• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

Xuhaib

International Coach
Butt denies that he made allegations.

Do some of the Pakistani management and players have body doubles or something? They say something recorded one day and then deny it the next!
just saw the great man's interview what he was trying to say is that there are rumours against English players by some bookies but the ICC only started investigating against Pakistani players based on some comments by the bookie .The fool could not make it clear what he wanted to say.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
just saw the great man's interview what he was trying to say is that there are rumours against English players by some bookies but the ICC only started investigating against Pakistani players based on some comments by the bookie .The fool could not make it clear what he wanted to say.
Hmm. Or he knew exactly what his words meant, and they were for domestic consumption. And now the ****'s hit the fan, he's trying to wriggle out of it.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Hmm. Or he knew exactly what his words meant, and they were for domestic consumption. And now the ****'s hit the fan, he's trying to wriggle out of it.
the interview was in English so he should have known its going to get international coverage I am more and more convinced the guy might be suffering from demanture considering he's already 72 and some of the U-turns he does.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
I am not going to defend Butt's comments at all as we all know what his reputation is with Pakistani people and world wide as well. ECB has been of great support to Pakistani Cricket with the Spirit of Cricket series and other offers that they made, when they themselves took financial losses.

They continued the tour after such a big evidence was thrown at the whole world showing that 3-4 Pakistan players were infact dirty. And i agree with what Kamran Abbassi said, Butt has no class to blame ECB for any reason, it was his fault, his management's fault, his players fault that we find ourselves in this situation today, blaming anyone else in this fashion is only going to create more differences and more mistrust of Pakistani cricketers.

I think Butt's tenure as the chairman has completely destroyed Pakistan cricket from top to bottom for the lack of a better description. It has completely ruined our image in the world overall and it has made us look like a laughing stock. Yet he comes out with these cheap shots at the wrong parties. He has brought shame and nothing else to Pakistan.
In addition to the above comment, any Pakistani fan who feels anything negative towards ECB should be banned from saying the word cricket let alone watching it.

A true Pakistani cricket fan could never be grateful enough to the Australians and the English for there support in tough times and for the quality cricket they provided us to watch...and i hope that people like Butt don't come across as representatives of us, the Pak cricket fans.

He has already ruined it with the ICC by going legal for something that was outlandishly stupid and now he is ruining it with individual boards...
I think all cricket fans, especially ones from England will really appreciate you saying this :)

Fully agree with the sentiments.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
You really wonder who would want to play Pakistan after all the hassle the ECB and the players have been through.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
^^ I find it hard to blame the English players for being pretty pissed off this morning. If someone who you know has been interviewed on suspicion of match-fixing said something, they'd no doubt find themselves struggling to walk away. But yeah, not great.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, agreed. Irrespective of whatever has happened this morning, I'm so impressed with the way we've conducted ourselves through this whole thing.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
You know what is the worst thing about all this... Having to see the pain the posts of blokes like Faisal and the other new guy who posted here.. God, these people deserve a better cricket team, a better cricket board and a better Government.. I know I have said this before but this is just so hard to see the pain in their posts. Damn...

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I'm firmly a believer that, under most circumstances, you get the government you deserve. In the subcontinent (not Pakistan alone), people are too blase about corruption. It's an accepted way of life to bribe off the policeman, or the airport baggage handler, or when you need a permit for construction. It's just what you do. There are set prices for different things at the police station, and the percentages that go up the chain on each bribe are precalculated. It's completely accepted and people shruge their shoulders....and then there is shock when it turns out it also happens in the cricket board and the national government. It is what it is. It won't go anywhere unless there is a grassroots movement from the people to stop doing simple things like giving a hundred rupee bribe. But people aren't making that sacrifice. When your montly routine is to bribe off someone or the other, it's a bit rich to throw stone at the cricketers for effectively doing the same thing. The last survey I saw said that 80% of people have paid a bribe in their life, and something like 40% pay a bribe in a regular basis.

This is a tangent but I think related to this whole issue. You're not going to just ferret out corruption in the cricket boards in isolation. Society rarely works that way.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I'm firmly a believer that, under most circumstances, you get the government you deserve. In the subcontinent (not Pakistan alone), people are too blase about corruption. It's an accepted way of life to bribe off the policeman, or the airport baggage handler, or when you need a permit for construction. It's just what you do. There are set prices for different things at the police station, and the percentages that go up the chain on each bribe are precalculated. It's completely accepted and people shruge their shoulders....and then there is shock when it turns out it also happens in the cricket board and the national government. It is what it is. It won't go anywhere unless there is a grassroots movement from the people to stop doing simple things like giving a hundred rupee bribe. But people aren't making that sacrifice. When your montly routine is to bribe off someone or the other, it's a bit rich to throw stone at the cricketers for effectively doing the same thing. The last survey I saw said that 80% of people have paid a bribe in their life, and something like 40% pay a bribe in a regular basis.

This is a tangent but I think related to this whole issue. You're not going to just ferret out corruption in the cricket boards in isolation. Society rarely works that way.
I wouldn't say people accept it, Pakistani media is really nailing any gov. official or otherwise caught in the act and the SC is taking a lot of cases of corruption. The problem is that these people are too strong and well backed by political parties and strong mafias..people have no other choice but to bribe to get their stuff done...you can only do so much to raise a voice against corruption but at the end of the day you are against very strong and influential people and in the end you just don't have a choice but to get on with it.....

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
well this is just painful, i think i need therapy after all this, nothing good is coming out of this

if by some longshot pakistan are found to be relatively in the clear then the conduct of some people has been so shocking that it will leave a scar in people's minds for years and years.

Langeveldt

Soutie
If the England players had any self respect, they would forfeit the series.
Nah.. As much as I'd like to see the tour cancelled, you've got guys who have paid for their tickets, who have travelled to London to see a game of cricket.. As long as this mudslinging from Mr.Butt is completely without a base, I can't see how you can say England's cricketers and management have conducted themselves with anything but professionalism during this woeful summer..

As for Afridi, I like him, I think he's got a good heart even if he is a bit of an oddball with some ridiculous pitch scuffing and ball eating.. But then again, I thought the same about Butt as a captain..

Last edited:

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member

That's fair enough, but it is a pretty steep ask of people to, in many cases, endanger their lives and their families safety by being the ones to start refusing to pay the standover men, when there's no one who will protect you for doing so. Reality is the cast majority of us all would pay up as well.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
The leaving the Test side thing still doesn't wash with me. It only makes sense if you assume that they only fixed results in Tests and not in ODIs. Because it seems extremely likely that spot-fixing is going on in both formats, so retiring from one and not the other doesn't make sense.
If you are accusing Afridi of spot fixing you need to provide some solid proof otherwise this will not set well with me....you better clarify what you mean by this....If Afridi did spot fixing in the ODIs give me some proof of it where he did it....otherwise don't throw trash at every player....i can do the same of English players without any proof...so lets not go down that road.