• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Spot-Fixing Scandal

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Sorry you trust a man who eats cricket balls and dances on pitches? I agree with the rest of your post though it is sad as i'm sure pakistan has alot of clean crickets but it seems their whole board needs to be reshuffled.

Last edited:

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Sorry you trust a man who eats cricket balls and dances on pitches? I agree with the rest of your post though it is sad as i'm sure pakistan has alot of clean crickets but it seems their whole board needs to be reshuffled.
I trust him for not fixing a game or spot fixing or assisting with it...

As for his other acts on field, there is no question about his IQ level being a bit low and his wild character. But he wouldn't compromise on his religious obligations of not earning haram...and i am almost certain the reason he left test side was because he knew that some players were dirty and he was going to get in trouble.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
I think in the scheme of things non of this latest allegation should of come out until or if there was some charge to be heard.It should of been left to the ICC to investigate and then make it public if and only if there was wrong doing.There is far too much ill feeling between the 2 teams and this will take it over the edge.

Jacknife

International Captain
In addition to the above comment, any Pakistani fan who feels anything negative towards ECB should be banned from saying the word cricket let alone watching it.

A true Pakistani cricket fan could never be grateful enough to the Australians and the English for there support in tough times and for the quality cricket they provided us to watch...and i hope that people like Butt don't come across as representatives of us, the Pak cricket fans.

He has already ruined it with the ICC by going legal for something that was outlandishly stupid and now he is ruining it with individual boards...
I agree Faisal and it's good to here from a true Pakistani supporter,especially after some of the venomous comments I have read around the internet towards the England team and the ECB

smash84

The Tiger King
I concur

I am not going to defend Butt's comments at all as we all know what his reputation is with Pakistani people and world wide as well. ECB has been of great support to Pakistani Cricket with the Spirit of Cricket series and other offers that they made, when they themselves took financial losses.

They continued the tour after such a big evidence was thrown at the whole world showing that 3-4 Pakistan players were infact dirty. Irrespective of whether they defrauded the bookies or not, the fact remains that an outsider had influence on the outcome of the parts of the games and had enough power to possibly change the game all together. God knows on what previous ocassions this had occured. I would however, like to see more solid evidence regarding the 3rd ODI, which i personally doubt was spot fixed. The reason is, if Afridi turned out someone like Butt, i wouldn't know what to trust anymore regarding my life. Cricket is one passion of my life which can't be replaced with anything else..even a woman..Afridi is one guy I would trust along with Younis Khan who would never earn illegitamate income and compromise on their Iman can't say the same for any other player in the team at the moment, perhaps with the exception of Gul....

And i agree with what Kamran Abbassi said, Butt has no class to blame ECB for any reason, it was his fault, his management's fault, his players fault that we find ourselves in this situation today, blaming anyone else in this fashion is only going to create more differences and more mistrust of Pakistani cricketers.

I think Butt's tenure as the chairman has completely destroyed Pakistan cricket from top to bottom for the lack of a better description. It has completely ruined our image in the world overall and it has made us look like a laughing stock. Yet he comes out with these cheap shots at the wrong parties. He has brought shame and nothing else to Pakistan.

However, rumors are floating in media and else where that this PPP Government has done its time and will collapse soon, that will bring a new President and possibly a new chairman to PCB. But then again, who says the guy who comes next would be any better.

The moment you think we have hit rock bottom as a nation and a country, there always another nasty surprise from the new government for common Pakistanis.
I am from Pakistan and I agree with you on this wholeheartedly Faisal. This idiot Ijaz Butt is symbolic of the actual government at the helm of affairs in Pakistan. There are rumors of the govt collapsing soon and hopefully it will be the end of Ijaz Butt.

The guy has some cheek blaming ECB while his own cricketers are caught red handed. I along with millions of others am really thankful to the English as well as the aussies for providing us with such great cricket. I hope the ICC has some rule for banning heads of cricket boards from attending the meetings and they ban Ijaz Butt from attending all of their future meetings.

Thank You once again ECB and ACB.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wouldnt get your hopes up about being successfully sued - defamation/libel/slander is notoriously difficult to prove (there are a number of legs that need to be satisified before any action can be successful) and IMAmateurO this statement doesnt come close to meeting the criteria

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Wouldnt get your hopes up about being successfully sued - defamation/libel/slander is notoriously difficult to prove (there are a number of legs that need to be satisified before any action can be successful) and IMAmateurO this statement doesnt come close to meeting the criteria
Who getting sued successfully?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
DWTA - in English law, defamation is notoriously easy to prove and difficult to defend. Once you establish that there was a publication (yes - he spoke at a press conference) of defamatory words (yes - he accused them of taking bribes to throw a match) the burden passes to the Defendant to prove their truth (difficult - the only basis he offered for his remarks was gossip among bookies) or to raise some other defence (eg privilege - such as making the statements in court proceedings - which doesn't apply here).

The only real difficulty I could see in this case is in identifying precisely which player(s) Ijaz Butt was referring to. Unless that could be done, the case would be hard to win.

Xuhaib

International Coach
eventhough Butt is an embarrassment and should be treated as a rubbish can on most of the things he say but when we are talking about scoring patters I do agree that investigations should not be one sided but the batting,bowling and fielding should be investigated all together since all three have a role in deciding what is scored on a single delivery.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I trust him for not fixing a game or spot fixing or assisting with it...

As for his other acts on field, there is no question about his IQ level being a bit low and his wild character. But he wouldn't compromise on his religious obligations of not earning haram...and i am almost certain the reason he left test side was because he knew that some players were dirty and he was going to get in trouble.
The leaving the Test side thing still doesn't wash with me. It only makes sense if you assume that they only fixed results in Tests and not in ODIs. Because it seems extremely likely that spot-fixing is going on in both formats, so retiring from one and not the other doesn't make sense.

Themer

U19 Cricketer
ECB and PCA are going to pursue all legal avenues.

Butt will get ripped apart in court on defamation in my opinion.

Jayzamann

International Regular
Lol not been there in years but PakPassion is a riot right now.
I decided to take a look at proceedings after this post. The guys who post there are very philosophical. One page on one thread had both an Aristotle and Mark Twain quote relating to Butt's comments.

I'm struggling to find a word other than cluster**** for this whole thing.