• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic season 2010-11

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
100% right with that summary based on my knowledge of SA cricket in the last 10 years, mr.popepouri.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Makhaya Ntini - 88 overs, 3 wickets @ 87.66. Sad to see Makhaya going out like this. Someone should have a word.

Elsewhere, de Wet is back playing first class cricket. Currently playing provincial but should be back in the fold for the Lions MTN campaign which kicks off next week. Lions should be a decent shout to take the title, got the batsman in Virus, Vandiar, VB and Neil Mac just a case if they can get de Wet, Alexander and Deacon on the park together.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Makhaya Ntini - 88 overs, 3 wickets @ 87.66. Sad to see Makhaya going out like this. Someone should have a word.

Elsewhere, de Wet is back playing first class cricket. Currently playing provincial but should be back in the fold for the Lions MTN campaign which kicks off next week. Lions should be a decent shout to take the title, got the batsman in Virus, Vandiar, VB and Neil Mac just a case if they can get de Wet, Alexander and Deacon on the park together.
Great to hear De Wet is back.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Rough day for the bowlers today. On the positive, Obus Pienaar picked up 3.

How good is this guy?
Good player and should do well for the Cobras. I think there's a lot more talented batsmen out there though like Elgar and Rossouw.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
van Zyl came into the Cobras side simply as he was one of the few batsmen in the Cape who didn’t like a dash and was content to bat time but he seems to have also developed into a good limited overs batsman as well. Never scored any runs when I’ve seen him bat mind. So many young left handers knocking about (Elgar, Rossouw, Vandiar, Ingram, Miller, van Zyl, Dominic Hendricks…) and the batsman dominating SuperSport so far are lefties (Prince, Puttick, VB...).

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not sure how long the Titans can keep Faf du Plessis in their 4 day team. Been over 2 years now since he last scored a FC 100 and in two season with Lancashire, Faf never scored a 100 in 25 FC games. Batting as low as 7 for the Titans nowadays, so maybe he will turn himself into a fully fledged all-rounder. Handy leggie.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
TTBoy or Popepouri. How big is the gap in quality of FC cricket between the super sport series & CSA Provincal 3-day challenge?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Huge. Wickets are unsurprisingly poor and the standard is extremely weak as the players are predominately students, young rookies or “neverbeen” amateurs. A stat I usually wheel out is Richard Levi of the Cobras; a talented batsman once had an average of 100 for Western Province in FC cricket. Levi is good but not that good. Wouldn’t be surprised if Dominic Hendricks, the leading run scorer in the last U19 WC, averages something similar after a season with Gauteng.

Keep an eye on what your mate O'Reilly averages for Gauteng with the ball...

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
So many young left handers knocking about (Elgar, Rossouw, Vandiar, Ingram, Miller, van Zyl, Dominic Hendricks…) and the batsman dominating SuperSport so far are lefties (Prince, Puttick, VB...).
Funny how that is. 15 years go, the only lefty of note in SA was Gary Kirsten and then later on Klusener.

taipan1

U19 12th Man
Funny how that is. 15 years go, the only lefty of note in SA was Gary Kirsten and then later on Klusener.

Interestingly enough most of these left handhanders are actually righthanded. Both Kirsten and Klusener bowled righthanded. So did GP.

Of the present crop Smith, Duminy and Morkel also bowl righthanded.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Interestingly enough most of these left handhanders are actually righthanded. Both Kirsten and Klusener bowled righthanded. So did GP.

Of the present crop Smith, Duminy and Morkel also bowl righthanded.
I read an article somewhere that Smith is actually left-handed. It had to do with his school days. But yes, I guess it's where you feel comfortable.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
That's interesting, according to Majola, SA will never tour Aus again during their lucrative Christmas/New Year periods, so maybe they will get Aus early and then go to Aus in Feb or something.

I like how it works at the moment, playing a six match test series, 3 home, and 3 away. Hope it continues.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
That's interesting, according to Majola, SA will never tour Aus again during their lucrative Christmas/New Year periods, so maybe they will get Aus early and then go to Aus in Feb or something.
Did Majola really say that?. If so thats a bit harsh since christmas new year is the only period AUS play tests. While SA can host home series twice a year.

Although it used to happen alot before the war. I dont think AUS have played a test in february much in the last 50 years also. Late January/early feb the latest IIRC.

I like how it works at the moment, playing a six match test series, 3 home, and 3 away. Hope it continues.
Yep that arrangement has been going fine since 2001/02.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Not a fan of the MTN format. Not as dumb as the split innings crap trailed in Aus but 13 man a stuff is just bull**** and seems a convenient way to get everyone in the side.

Anyhow, VB van Jaarsveld has for the second time ditched the Lions. Guy is all class. VB is available for the Dolphins for tonight’s game against the Titans at Centurion. Apparently Andre Nel is in the Titans squad for the game that despite not being contracted and only last month he tried to kill himself.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
What's the story with Andrew Puttick? I know there's not exactly been many South African games where Boucher hasn't kept so he's not had much chance, just I've not really heard him mentioned before.
Has a fantastic South Africa A record, what's his glovework like andwhere abouts is he in the pecking order after Boucher? Obviously there's been a lot of talk about Kuhn in the last few months, how do they compare?