• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I'm not convinced that you and I do necessarily disagree - I think there is a distinction between spot fixing and match fixing but do accept that ordinarily it is a distinction without a difference - thus I don't believe that the distinction is relevant where Butt and Asif are concerned - I still think it may be where Amir is though
While I accept that spot fixing and matching are inherently different methods, they still constitute the same thing and lead down the same path. I'm just not convinced that Amir should be treated any differently from Butt and Asif; players that deserve a life ban. I'm concerned that a number of posters seem to think he should be given a slap on the wrist just because he is highly talented despite showing little adherence to the basic principles of the game.

Last edited:

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't always agree with Chappelli, but this article pretty much sums up how I feel. Ian Chappell: Save the game or lose it | Opinion | Cricinfo Magazine | Cricinfo.com
I was with him all along till he argued for suspending Pakistan from Pakistan cricket. I do not understand this argument of from the likes of Chappell and Speed...considering the way the world decided to turn a blind eye to Mark Waugh and Shane Warne incident, despite the fact that ACB knew about it back in 95 but decided to hide it under the carpet.

The current ODI series should have been cancelled. Agree

Life ban for Aamer if found guilty. Agree

Suspect Pakistan from cricket? This is where I am missing something. You are running an investigation, it is your job to find the guilty players and take appropriate action. How is banning an entire team and punishing rest of the innocent players for crimes of 4 or 5 justified??

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I was with him all along till he argued for suspending Pakistan from Pakistan cricket. I do not understand this argument of from the likes of Chappell and Speed...considering the way the world decided to turn a blind eye to Mark Waugh and Shane Warne incident, despite the fact that ACB knew about it back in 95 but decided to hide it under the carpet.

The current ODI series should have been cancelled. Agree

Life ban for Aamer if found guilty. Agree

Suspect Pakistan from cricket? This is where I am missing something. You are running an investigation, it is your job to find the guilty players and take appropriate action. How is banning an entire team and punishing rest of the innocent players for crimes of 4 or 5 justified??
I may not completely agree with banning Pakistan from cricket, but it's clear that corruption in Pakistani cricket runs far deeper than the few players currently being investigated.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
And that is why they deserve exemplary punishment...to root out corruptoin ..to prevent the next 18 year old Aamer from being involved in these acts. However, banning the entire country from taking part in cricket destroys any chance of any future exciting 18 year old youngster. How that is considered good for cricket is beyond me.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I may not completely agree with banning Pakistan from cricket, but it's clear that corruption in Pakistani cricket runs far deeper than the few players currently being investigated.
This is not just Pakistan, its the subcontinent, IPL mess was just a a slight implication...The mafias in subcontinents is really strong... The only comment i liked from Hameed from his video was..."whoever is caught is a crook..." this is true 100%...God knows who else is doing what...

outbreak

First Class Debutant
If people readily admit that Pakistans cricket body is corrupt how can they argue it should be allowed to continue playing? They should be suspended not as punishment but as precaution and while their suspended the ICC should work very closely to reestablish the cricket structure and root out the issues so they can come back stronger. If nothing is done to the source now 5 years down the track we'll be seeing the same threads as these all over again. Better to stop the problem at it's source now then let it keep going.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
The whole fixing culture is more rooted in India than any other nation, that is where the real money is thrown around. Indian players generally tend to be more loyal towards their nation however. Certain members of the Indian team just arent as stupid as Pakistanis. Azharuddin, Kambli and co were caught anyways. The fixing bookie culture is extremely strong in India, it speaks volumes of loyal Indian cricketers who havent given into those temptation, although obviously Indian cricketers make fortunes regardless.

In any case, age certainly plays a part in the severity of the punishment, upon looking at the case and concluding what role Asif and co played in drawing an 18 year old, possibly a 17 year old into a world of crime, the court should decide how they would treat Amir differently. I think he should be punished severely, but perhaps they can impose other types of punishments which do not entirely take him away from the game and reduce the years of suspension.

