
Johnson took no wickets for the match, he really can't keep his place. I'm happy to have him around the squad and to play a role later in the series, but the fact is the poms play him well at the best of times.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
On a scale of 1-Clapo
:laugh:

I rate extremely low on the Clapo scale of Johnson Worship - I was one of his biggest detractors early in his Test career and maintained for quite a while that he had just been outrageously lucky. He never, to me, appears to be bowling particularly well. Even given all that though I still agree - he's proven, particularly in Australian conditions, that he can consistently take pretty cheap wickets and break key partnerships. At this stage I'd probably pick him for Adelaide (no Hilfenhaus), although if it came down to a straight choice between him and Dougey (I rate an 8.5 on a scale of 1 to Julian87) I'd take Dougey.

My main concern is that England have really done their homework on him. It's always appeared extremely obvious to me that if you look to leave the majority of Johnson's bowling as a right hander you can just wait for the leg stump trash, but after watching quality batsmen fish outside off against him for years, I just came to the conclusion that it wasn't that simple against express left arm over bowling. If Flower and Strauss have worked this out and developed a method to leave him successfully, it's possible he's been Iversoned. I think he's worth at least one more Test to bounce back though, given his track record.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Johnson never even looked like threatening to consider trying to make an effort at attempting to get a wicket. And he wasn't even bowling as badly as we all know he's capable of.