• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Howsie

International Captain
The test team vs IND should be:

1. Tim McIntosh
2. Brendon McCullum
3. Jamie How
4.Ross Taylor
5. Jesse Ryder
6. Kane Williamson
7. BJ Watling (wk)
8. Daniel Vettori (c)
9. Kyle Mills
10. Andy McKay
11. Hamish Bennett
I'd say that's what the top six will look like come the first test. Daniel Vettori will bat at seven though and Gareth Hopkins will have the gloves - Watling isn't going to keep wicket at the test level, he's no way near good enough.

The bowlers I'm not to sure about, Chris Martin will be there for sure. Hoping Arnel and Southee get the other two spots.

Flem274*

123/5
One of Tuffey and Martin should really play imo, otherwise we're going in with a few of Southee, Arnel, McKay and Bennett. If you discount Southee's ten or so tests that's one test match between three players.

If any domestic bowler wants a call up, this is a good season to take 40 wickets.

Howsie

International Captain
DWTA. Was perfectly fine against Pakistan.
He bowled well during the first innings in the Wellington test, apart from that though he was poor. Well not poor as he wasn't expensive but he was hardly threatening at all after that innings.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
I'd say that's what the top six will look like come the first test.
Dunno tbh. Franklin will be on their minds and he might slot in at seven with Vettori at six. Greatbatch seems keen on Sinclair as well, and tbh I'd much prefer him than anyone else at three simply because of his experience and he's the best domestic number three around.

Plus, I did some stats rigging this morning and discounting Australia and the minnows from his record he averages 40 in test cricket:ph34r:.

Flem274*

123/5
He bowled well during the first innings in the Wellington test, apart from that though he was poor. Well not poor as he wasn't expensive but he was hardly threatening at all after that innings.
8 wickets in the two test series at 27. Nothing wrong with that. Not spectacular but not poor either.

EDIT: Stop editing ****!:p

Howsie

International Captain
Dunno tbh. Franklin will be on their minds and he might slot in at seven with Vettori at six. Greatbatch seems keen on Sinclair as well, and tbh I'd much prefer him than anyone else at three simply because of his experience and he's the best domestic number three around.

Plus, I did some stats rigging this morning and discounting Australia and the minnows from his record he averages 40 in test cricket:ph34r:.
I doubt Franklin even makes the squad. This is the first test series since the national contracts were handed out, you would think that if Franklin was any chance of playing in the next test series he would of been given one. He's not a very good player of spin and his bowling would be next to useless in India, I don't see how he brings any value to the squad tbh.

Sinclair's no chance either. I know he's the incumbent but surely he would have been in Zimbabwe if they planned of selecting him for this tour.

Flem274*

123/5
I doubt Franklin even makes the squad. This is the first test series since the national contracts were handed out, you would think that if Franklin was any chance of playing in the next test series he would of been given one. He's not a very good player of spin and his bowling would be next to useless in India, I don't see how he brings any value to the squad tbh.

Sinclair's no chance either. I know he's the incumbent but surely he would have been in Zimbabwe if they planned of selecting him for this tour.
Franklin will make the squad tbh. I can't see who else they'd take. It's a 15 man squad right? After the likely first eleven we've got to find some reserve batsmen from somewhere.

Franklin gets/got reverse swing tbh, though we haven't had a chance to see if he gets any as Franklin mk II. I wouldn't have him in the playing eleven, but he'll tour.

Neither have national contracts, but dropping Sinclair would be pointless now since they picked him for the Aussie series. But then, being picked for a couple of tests and being dropped is the story of his career.

I don't see many others they would realistically pick. There's no way in hell Elliott and Guptill will tour, even though they're contracted. They'll probably pick on a mix of the A tour and domestics. So that means we're looking at How, Flynn, Young, Franklin and maybe Brownlie is a long shot since the selectors have taken a shine to him.

Flem274*

123/5
Four of which were numbers 8-11 in the Napier test during Pakistan's first innings.
The tail is hard to get. Australia to confirm.:ph34r:

Tuffey isn't fantastic, but he's a better bowler than Martin and this is India. Southee is going to be nullified almost completely unless he gets lucky and Arnel we're yet to see how good he is at test level.

