• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** T20 Champions League in South Africa

Woodster

International Captain
Honestly I don't think the IPL teams are favourites at all, with the exception of maybe Chennai, the rest don't look particularly strong. Gotta remember, only about 8/11 or fewer players in the team would have even played in conditions similar to those in South Africa. Indian batsmen might have a tough time.
They are the favourites with the bookies though, which is what I was alluding to. The Indian batsmen will certainly have a tougher time than batting in conditions at home, but on paper they still have plenty of quality within their sides.

Mumbai have players such as Tendulkar, Bravo, Duminy, Zaheer, Harbhajan, Malinga, Pollard, Tiwary. That's a pretty strong looking T20 side in theory, while RCB have Kallis, Ross Taylor, Steyn, White, Uthappa, Kohli, Dravid, Kumble. That's not too shabby either.

Just fancy Victoria to edge it.

Woodster

International Captain
Alexander will shock a few with his pace and if he is on top form and bowling 150kmph it could be interesting. Due to him being injured for 9 months I also hope he can swing it both ways still. It seemed like he had a good emerging tour, being leading wicket-taker so the signs are good.
Pretty sure he'll shock more than a few if he's bowling 150kph and swinging it both ways! Will be nigh on unplayable. Look forward to seeing how he goes.

I'm quite looking forward to it aswell, not T20's biggest fan, but you do get the chance in this tournament to see domestic players that you would not usually see on the international scene.

Woodster

International Captain
Maybe not the Lions but the Warriors attack is IMO probably the best bowling attack in the tournament given the conditions, plus they have the PE home crowd.
I don't have extensive knowledge of the lesser known bowlers in their line-up, but will be surprised if they out-bowl a team that can include Siddle, Harwood, Nannes, McGain, Mckay etc.

Knowledge of home conditions will be useful, no doubt, as will the crowd, but this Victorian attack have all the tools at their disposal.

SeamUp

International Coach
Pretty sure he'll shock more than a few if he's bowling 150kph and swinging it both ways! Will be nigh on unplayable. Look forward to seeing how he goes.

I'm quite looking forward to it aswell, not T20's biggest fan, but you do get the chance in this tournament to see domestic players that you would not usually see on the international scene.
Yeah I know, Alexander has had the talent since he was 14/15 where he could just bowl fast. But his major problem is that he can be erratic and with his pace and the fact that he isn't that tall, he can also fly around the park a bit.

But if he gets it right...he can be a handful.

Yeah, I quite like this T20 concept but the debate should be...should there be an IPL as well. Because why can't the Indians have their own domestic T20 competition so the international players can also get a break instead of playing in their T20 comp. But its all down to money nowadays I guess.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
I don't have extensive knowledge of the lesser known bowlers in their line-up, but will be surprised if they out-bowl a team that can include Siddle, Harwood, Nannes, McGain, Mckay etc.

Knowledge of home conditions will be useful, no doubt, as will the crowd, but this Victorian attack have all the tools at their disposal.
Well the lesser known bowlers and probable bowling lineup will be Ntini, Tsotsobe, Botha, Boje and Rusty Theron. On the bench is Garnett Kruger.

I doubt all of them will play unless they like a 5 man tail. Who are the allrounders?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach

Its a pity that Kallis and Parnell are missing for the Warriors for various reasons.

Otherwise the Warriors bowling line-up in home conditions and the PE crowd behind them can be quite daunting for the opposition.

1. Ntini
2. Tsotsobe or Garnett Kruger
3. Theron
4. Johan Botha
5. Nicky Boje

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah I know, Alexander has had the talent since he was 14/15 where he could just bowl fast. But his major problem is that he can be erratic and with his pace and the fact that he isn't that tall, he can also fly around the park a bit.

But if he gets it right...he can be a handful.

Yeah, I quite like this T20 concept but the debate should be...should there be an IPL as well. Because why can't the Indians have their own domestic T20 competition so the international players can also get a break instead of playing in their T20 comp. But its all down to money nowadays I guess.
You nailed it in your last sentence, it's all about the money, which is a shame because I agree if India could have their own T20 comp then this kind of competition may become a quite prestigious trophy to win, and it can cut back on all this T20 cricket that the top internationals play. But money does unfortunately rule.

Woodster

International Captain
Well the lesser known bowlers are Ntini, Tsotsobe, Botha, Boje and Rusty Theron. On the bench is Garnett Kruger.
To be honest was looking at those that probably won't feature a great deal. Haven't seen loads of Theron either.

