• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Aamer Situation

If found guilty, Aamer should be banned for:

• Total voters

Fusion

Global Moderator
Can the mods add a poll to this thread - I will get shot if I start another thread on this topic. I want to see numbers on what CW thinks should happen if he is found guilty:

a) 2 year ban
b) 5 year ban
c) 10 year ban
d) life ban
e) irrelevant option
Done.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Life. No difference between spot fixing and match fixing, nor should youth mitigate his length of ban

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Assuming for the purpose of this that he's just done as his skipper/opening partner asked IMO a bollocking, a couple of months on the naughty step and someone who can be trusted keeping a very close eye on him in the future would be sufficient

andyc

Thing with a 5 year ban is that when he comes back, he'd still be only 23/24, which is still younger than when many other players debut, let alone come back from a ban. I'm definitely in fan of a lifetime ban, but if not, it surely has to be at least 10.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Assuming for the purpose of this that he's just done as his skipper/opening partner asked IMO a bollocking, a couple of months on the naughty step and someone who can be trusted keeping a very close eye on him in the future would be sufficient
This is a joke right. Slap him with a wet fish and it'll be right?

This really irks me. What kind of precedent does this set for the game? Yeah right, Butt made him :laugh:

Everyone need to forget that he's some extremely promising bowler but rather a player that obviously doesn't give a **** about the integrity of the game and would throw it away for a few dollars. The defense given is a load of ****. 10 years minimum, life preferable.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
I think youth should definitely play a part. Would be either 5 or 10 years for me.
Why should it. If anything, like candy mentions, he can easily come back after five years. If 18 is too young to be banned for life then 18 is too young to be playing.

fredfertang

This is a joke right. Slap him with a wet fish and it'll be right?

This really irks me. What kind of precedent does this set for the game? Yeah right, Butt made him :laugh:

Everyone need to forget that he's some extremely promising bowler but rather a player that obviously doesn't give a **** about the integrity of the game and would throw it away for a few dollars. The defense given is a load of ****. 10 years minimum, life preferable.
The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven,
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blessed.
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
It is mightiest in the mightiest,

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Why should it. If anything, like candy mentions, he can easily come back after five years. If 18 is too young to be banned for life then 18 is too young to be playing.
That might be true and I sort of agree with you on the last point, but that's not his fault.

It matters because younger people are much less likely to understand the implications of what they are doing and they are much more easily coerced into doing things like this. He is 18 and still probably quite immature mentally. There is a reason why courts hand out leser punishments to people of 18 than they would that of 36 and I don't see why cricket should be any different.

And before you say anything, I'd say exactly the same thing regardless of how good or not he is.

andyc

The quality of mercy is not strained.
It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven,
Upon the place beneath.
It is twice blessed.
It blesseth him that gives and him that takes.
It is mightiest in the mightiest,
Well, that convinced me. In fact, while we're being merciful, let's let Butt and Asif off as well.

fredfertang

Well, that convinced me. In fact, while we're being merciful, let's let Butt and Asif off as well.
Wouldn't be that merciful myself - I'd also take a different view if Amir were ultimately shown to have participated in actual result rigging

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Spot fixing = match fixing. You're still getting payment to change the outcome to what it would have been differently.

Nah, screw it. lets all have a big tea party with the bookies and cricket can become like wrestling. instead of having prediction threads we can have spoiler threads, cant wait.

fredfertang

What, with all due respect, is more relevant to this question, is whether Amir believes spot fixing = match fixing

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
That might be true and I sort of agree with you on the last point, but that's not his fault.

It matters because younger people are much less likely to understand the implications of what they are doing and they are much more easily coerced into doing things like this. He is 18 and still probably quite immature mentally. There is a reason why courts hand out leser punishments to people of 18 than they would that of 36 and I don't see why cricket should be any different.

And before you say anything, I'd say exactly the same thing regardless of how good or not he is.
Since you brought up the analogy of the courts system I'll have to bring it back. Basically match fixing (I count spot fixing as match fixing) is the worst crime in cricket, right? Now, murder is the worst crime under common law also . So therefore, despite the fact that he is 18, he has done something, along with the others, that has irrefutable changed the course of the game in a detrimental manner and therefore should be punished according to the top punishment allowed in this game.

I do wonder why there isn't a Butt thread though...

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
What, with all due respect, is more relevant to this question, is whether Amir believes spot fixing = match fixing
I disagree. They're one and the same and should be viewed as such. He's already displayed that he cares little for the integrity of the game and is happy to get a few bucks for an action that could potentially change a game.

fredfertang

I disagree. They're one and the same and should be viewed as such. He's already displayed that he cares little for the integrity of the game and is happy to get a few bucks for an action that could potentially change a game.
I'm not convinced that you and I do necessarily disagree - I think there is a distinction between spot fixing and match fixing but do accept that ordinarily it is a distinction without a difference - thus I don't believe that the distinction is relevant where Butt and Asif are concerned - I still think it may be where Amir is though