• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers who have had a lasting impact on how the game is played.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Zimbabwean who invented paddle scoop.
A household name in limited over cricket.
Very cheeky.
Douglas Marillier - interesting chap, to come back from being told he would never walk again to nearly hand it to the Aussies in a one day international earns a lot of respect..

Aside from the obvious Murali, with the law change.

WG Grace

who was the first person to bat with a helmet? That must have been quite a thing..

Jack Russell was incredible to watch in the late nineties, keeping wicket standing up to medium pacers, or even fast mediums was AFAIK a lot less heard of before.. In fact that whole Gloucestershire side of the turn of the millenium definitely raised the bar when it came to of limited overs county cricket..

Adam Gilchrist I think was partly responsible for the increase in run rates that teams aspire to in test cricket..

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Dennis Amiss was one of the first "modern" batsmen to wear a helmet - there had been a few strange items of headgear worn when Larwood was at his peak

tooextracool

International Coach
Of my cant believe i missed this thread. Would anyone say Steve Waugh as a test captain?. The way he encouraged AUS to play super-agressive cricket, scoring 3.5 - 4 runs an over in a day in tests, was definately a benchmark most teams today usually wish to do (although flat pitches are average attacks played a part here too, but lets not go into this again).
No. Lets not kid ourselves by extending Steve Waugh with more credit than he deserves. Here is a man who was possibly slightly above average as a captain made to look like one of the greatest merely because of the fact that he presided as captain during a time when Australia had a monopoly on the legends going around in cricket. He scored at less an SR of less than 50 himself, and he had the likes of Hayden, Gilchrist, Slater and Ponting in his side. Quite frankly a chimpanzee would have overseen an aggressive batting unit during his time.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
No. Lets not kid ourselves by extending Steve Waugh with more credit than he deserves. Here is a man who was possibly slightly above average as a captain made to look like one of the greatest merely because of the fact that he presided as captain during a time when Australia had a monopoly on the legends going around in cricket. He scored at less an SR of less than 50 himself, and he had the likes of Hayden, Gilchrist, Slater and Ponting in his side. Quite frankly a chimpanzee would have overseen an aggressive batting unit during his time.
&, ironically, SRW was succeed by one. :ph34r:

What about Franklyn Stephenson who seems to have popularised if not invented slower balls in one-dayers?

& was Sajid Mahmood the first to deliberately send down the slower-ball bouncer (the delivery formerly known as the long hop) in limited overs? If not Saj then who first bowled or popularised them? Our chaps used then with great success in our T20 WC win anyway.

chicane

State Captain
was Sajid Mahmood the first to deliberately send down the slower-ball bouncer (the delivery formerly known as the long hop) in limited overs? If not Saj then who first bowled or popularised them? Our chaps used then with great success in our T20 WC win anyway.
I remember Brett Lee as one of the earliest to use it to good effect in internationals. Thought it was him.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
What about Franklyn Stephenson who seems to have popularised if not invented slower balls in one-dayers?

& was Sajid Mahmood the first to deliberately send down the slower-ball bouncer (the delivery formerly known as the long hop) in limited overs? If not Saj then who first bowled or popularised them? Our chaps used then with great success in our T20 WC win anyway.
I don't think Sajid Mahmood has ever bowled a ball as intended in his career.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Warwick Armstrong's impact on test cricket was pretty substantial wasn't it? Others will know more than me, but wasn't his Aus side in the early 1920's the first one to have two quick opening bowlers. Plus the whole approach seemed more aggressive than what had gone before. Clearly an influence on Jardine imo.

bagapath

International Captain
franklyn might have invented it. but it was the chimpanzee himself who popularized it. australia's WC triumph owed a lot to SRW's successful contributions as a bowling allrounder, a role enhanced by his pioneering use of slower deliveries in the death overs.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Cairns surely?

bagapath

International Captain
andy roberts was reputed to have had four different bouncers in his repertoire; slow, medium fast, fast and killer.

if u guys are talking about the long hop as a wicket taking delivery then the man in my avatar was the one who used it best

Last edited:

Shri

Mr. Glass
Venkatesh Prasad introduced Right Arm Slow Medium bowling to ODI cricket. Nobody followed his example in the end.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If we're going down that route, Debashish Mohanty was the first (and the only one to the best of my knowledge) to leave batsmen in doubt as to which arm he was going to use to deliver the ball.