• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
His SR is two wickets per ball faster. With respect to the wickets per match, that is a difference of ~3.3 balls. So you have 3.3 balls more or 4 runs less conceded. It's really not a world apart; although I'd agree that it does not make up the difference but it certainly does not make them incomparable.

Furthermore, I don't think of Warne as a wicket-taking machine a la Brett Lee. My point was 4 runs less conceded will never replace an important wicket taken. Warne certainly had a knack of taking important wickets - more so than Murali IMO - and that's why it really doesn't matter to me that Warne is a bit more expensive ER wise. The trade off is he makes things happen.

Or if you think that SR and economy are of similar importance.... just use averages :p
I kind of am. And a difference of 1.22 runs on average isn't enough to make them incomparable.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Although I disagree, that wasn't necessarily my question. I am asking would you find it incomparable for someone to rate Wasim against McGrath?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
His ER is 0.28 runs better. Which means 2.8 runs cheaper per match.
What that translates into is 500 runs over the entire career of Warne. And of course, Murali played right through the last decade. The difference between their ERs was bigger in 2003 when Warne played his last match.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
In ODIs, economy is much more important than SR IMO. Seeing as you can effectively take 0 wickets in an ODI and win.
Exactly my opinion too. While in tests I tend to remember averages and SRs of bowlers, only ER sticks in my mind about bowlers.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Longevity...I guess. But that was never brought up and in your picking and prodding of the stats which you were using to say they were incomparable.

Warne played almost 200 ODIs which is long enough for me to gauge how good he was. Although, if you look at it in terms of a fulfilled career, what have you, I can see people picking Murali (and I do and I have no problem with it).

Migara

International Coach
Adjusted values for Wasim: Avg: 24.42, ER: 4.02, SR: 36.22
Adjusted values for McGrath: Avg: 22.27, ER: 3.83, SR: 34.70

It is evident that McGrath stands quite a way ahead of Wasim with those stats. Only difference is Wasim has taken 40% more wickets than McGrath, and that is a huge achievement. So they become comparable.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
I am now actually tempted to do a t-test assuming Normal distribution to show that a difference of 4 runs per match is statistically significant. That will be too much of math, but knowing myself, I might actually end up doing that :laugh:

Migara

International Coach
I am now actually tempted to do a t-test assuming Normal distribution to show that a difference of 4 runs per match is statistically significant. That will be too much of math, but knowing myself, I might actually end up doing that :laugh:
Well first you have to find out whether it fits in a t distribution. IMO, n > 30, you don't use t test and Z test becomes the default. For z test it should be a standard normal deviation or something close to it. Otherwise you have to go in to cumbersome stats like skewness and kurtosis. I actually feel bit sick when I see those words even.:laugh:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
They're not incomparable, even if Wasim played the same amount as McGrath. With stats as close as that I'd be more interested in match-winning performances, performances against the best, etc.

The above is akin to saying Sobers can't compare with Tendulkar.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
They're not incomparable, even if Wasim played the same amount as McGrath. With stats as close as that I'd be more interested in match-winning performances, performances against the best, etc.

The above is akin to saying Sobers can't compare with Tendulkar.
If you call them "close", Ok it's your opinion, but use them similarly for each and every one. For me, half a run difference in adjusted averages with X 1.6 times more matches is good enough for incomparability.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
We'll agree to disagree on that I guess. At least you've explained your view so I appreciate that.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Well first you have to find out whether it fits in a t distribution. IMO, n > 30, you don't use t test and Z test becomes the default. For z test it should be a standard normal deviation or something close to it. Otherwise you have to go in to cumbersome stats like skewness and kurtosis. I actually feel bit sick when I see those words even.:laugh:
I do this routinely as part of my job 8-)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, in case of McGrath and Akram they are very much comparable because while Akram has the longevity factor in his favour, McGrath's average and SR are slightly better. Both have the big match performances to their name (though Akram's '92 efforts were probably more eye-catching). In case of Warne and Murali, Murali has the stats and the longevity in his favour. Difficult to make a case for Warne.

All IMO, of course.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If you're talking about the stats Migara and I boiled it down to; not at all. Stats-wise they're close. But having those stats for a much longer amount of time makes Murali's stats more impressive.

In terms of big match performances...ehem. :D

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Hang on, i was just skimming throuhg posts, just woken up, did I read somewhere that Gurusinha 'smoked' Warned??? I take whoever said that didnt actually see many of those matches where he averaged 50 vs Australia. That MCG ton was full of plays and misses. What i HATE about stats and comments like that is just because I guy averaged 50 against an opponent or got a ton doesnt mean he 'smoked' every bowler in the attack, that is an absurd line of thinking. Irritates the hell out of me. No doubt Gurusinha played well but in that MCG inings but he basically had no idea apart from the "attempt to save the match ton", which was quality but he dominated the pace bowlers, If I recall in Perth Warne had him in all sorts of trouble, Ranantunga too.

Last edited: