• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Sri Lanka in Australia 2010

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree that Australia aren't playing their best team right now. Still not taking it seriously and were made to pay against a top T20 side, the winning margin probably not reflective of the gulf between the sides even.

Cam White for skipper, Clarke out, Hodge in. FFS.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Indeed. Channel nine to introduce their latest innovation this summer where they measure ballsweat levels.

"Michael Clarke in at 2/12, facing Swan and he's almost literally pissing himself. Just look at the humidity reading!"
Inspired by The 12th Man ;)

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Indeed. Channel nine to introduce their latest innovation this summer where they measure ballsweat levels.

"Michael Clarke in at 2/12, facing Swan and he's almost literally pissing himself. Just look at the humidity reading!"
Just like on the 12th man! "David Boon was kind enough to lend us his jockstrap....and its very moist and sticky down there". 12th man gold! :laugh:

sifter132

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Soooo where are the optimists to dig a positive or two out of this?
I thought Brad Haddin looked the goods....

<not much else>

And I'll get bagged, but if Clarke had only found the fence those 2-3 times when he hit it well but found the fielder, then I'd say the move to opener was a good one. He only got out because Watson and Warner were failing spectacularly and he was feeling the need to slog to relieve pressure. It may be the best spot for him, following the lead of Kallis and Mahela who have similar games.

Don't mind Tom Moody's commentary at all.
Yep great to listen to guy who actually knew who the opposition players were and occasionally mentioned stategy eg. Fernando not following the batsmen to leg when he had fine leg up in the circle. Much better than the usual Healy rubbish.

Oh, but the highlight of the night had to be Tony Greig telling Heals and Slats they'd have to 'keep their peckers up' this summer with a confident England coming over.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I thought Brad Haddin looked the goods....

<not much else>

And I'll get bagged, but if Clarke had only found the fence those 2-3 times when he hit it well but found the fielder, then I'd say the move to opener was a good one. He only got out because Watson and Warner were failing spectacularly and he was feeling the need to slog to relieve pressure. It may be the best spot for him, following the lead of Kallis and Mahela who have similar games.
It's a good point, he was striking the ball well. But his failure to find the gaps is not a rare problem, it's a problem that infests every single out of his LO games I've seen in the past year. It's not that he doesn't hit the ball hard enough, it's that he doesn't find gaps.

Though Siddle's first over was excellent.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'm surprised McKay's domestic batting record is as poor as it is in all formats tbh; he can bat. Bats five or six in club cricket IIRC, or at least used to.

Slater's the first TV commentator to ever call JWH by his full name. :cool:
Love ya work Slats.
Yeah, McKay has made some good runs, few 50s in 2nd XI stuff and has a few district tons to his name. Bit of a poor starter though.

howardj

International Coach
No doubt this has already been widely canvassed, but unfortunately MJClarke must step aside from the T20 team. It doesn't mean that he's not a bluechip bastman. Rather, he's just illsuited to this sawn-off form of the game.

But typically Timmy Nielsen out there this morning calling black as white and vice versa by insisting that Clarke is not under threat.

Obviously, he's not going to call for the skipper's head in public, but geez I hope that's all it is and that he doesn't actually believe he should be retained.

Last edited:

outbreak

First Class Debutant
not bagging buyt from the other perspective, warner, watson, hussey had to start swinging to make up for the balls clarke chewed up by not finding the gaps?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
not bagging buyt from the other perspective, warner, watson, hussey had to start swinging to make up for the balls clarke chewed up by not finding the gaps?
:laugh:

Warner had to start swinging because Clarke couldn't find the gaps?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
:laugh:

Warner had to start swinging because Clarke couldn't find the gaps?
??

Pressure builds on both batsmen when one guy can't score. Feels like he has to take the impetus.

The worrying thing for me was how it looked like we were playing our first T20 the way we got out, so many dirty slogs, not many good strong cricket shots.

Burgey

Nah, especially not in Warner's case. He was first out and I think he was scoring every bit as slowly as Clarke was.

Top_Cat

Yeah exactly, Aus still playing T20 like it's an exhibition game. Whole team looked panicky, dirty slogs aside there were a few short-single run-out chances where blokes were sent back, gone and forgotten.

Looked pretty amateurish. I know Warner's looked at as a slogger but his best knocks are the ones where he hits the gaps too. That he was trying to spank everything, put that down to Clarke; first shot was a really ugly swipe, set the tone.

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Nah, especially not in Warner's case. He was first out and I think he was scoring every bit as slowly as Clarke was.
Difference was Warner was going for every ball, whereas Clarke was doing his level best to get singles and still failing.

Athlai

Not Terrible
??

Pressure builds on both batsmen when one guy can't score. Feels like he has to take the impetus.

The worrying thing for me was how it looked like we were playing our first T20 the way we got out, so many dirty slogs, not many good strong cricket shots.
Yeah but to put it all on Clarkie when Warner was in a position to play his natural game anyway is a bit silly IMO. Warner is there to play dirty slogs and he wasn't hitting them and you could argue Warner was putting pressure on Clarke by not scoring runs either.

Bit harsh to chuck it ALL on Clarke.

Top_Cat

Both ordinary, I thought. Warner/Clarke = worst combination. Both have to be playing brilliantly to get the team off to a par start so if they're both off their games....

Athlai

Not Terrible
Both ordinary, I thought. Warner/Clarke = worst combination. Both have to be playing brilliantly to get the team off to a par start.
Haha yeah not opening with Watto is interesting but a few fans seem to ignore poor performances by other players and just go after Clarke.