• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Why? How exactly do you draw the line between what is acceptable and what not?

Last couple of India-Pak series in both countries have been seriously dire, though.

EDIT : Adding to my previous point, 40% of the Tests in Ashes 2005 ended in draws. And then you had an identical result but far less interesting series in '09. SA vs. England had 2 out of 4 Tests drawn and it was a very enjoyable series. Those numbers alone don't tell us anything at all, IMO.
But there is a difference buddy
45 % in 5 years

and 40 % in one 5 match test series

Sample size in the latter case is just too small

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
But there is a difference buddy
45 % in 5 years

and 40 % in one 5 match test series

Sample size in the latter case is just too small
Yeah, but the example shows that the number alone doesn't say much. And as G. I. Joe alluded to earlier, draws aren't inherently bad.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
I wonder what all the experts have to say now about Strauss's remark of it being a 1 time thing...England's batting has been collapsing like a deck of cards recently...If Australia are smart about it they should make seaming tracks and load themselves with 140+kmph guns in the playing 11 and they have no shortage of it. I know England bowling attack is also brilliant but Aussie batting is more then capable of handling Broad and Anderson...This will also negate a lot of assistance that Swann may get...

Faisal1985

Yeah, but the example shows that the number alone doesn't say much. And as G. I. Joe alluded to earlier, draws aren't inherently bad.
Depends on the draw tbh. If a team has to bat out 2 days to draw its more like a win imo.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Without wanting to get into the discussion, just want to say that that's never a good reason to prefer one to the other. Might as well stick to ODI's and T20 then.
Oh come on.. You remember the last two Indo-Pak series in 07 and 06? 4 draws out of 6 test matches..you remember those high scoring draws? Then the recent second test match between India and Sri Lanka..Surely that its not exciting test cricket.
Compare that to this series, it hasnt been that bad either. The last test match, 3 innings saw scores of 200 plus

The first and second test matches saw scores ranging between 72-350 plus..with Pakistan managing 290 odd in a second innings..Thats certainly not a batsman's nightmare.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I wonder what all the experts have to say now about Strauss's remark of it being a 1 time thing...England's batting has been collapsing like a deck of cards recently...If Australia are smart about it they should make seaming tracks and load themselves with 140+kmph guns in the playing 11 and they have no shortage of it. I know England bowling attack is also brilliant but Aussie batting is more then capable of handling Broad and Anderson...This will also negate a lot of assistance that Swann may get...
Australian pitches are just of a different nature. Its just not possible to prepare English pitches in Australia now with the first test match 3 months from now.

Secondly, the Ashes will take place during Australian summer and that is drastically different from the traditional English weather..You wont find such overcast conditions in Australia

As for Strauss's remark..as a captain what do you expect him to say? That its NOT a one time thing and he expects his batsmen to fail consistently? :laugh:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Oh come on.. You remember the last two Indo-Pak series in 07 and 06? 4 draws out of 6 test matches..you remember those high scoring draws? Then the recent second test match between India and Sri Lanka..Surely that its not exciting test cricket.
Compare that to this series, it hasnt been that bad either. The last test match, 3 innings saw scores of 200 plus

The first and second test matches saw scores ranging between 72-350 plus..with Pakistan managing 290 odd in a second innings..Thats certainly not a batsman's nightmare.
Both those India-Pak series were horrible, and the SSC match was pretty pointless as well, as things turned out. I do remember Kumble nearly bowling Pak out in the third Test in 2007, though.. these kinds of things tend to get obscured when people only look at the end result.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
As much as I would like England to be bundled out for 100...I dont mind this now because if Pakistan came into bad now, Anderson would wreck havoc and Pakistan would be 20/5.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Both those India-Pak series were horrible, and the SSC match was pretty pointless as well, as things turned out. I do remember Kumble nearly bowling Pak out in the third Test in 2007, though.. these kinds of things tend to get obscured when people only look at the end result.
well there you said it..'horrible' and 'pointless'

I dont think anyone will say the same about any test match in England this summer..and certainly not about the draws in those Ashes test matches in 05 an d 09 as they were hard fought draws rather than dull draws

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not implying anything, but in that no ball camera view of Riaz, didn't the arm look bent?

G.I.Joe

International Coach

My statement stands for itself. It can be argued that providing the bowlers helpful pitches could be more desirable than providing batsmen better batting tracks, but it is not on to claim that one of them is better simply because it produces more results.

Faisal1985

They should get Ajmal on from one end and Asif from the other to end bring an end to this whole "Enlgand has a good batting line up" crape....

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
All you English fans asking Trott to be dropped for 'slow' batting?? :laugh::laugh:

He won you the Ashes ffs.

It doesnt matter if he plays slowly..

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
My statement stands for itself. It can be argued that providing the bowlers helpful pitches could be more desirable than providing batsmen better batting tracks, but it is not on to claim that one of them is better simply because it produces more results.
Athlai was being sarcastic :p :ph34r:

Stapel

International Regular
What does this mean?

Wahab Riaz to Broad, no run, 87.2 mph, oh dear, how have Pakistan not reviewed this!? Good length, traps Broad on the pads in front, umpire Tony Hill gives it not out... replays show it clipping the bails so the review would have stayed with the original decision

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
Has any English fan on CW asked for Trott to be dropped? :mellow:
Heaps buddy heaps..there was a whole debate about him after the third test match on this thread..

And GIMH, fine but that century was absolutely crucial in that test match..and anyone who can rise up to a situation like that on his first test match has quality.