Lets see what happens, if he is banned for life, I certainly wouldnt mind, but it would be sad.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
The whole fixing culture is more rooted in India than any other nation, that is where the real money is thrown around. Indian players generally tend to be more loyal towards their nation however. Certain members of the Indian team just arent as stupid as Pakistanis. Azharuddin, Kambli and co were caught anyways. The fixing bookie culture is extremely strong in India, it speaks volumes of loyal Indian cricketers who havent given into those temptation, although obviously Indian cricketers make fortunes regardless.

In any case, age certainly plays a part in the severity of the punishment, upon looking at the case and concluding what role Asif and co played in drawing an 18 year old, possibly a 17 year old into a world of crime, the court should decide how they would treat Amir differently. I think he should be punished severely, but perhaps they can impose other types of punishments which do not entirely take him away from the game and reduce the years of suspension.

Lets see what happens, if he is banned for life, I certainly wouldnt mind, but it would be sad.
yeah.. the thing is India is a bigger country where big money players are around for this evil to not just exist, but flourish... And the fact that cricket has virtually no competition makes it such an easy target. I wish you what you are saying weren't true, but maybe legalizing gambling might help to a small extent.. Let's see..

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wouldn't be that merciful myself - I'd also take a different view if Amir were ultimately shown to have participated in actual result rigging
Key for me is how much he's willing to say about the others involved- if he keeps his mouth shut there's no way he can play another match, surely.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Key for me is how much he's willing to say about the others involved- if he keeps his mouth shut there's no way he can play another match, surely.
Indeed - if he has been naive and foolish, which I believe he has, then part of that belief being confirmed would have to be his singing like the proverbial canary

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
In 1981 a court in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, sentenced one Dudley Wayne Kyzer to two consecutive life sentences plus 10,000 years in prison. That, in my judgment, is what they should be taking as a starting point for young Aamir.

Next case!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If he does provide evidence that leads to other players getting properly punished, then I mightn't mind so much if he were to get somewhere between 5-10 years, but it still has to be at least 5 years IMO.

pasag

RTDAS
If he bought down the whole system then it'd be one thing, but just providing evidence against Butt and Asif isn't really good enough for a severe reduction, have plenty of that already.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
haha, tough standards, you guys.

Anyway, think it's a given that what he'd say would apply well beyond Butt and Asif. If he can particularise meetings with and/or involving them, he can definitely stitch up a bunch of others. I'd back he'd see a massive reduction in his ban if what he gives is worth something.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Realistically if he turns informant and brings down afew players (if he does want leniency he needs to come up with more then just naming butt and asif.) I can't see it helping his career anyway. I don't see Pakistan letting him in the team (i doubt he'll bring down any of the corrupt board) and unless their whole side cleans house many players will resent him and won't play with him. I suppose at his age he may have to just wait out the generation of players which could take more then 5 years. It may also help him by possibly opening up avenues to play in other domestic leagues though if he rolls over and gets a reduced ban.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for 5 years. But the major argument I respect for a life ban is that if he bowled a couple of no balls no doubt he was up to other shannanigans - and if you beleive the bookie when he said that they would bowl no balls - then you have to believe him when he said the sydney test was rigged.

Also all this talk about him singing like a canary. Why isn't he confessing already.

I think in searching my reasoning for voting for a 5 year ban - I took into account what was best for the game of cricket and decided we couldnt afford to lose him. Not sure how sound that is on retrospect.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I voted for 5 years. But the major argument I respect for a life ban is that if he bowled a couple of no balls no doubt he was up to other shannanigans - and if you beleive the bookie when he said that they would bowl no balls - then you have to believe him when he said the sydney test was rigged.

Also all this talk about him singing like a canary. Why isn't he confessing already.

I think in searching my reasoning for voting for a 5 year ban - I took into account what was best for the game of cricket and decided we couldnt afford to lose him. Not sure how sound that is on retrospect.
Yeah I know. A player who is willing to be involved in match fixing for a few bills is very important for the game. Should be an official mascot

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, don't know how the game of cricket 'can't afford to lose Amir'. Any player might get a career-ending injury tomorrow, and cricket would be fine.