Either way Martin will play and bowl **** outside off and go 1/90.

Still think one of McKay and Bennett should play solely because they offer something different (Bennett pace and bounce and McKay nip and swing both ways). Bennett has the better recent FC form so I'd probably go with him.

**** we miss O'Brien as our bang it in bowler.

Howsie

International Captain
I've basically come up with -

Tim McIntosh
Brendon McCullum
Jamie How
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Kane Williamson
Daniel Vettori
Gareth Hopkins
Brent Arnel
Tim Southee
Chris Martin
BJ Watling
Jeetan Patel
Andy McKay
Daniel Flynn

as the squad I think the selectors will take. Flynn's a better player of spin then James Franklin is and given that he's had more success in test cricket over the past couple of years I think they'll take him as the back up middle order batsmen.

Flem274*

123/5
I've basically come up with -

Tim McIntosh
Brendon McCullum
Jamie How
Ross Taylor
Jesse Ryder
Kane Williamson
Daniel Vettori
Gareth Hopkins
Brent Arnel
Tim Southee
Chris Martin
BJ Watling
Jeetan Patel
Andy McKay
Daniel Flynn

as the squad I think the selectors will take. Flynn's a better player of spin then James Franklin is and given that he's had more success in test cricket over the past couple of years I think they'll take him as the back up middle order batsmen.
Actually, I think that's a pretty good prediction mate, though Franklin's bowling might get him in over Flynn and the selectors might make McKay a scapegoat after Bangladesh. Likewise Sinclair has actually done something in the Plunkett Shield, which is more difficult than bullying the crap Zimbabwe A wheeled out for Daniel Flynn at times, but they may well go for him.

Patel shouldn't be there either if we're picking players on A form, but the selectors see him as our number two spinner so I guess he's a dead cert unless they have a brain fade and pick NcCullum.

Last edited:

Howsie

International Captain
The tail is hard to get. Australia to confirm.:ph34r:

Tuffey isn't fantastic, but he's a better bowler than Martin and this is India. Southee is going to be nullified almost completely unless he gets lucky and Arnel we're yet to see how good he is at test level.

Either way Martin will play and bowl **** outside off and go 1/90.

Still think one of McKay and Bennett should play solely because they offer something different (Bennett pace and bounce and McKay nip and swing both ways). Bennett has the better recent FC form so I'd probably go with him.

**** we miss O'Brien as our bang it in bowler.
I reckon they're as bad as each other tbh, both Tuffey and Martin bowl far too defensively these day's for my liking. Daryl Tuffey was almost Chris Martin like last summer with his test bowling - well outside off stump for long periods of time. You'd almost have to think he was told to bowl like that because it was rather obvious at the time.

Flem274*

123/5
I reckon they're as bad as each other tbh, both Tuffey and Martin bowl far too defensively these day's for my liking. Daryl Tuffey was almost Chris Martin like last summer with his test bowling - well outside off stump for long periods of time. You'd almost have to think he was told to bowl like that because it was rather obvious at the time.
Probably the new theory they've got to replace the round the wicket obsession.

Martin's been doing it for far longer and can't bat or field, so I'm more pissed at him. Tuffeh did at least bowl spells on the stumps occassionally and, shock horror, he got wickets.

EDIT: And I think Tuffey is >> Martin overall as a bowler.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

Reckon Sinclair's still a chance; he never gets taken on A tours and still pops up all the time.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
I'd rather have Tuffey than Martin in the test team. About the same, bowling-wise, and at least Tuffey can hold the right end of the bat.

lockton2skipper

U19 Debutant
whens the team announced for the tour ? must be soon. franklin and patel to return plus jamie how and chris martin a cert. hope mckay and bennett get the nod for the tests. williamson and flynn should also make the 15.
mcintosh
how
flynn
taylor
ryder
mccullum
williamson
hopkins
vettori c.
patel
franklin
martin