Can't really see too much there that would make me think they'll rattle through a few sides, but you never know.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Its a pity that Kallis and Parnell are missing for the Warriors for various reasons.

Otherwise the Warriors bowling line-up in home conditions and the PE crowd behind them can be quite daunting for the opposition.

1. Ntini
2. Tsotsobe or Garnett Kruger
3. Theron
4. Johan Botha
5. Nicky Boje
Absolutely, if you throw Kallis and Parnell into the mix it does give them an extra dimension. Not sure about Ntini's capabilities these days. Put in a decent enough stint at Kent this season, but will be fairly reliant on the pitches helping him out.

SeamUp

International Coach
Looking at the Victorian squad...probable team

1. Rob Quiney
2. Brad Hodge
3. Aaron Finch
4. David Hussey
5. Andrew McDonald
6. Matthew Wade
7. John Hastings
8. Clint McKay
9. Peter Siddle
10. Dirk Nannes
11. Bryce McGain (oooh...bad memories of South Africa)

Reserve: Carters, Maxwell, Pattinson & Harwood.

So they do seem to have a quite a long tail there. Probably the only weakness they have along with possibly McGain if he doesn't overcome his deamons.

But they are my favourites as well...chased by the Warriors and Bangalore.

Last edited:

Woodster

International Captain
Yes the key is if they can get the runs on the board, and also the fitness of Siddle who has been out of action for quite some time.

Hodge and Hussey are so experienced and talented in this format, that the weight of expectation will probably enhance their performance rather than have any adverse effect.

Woodster

International Captain
I cannot imagine any side could field a bowling attack that could compete with NSW line-up last year. Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Hauritz, and also Moises Henriques and Steven Smith, now that was pretty useful

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I cannot imagine any side could field a bowling attack that could compete with NSW line-up last year. Brett Lee, Stuart Clark, Doug Bollinger, Nathan Hauritz, and also Moises Henriques and Steven Smith, now that was pretty useful
You can also add Bracken to that list.

Then theres the new boys on the block like Trent Copeland, Josh Hazlewood and Mitchell Starc. Their fast bowling depth is to die for, but I guess you can onlly put out 5 to 6 bowlers at a time.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yes the key is if they can get the runs on the board, and also the fitness of Siddle who has been out of action for quite some time.

Hodge and Hussey are so experienced and talented in this format, that the weight of expectation will probably enhance their performance rather than have any adverse effect.
This Vics side is good but my team the Cobras beat them last year in this comp and I'm confident they would do it again. My Cobras team could be deadly dangerous if they were at this tournament.

GIBBS, G.SMITH, VAN ZYL, DUMINY, KEMP, VILAS (+), R. PETERSON, PHILANDER, KLEINVELDT, STEYN, LANGEVELDT.

Woodster

International Captain
This Vics side is good but my team the Cobras beat them last year in this comp and I'm confident they would do it again. My Cobras team could be deadly dangerous if they were at this tournament.

GIBBS, G.SMITH, VAN ZYL, DUMINY, KEMP, VILAS (+), R. PETERSON, PHILANDER, KLEINVELDT, STEYN, LANGEVELDT.
Yes not a bad side at all, unfortunately a few of them would be representing their IPL sides rather than the Cobras.

Flem274*

123/5
Yes not a bad side at all, unfortunately a few of them would be representing their IPL sides rather than the Cobras.
Yeah that's the thing. Full strength CD beat full strength Auckland in the final by a lot. Yet witth the squad Auckland could potentially have chosen from now, I'd have to say Guptill, Vincent, Bopara, Styris, Kitchen, de Grandhomme, Hopkins, Mills, Tuffey, Hira, Bates is better than CD without Taylor, Oram, and Napier.

Though we're still going to win.:cool:

Woodster

International Captain
Yeah that's the thing. Full strength CD beat full strength Auckland in the final by a lot. Yet witth the squad Auckland could potentially have chosen from now, I'd have to say Guptill, Vincent, Bopara, Styris, Kitchen, de Grandhomme, Hopkins, Mills, Tuffey, Hira, Bates is better than CD without Taylor, Oram, and Napier.

Though we're still going to win.:cool:
Love the optimism!:)

Taylor. Oram and Napier are big absentees for CD. Top T20 performers.

Julian87

State Captain

I'm confident they wouldn't as they're not good enough to be there.