• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** T20 Champions League in South Africa

AaronK

State Regular
I can't believe i am saying this but i can't wait for this tournment to start..

I have never supported and liked IPL and tournments that involved IPL teams..but now completely heartbroken with the turn of events srounding pakistani team.. I just need some kind of cricket match to get my attention away from all this..

any match that doesn't involve Pakistan..

I hope ICC ban pakistan for a while so that they can learn their lessons and fix their cricket..

Shri

Mr. Glass
Oh well yes given the broken structure of the ICC & the power the BCCI has in the game, that will indeed be the case unfortunately.

I dont know if those at the top have/will ever have the will power to make the ICC more independent, so it can make proper decisions in the best interests of the global game. But since the 1st T20 WC in 07, T20 has exploded at an alarming rate worldwide & its appeal has not be controlled properly & it threatens the popularity of test cricket in the future. T20s need to be controlled - having both the IPL & CL in a yearly calendar is not feasable.
Won't happen either way. Even if the ICC was run in the right way, this sort of money is too good to pass up.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Going to the game in PE on Saturday, mainly to get drunk..
What is the point if teams from England and Pakistan aren't there? Not much of a champions league is it..

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Going to the game in PE on Saturday, mainly to get drunk..
What is the point if teams from England and Pakistan aren't there? Not much of a champions league is it..
what do you think about CL this time around in SA...Is it gathering any attention....

Langeveldt

Soutie
what do you think about CL this time around in SA...Is it gathering any attention....
It is in my town, because we don't have too much rugby to talk about and the Warriors are in the competition.. The whole issue from the Pakistan/England tour seems to have by and large escaped the public's attention, and T20 is always popular here, so I expect it to be a success.. But I am only talking from an Eastern Cape point of view

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
It is in my town, because we don't have too much rugby to talk about and the Warriors are in the competition.. The whole issue from the Pakistan/England tour seems to have by and large escaped the public's attention, and T20 is always popular here, so I expect it to be a success.. But I am only talking from an Eastern Cape point of view
Thanx...I dont want to get CL ruined this time with empty stadiums....:)

BTW i never seen empty stadiums in sa

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hope the Indian players get some early acclimatization to the S. African conditions for the upcoming Test series.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Won't happen either way. Even if the ICC was run in the right way, this sort of money is too good to pass up.
Nah. If the ICC was proper governing body i certainly could see them having better control of the rise of T20 cricket, which would mean not having both the IPL & CL in a yearly calendar. Money would still be made from the obvious big interest of T20 - but it would be better managed.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If they don't go for good profits to develop cricket's global infrastructure they are a **** organisation anyway no matter how they are run.

Woodster

International Captain
Was having a look through the squads last night, and while the three IPL teams have been installed as favourites (understandably so when you look at the talent at their disposal), I have a strong feeling for Victoria.

They have a good wealth of experience within their squad, and bowlers such as Harwood, Siddle, Nannes, McKay and McDonald should be a handful on SA tracks. With responsibilty falling on the shoulders of Hussey D, Hodge and Quiney with the bat. The real team ethic, a side that is not thrown together for brief occasions in a year, will help when things get tight, and they are also one of only three sides to have played in the first Champions League T20.

South Australia may spring a surpise or two along the way, so too the two home sides - Warriors and Lions, but cannot see any of those as potential champions. Central Districts, Wayamba and Guyana may just be there to make up the numbers.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
If they don't go for good profits to develop cricket's global infrastructure they are a **** organisation anyway no matter how they are run.
I dont see how if the ICC was a proper governing body, if they just had T20 WC every 2 years along with either an one of the IPL (preferably revamped) or the CL as yearly tournament T20 tournament. How good profits wont still be made.

The ICC doesn't exactly get money out of the IPL & CL for buidling global infastructure either. The BCCI does for the IPL & the BCCI, CSA, CA gets for the CL & they help themselves.

Shri

Mr. Glass
I dont see how if the ICC was a proper governing body, if they just had T20 WC every 2 years along with either an one of the IPL (preferably revamped) or the CL as yearly tournament T20 tournament. How good profits wont still be made.

The ICC doesn't exactly get money out of the IPL & CL for buidling global infastructure either. The BCCI does for the IPL & the BCCI, CSA, CA gets for the CL & they help themselves.
The ICC doesn't get a cut? Thats ****ed.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Was having a look through the squads last night, and while the three IPL teams have been installed as favourites (understandably so when you look at the talent at their disposal), I have a strong feeling for Victoria.

They have a good wealth of experience within their squad, and bowlers such as Harwood, Siddle, Nannes, McKay and McDonald should be a handful on SA tracks. With responsibilty falling on the shoulders of Hussey D, Hodge and Quiney with the bat. The real team ethic, a side that is not thrown together for brief occasions in a year, will help when things get tight, and they are also one of only three sides to have played in the first Champions League T20.

South Australia may spring a surpise or two along the way, so too the two home sides - Warriors and Lions, but cannot see any of those as potential champions. Central Districts, Wayamba and Guyana may just be there to make up the numbers.
Honestly I don't think the IPL teams are favourites at all, with the exception of maybe Chennai, the rest don't look particularly strong. Gotta remember, only about 8/11 or fewer players in the team would have even played in conditions similar to those in South Africa. Indian batsmen might have a tough time.

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
Warriors and Lions, but cannot see any of those as potential champions. Central Districts, Wayamba and Guyana may just be there to make up the numbers.
Maybe not the Lions but the Warriors attack is IMO probably the best bowling attack in the tournament given the conditions, plus they have the PE home crowd.

SeamUp

International Coach
Besides T&T in last years comp only the SA and AUS teams did anything of note.

Cobras, Vics & NSW were in the semi's and the Eagles just missed out on qualification for semis because the only 2 games they lost were to the finalists in NSW and T&T.

So the IPL teams better come to the party in this addition because if they don't it could be looking very similar to last years comp.

I'm not usually a big fan of T20 cricket but this tournament does catch mt eye due to the champions from all over the world going head to head (you don't watch them play against each other all the time) and obviously the unearthing of young talent is quite exciting.

SeamUp

International Coach
I wonder if the ball is going to fly thorugh at the Wanderers tomorrow...unusual to play in September so I'm not sure how the wickets will play.

If it does fly through it could be interesting to see Craig Alexander and Ethan O'reilly bowl for the Lions tomorrow.

Alexander will shock a few with his pace and if he is on top form and bowling 150kmph it could be interesting. Due to him being injured for 9 months I also hope he can swing it both ways still. It seemed like he had a good emerging tour, being leading wicket-taker so the signs are good.

I think a batsman might get a shock or 2 with O'Reilly's huge in-duckers if they haven't seen him bowl but they've probably seen footage.