• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Migara

International Coach
Hang on, i was just skimming throuhg posts, just woken up, did I read somewhere that Gurusinha 'smoked' Warned??? I take whoever said that didnt actually see many of those matches where he averaged 50 vs Australia. That MCG ton was full of plays and misses. What i HATE about stats and comments like that is just because I guy averaged 50 against an opponent or got a ton doesnt mean he 'smoked' every bowler in the attack, that is an absurd line of thinking. Irritates the hell out of me. No doubt Gurusinha played well but in that MCG inings but he basically had no idea apart from the "attempt to save the match ton", which was quality but he dominated the pace bowlers, If I recall in Perth Warne had him in all sorts of trouble, Ranantunga too.
Played and missed fast bowlers. Warne, imperiously dispatched. Most of the runs in that century came off Warne. Gurusinha was not known for flashy play of fast men. He was a solid defensive batsman against pace. But when he saw spinners, yeah, he went beserk. Ranatunga's first scoring shot off Warne was a swept six. That would have been showing how "troubled" he was!

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Loved the Guru. Had a stint in club cricket in Melbourne at or near the end of his international career iirc.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
PEWS is known to be very liberal when it comes to explaining away massive age gaps between two people :ph34r:
Six years isn't really that much if you don't actually consider what the two numbers are. Give it ten years and everyone will think it's perfectly normal. :p

Burgey

lol Burgey, so you agree the WC finals are the only ODIs that matter and that is what people should be judged on? :laugh:

As far as I could see, Ankit was countering only that with his posts..
Nah, but I reckon WCs are about the only ones that matter.

OT, but I thought that young SL offie who bowled last night was very good (saw the highlights, not the actual game, which I forgot was on tbh).

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Randiv looked very good indeed. In fact, the whole SL side looked bloody good it has to be said. Seems like they have really come prepared and are here to not only win but to dominate. Teams surely cannot be afraid of playing us here anymore, its open season now to beat us however you like.

Teja.

Global Moderator

Burgey

Got a lovely action. Was the first I've seen of him, I mean it's hard to take much out of watching one T20, but I look forward to seeing more of him inthe ODIs.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Nah, but I reckon WCs are about the only ones that matter.

OT, but I thought that young SL offie who bowled last night was very good (saw the highlights, not the actual game, which I forgot was on tbh).
yeah, but in WCs overall, Murali has a pretty comparable record to Warne and in a LOT more matches... Esp. given that he has played in 2 WCs in the noughties through which the average score in ODIs has gone up (hence ERs etc will be affected)... I mean, there are a number of reasons you can rate Warney over Murali but some of the reasons mentioned here are laughable. This coming from one of the biggest fans of Warney here.

Burgey

yeah, but in WCs overall, Murali has a pretty comparable record to Warne and in a LOT more matches... Esp. given that he has played in 2 WCs in the noughties through which the average score in ODIs has gone up (hence ERs etc will be affected)... I mean, there are a number of reasons you can rate Warney over Murali but some of the reasons mentioned here are laughable. This coming from one of the biggest fans of Warney here.
Yeah for sure. I think Murali is a better ODI bowler personally, but not by much. Had a much longer career, and certainly deserves massive kudos for that.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah for sure. I think Murali is a better ODI bowler personally, but not by much. Had a much longer career, and certainly deserves massive kudos for that.
Just hate it when people start using WC finals as the goalpost... I mean, it is pretty obvious the Aussies are gonna be better there.. They won so much and they made the KO stages so many times. People got so many shots. I wonder if the WC finals record will be so important if Australia never made it to the WC finals again after 96.. Wonder how Ponting would have compared to De Silva then? :p

Overall, I actually think Warne was a very good and underrated ODI bowler. Yes, underrated. He managed to tie down Sachin at his attacking best in 96 in Mumbai and I consider that one of the best spells of spin bowling I have ever seen. Still think Murali at his best was slightly better but felt Warne was the more attacking option. May well be something to do with the respective captains they had, for I felt both Waugh and Taylor used to attack a lot more than Ranatunga or Jayasuriya (esp.)...

Migara

International Coach
Randiv > Mendis
You wait for the next one in the production line. He'll come for the WI tests IMO. He's the guy in my avatar (Senanayake). Taller than Randiv and spins it a long way. Randiv's success mainly was due to bounce. This fellow gets still more bounce. This Mendis fellow took everybody by surprise and that effectively made these two to wait for their chances.

Burgey

Well at least no one's yet brought up batting and fielding when we are comparing them as bowlers...

I think you can use big matches such as WC finals as an example of how a player performs under pressure, but it's unfair if you're comparing two blokes where one hasn't played in many/ any.

Having said that, I have raised the WC finals theory to debunk the utter dross of Nick Knight > Gilchrist in ODIs, so I'm guilty in that regard ;)

Edit: this post is directed at HB's btw :)

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
Murali at his best was running through the sides for fun in ODIs. Only Saqlain had been more prolific than Murali in that regard.