• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb's most overhyped players.

DingDong

State Captain
RICKY PONTING - cant make a run to save his life against spin but still considered a god by many aussies in here. give me ross taylor any day.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Bradman is a bit overrated considering no one here ever actually saw him bat...I agree with most of the named players.

tooextracool

International Coach
He's deffo good, but it's like he's the best all-rounder ever by some people.

But yeah, they're only really over-rated by English fans, like I said in my past post.
Personally, I think Flintoff is more overhyped by the players who batted and bowled against him than the people on this forum.

Especially you aussies.

Andre

International Regular
Personally, I think Flintoff is more overhyped by the players who batted and bowled against him than the people on this forum.

Especially you aussies.
Reckon those who have faced him/bowled to him would be a better judge of how good he is rather than us armchair critics, tbh. Would have to take their word for it.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
Flintoff was only ever a poor man's Cairns to be honest. Cairns was a lot more consistent through his career too.

smash84

The Tiger King
Any reason why? I don't think Swann gets enough credit from neutral fans. His performances are extraordinary considering he bowls a pure orthodox off-spin style.
Swann isn't over-rated IMO. He is a very good bowler and deserves the praise that he gets. Andrew Flintoff is another story though. He was a very good player for 3-4 years. That's it. And was quite pathetic at other times. I don't know why some people bring up his name so much.

Sachin Tendulkar:ph34r:
His fans raise him to the status of a god and this probably irks off some people so they go to the opposite extreme. The reality is somewhere in the middle I guess. Although his die-hard fans easily outnumber his detractors so it seems that he is being over-rated.

irottev

U19 Cricketer
He was a very good player for 3-4 years. That's it. And was quite pathetic at other times. I don't know why some people bring up his name so much.
That's generous. I reckon it was only for 1-2 in test cricket. He was always a good ODI bowler but aside from the Ashes and a bit around that he was just a good all-rounder in tests. Some people call him one of the best ever which is absurd.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
It's hard to know whether he's comparable with the batsman of this generation. Batsmen back then seemed to have better records.
Nice of you to change your post8-)

Umm no they didn't. if anything, far more batsmen average 50+ today.

Spark

Global Moderator
Swann isn't over-rated IMO. He is a very good bowler and deserves the praise that he gets. Andrew Flintoff is another story though. He was a very good player for 3-4 years. That's it. And was quite pathetic at other times. I don't know why some people bring up his name so much.

His fans raise him to the status of a god and this probably irks off some people so they go to the opposite extreme. The reality is somewhere in the middle I guess. Although his die-hard fans easily outnumber his detractors so it seems that he is being over-rated.
There is also the fact that according to some, if a bad decision happens to a normal player, that's cricket. If it happens to Tendulkar it's a travesty of the highest order.