• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Spot on. We don't lack for openers, we lack for finishers...

What about....

How, Ryder, Guptill, Taylor, Williamson, Styris, McCullum, Mills, Tuffey, Vettori, Southee?

Hard on Elliott though.
Yeah, I don't really think you can have both Elliott and Williamson in the same ODI team. They both bat five or six and just rotate the strike - it's good to have a player like this but when you have two it can get a bit stagnant at times. I've never really been a huge fan or Ryder opening either.

Really.. I think Styris, Ryder, Williamson, Elliott and even Taylor are more suited to batting 5 or 6 than anywhere else in ODIs. You need a top order and a seven though.

1 How
2 Guptill
3 Ryder
4 Taylor
5 Williamson
6 Styris
7 B McCullum
8 Vettori
9 Mills
10 Other seamer/N McCullum
11 Other seamer

I'd probably send that out. Ryder will open though, McCullum will probably open too and Vettori will probably bat in the top seven again.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But Ryder and McCullum opening can put you in a 100/1 position after 15 overs, making it a lot easier for everyone coming in afterwards. I'd rather take that than save them for down the order where they have to slog at the death and face fewer overs. Why wouldn't you want your best strokeplayers to bat against the new ball with fielding restrictions?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But Ryder and McCullum opening can put you in a 100/1 position after 15 overs, making it a lot easier for everyone coming in afterwards. I'd rather take that than save them for down the order where they have to slog at the death and face fewer overs. Why wouldn't you want your best strokeplayers to bat against the new ball with fielding restrictions?
Ryder's massively over-rated in one day cricket IMO, and I tend to think a lot of the problem is the fact that he bats out of position.

I've never really been huge on the "go early and then consolidate" theory, even allowing for the early fielding restrictions, and the batting PowerPlay has made it even more important to have good accelerators down the innings. You really don't want to be taking the batting PowerPlay with Elliott and Vettori at the crease.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Only just realised Oram is not in the ODI team. Surprised - he's still a pretty good ODI bowler in most conditions (notable exception being flat bouncy tracks against someone who plays the pull shot). He does represent a puzzle as to where to bat him in the batting order though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Only just realised Oram is not in the ODI team. Surprised - he's still a pretty good ODI bowler in most conditions (notable exception being flat bouncy tracks against someone who plays the pull shot). He does represent a puzzle as to where to bat him in the batting order though.
He'd be perfect at seven playing the exact role I spoke of and bowling first change. I'm guessing he's probably injured or the selectors aren't backing his fitness at the moment though. He did have knee surgery fairly recently I think.

vcs

Ryder's massively over-rated in one day cricket IMO, and I tend to think a lot of the problem is the fact that he bats out of position.

I've never really been huge on the "go early and then consolidate" theory, even allowing for the early fielding restrictions, and the batting PowerPlay has made it even more important to have good accelerators down the innings. You really don't want to be taking the batting PowerPlay with Elliott and Vettori at the crease.
Agree to disagree I guess. Haven't seen enough of Ryder in ODI cricket but I do remember him and McCullum having a great opening stand in NZ in 2009 when India put up a huge score batting first with Tendulkar getting 160 odd.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Dead set, how ordinary is Sreesanth's front arm at the moment? Barely gets his hand above his nose, let alone where his elbow (the important part of the lever) gets to.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
Oram's injured at the moment which is why he's doing things like Cricket Company/The Cricketer's show

Halfpast_Yellow

U19 Vice-Captain
Agree to disagree I guess. Haven't seen enough of Ryder in ODI cricket but I do remember him and McCullum having a great opening stand in NZ in 2009 when India put up a huge score batting first with Tendulkar getting 160 odd.
Jesse does have a pretty poor List A average. 33@ strike rate of 92 in ODIs...

BeeGee

International Captain
I can't believe a couple of you are seriously considering a NZ ODI 11 without Elliot in it? He's one of NZs best ODI players.

To have McCullum come in late in the innings as a "finisher" would be a waste of a class batsman. He's one of the few batsmen in the NZ squad capable of batting through an innings and facilitating a huge score.

The problem with the NZ batting isn't "finishing", it's ****ing "starting"! Stop losing 4+ wickets in the first 10 overs and the "finishing" will take care of itself.

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

Howsie

International Captain
To have McCullum come in late in the innings as a "finisher" would be a waste of a class batsman. He's one of the few batsmen in the NZ squad capable of batting through an innings and facilitating a huge score.
What? When was the last time Brendon McCullum did that?

Zinzan

I believe india only prepares dust-bowls when they're 1-0 down in a series so I'd be surprised if it was a dust-bowl.
Disagree, reckon they'd consider 0-0 after 2 tests against NZ (at home) about the same as 0-1 against a SA or Aust & they'll be as desperate as ever to ensure a result in Nagpur. Expect a dustbowl.

biased indian

International Coach
I believe india only prepares dust-bowls when they're 1-0 down in a series so I'd be surprised if it was a dust-bowl.
whats wrong with that :)..if you are not good enough to win its not our fault..

any way to be serious i would take a dust bowl over the last 2 wickets any day