• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

tooextracool

International Coach
Look, I totally get why most people rate Murali ahead of Warne in ODIs. But for me; ODIs mean jack unless it's the WC. And I know who I'd take to the WC. What more as ODI players I'd much rather Warne as he is also likely to chip in twice as much with the bat negating the difference in their ER.
I thought we were debating these 2 purely as bowlers. Anyhow I understand your point and I see some merit to it. Though you might as well say that Australia> Sri Lanka because as far as I'm concerned, this trait of performing in the big games is almost certainly more of an Australian phenomenon rather than anything else. Its why they've been in every world cup final since 1996 and won the last 3.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Possibly. I think there is a difference though. During Warne's ODI career Australia weren't really that far ahead, if at all, and probably weren't the best ODI for periods during his career. Pakistan were a great ODI side and so were S.Africa. Sri Lanka of course won a WC. It really took special performances from guys like Warne and Bevan to get us across the line. Whereas I think from about the early 00s till the last WC we really had an amazing side and breezed through to our wins. That might not do justice to the likes of Ponting, Hayden, Gilchrist and McGrath but we really were without peers in those periods.

Imo,Murali is the best Odi spinner,followed by Saqlain and then Warne.

I read through the last couple of pages and have 2 points to make.

1.Minnow matches in WC matches shouldn't be discounted for obvious reasons.
2.If the WC final is the be all and end all then no mortal comes close to Aravinda De Silva.

Interestingly,the one time both Warne and Murali faced off in a WC final,Murali's side emerged victorious(what were their individual figures?Can't remember)

Anyway,imo,Murali's only real competitors in ODI for the greatest ever title,are the 2 Ws.No doubt in my mind that he is the best ODI spinner-arguably played in a tougher era,sheer longevity etc.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I thought we were debating these 2 purely as bowlers. Anyhow I understand your point and I see some merit to it. Though you might as well say that Australia> Sri Lanka because as far as I'm concerned, this trait of performing in the big games is almost certainly more of an Australian phenomenon rather than anything else. Its why they've been in every world cup final since 1996 and won the last 3.
Been in every WC final bar three tbh.

akilana

International 12th Man
Against the top 8 teams; in WCs:

Warne: avg. 19.68; er. 3.95; sr. 29.8.

Murali: avg. 24.59; er. 4.16; sr. 35.4.
why do you remove the stats against teams like Bangaladesh, Zimbabwe etc? is it because without it, Warne's record looks much better than Murali's? FYI, Bangaladesh was in the final 8 last year after defeating both SA and India.

akilana

International 12th Man
If we were talking about another ODI bowler apart from Warne I might agree. But in ODIs Warne had an exceptional knack of taking wickets when it was needed. Whilst conceding runs in the pursuit of taking wickets go hand in hand; I prefer a bowler who is more likely to take an important wicket than one who is going to consistently save 2-3 runs a match. And that's not to say Murali didn't take important wickets or didn't have that ability; but I rate Warne's ability to do that much higher and he certainly demonstrated that throughout his OD career - especially in WCs.
what do you mean by important wicket here? all wickets taken by warne?

Last edited:

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
what do you mean by important wicket here?
Most likely had 99 WC in mind, the ultimate for Warne, though the 96 WC match v WI at Mohali was AMAZING Warne bowling, we were gone in that match- WI were 2 down chasing a further 30 odd runs, and Warne inspired an 8 wicket collapse in no time and we won, an incredible finish. And so the ODI legend was born for Warne.

Last edited:

JBH001

International Regular
Imo,Murali is the best Odi spinner,followed by Saqlain and then Warne.
Yeah, I'd agree with that. Saqlain and Warne are also quite comparable, iirc, in terms of similar number of matches.

Interestingly,the one time both Warne and Murali faced off in a WC final,Murali's side emerged victorious(what were their individual figures?Can't remember)
Murali took 1 - 31 from 10 and Warne went for 58 for none off his ten (Arjuna, in particular, took to him).

No doubt in my mind that he is the best ODI spinner-arguably played in a tougher era,sheer longevity etc.
I concur. I really don't see much room for debate on this one.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
I really wonder at certain guys here who say WC finals and knock out games are everything... Will they really say the same thing if Australia didn't have an awesome record in those games? :)

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Warne was obviously great but I really feared Damien Fleming out of the Aussie ODI bowlers in the '90s. Always seemed to be in the thick of things in a tight match, bowling important spells for them.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Warne was obviously great but I really feared Damien Fleming out of the Aussie ODI bowlers in the '90s. Always seemed to be in the thick of things in a tight match, bowling important spells for them.
Yeah, remember Fleming's dramatic last overs in semi finals of both 96 and 99 world cups. :)

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Yeah, remember Fleming's dramatic last overs in semi finals of both 96 and 99 world cups. :)
Not to forget his very first last over triumph- 8th odi in SA on the 94 tour, no way we shouldve won that one. Border gave the ball to the youngster and it paid off. Taylor did the same 2 years later in th e96 WC, then SRW in 99. Loved Flemings bowling.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Not to forget his very first last over triumph- 8th odi in SA on the 94 tour, no way we shouldve won that one. Border gave the ball to the youngster and it paid off. Taylor did the same 2 years later in th e96 WC, then SRW in 99. Loved Flemings bowling.
Why did he play only 20 tests btw? Good average for those 20 games!