• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mate, the reason a lot of India's matches are boring is because we are the No.1 side in the world and according to the ICC rankings a dominant side while Pak and England are more evenly matched. I don't blame you at all, You are used to seeing batting of the caliber of India's.

India

India

:ph34r:
:laugh: Nicely done.

vcs

I can't remember one instance in this English summer when three-four wickets haven't gone down in the first session of the day. Except when Trott and Cook put on a partnership in the second innings of the previous Test.

Spark

Global Moderator
The main reason is with matches such as this you get a result, but you're not sure who, so it's actually interesting to watch in context of who has the upper hand at a particular moment of time.

However, a runfest just wastes everyone's lifespan as we have to wait out two, three, four pointless days of monotony that everyone knows will end in a dead draw.

vcs

There are actually very few "dead" draws where only one result is possible going into the last couple of days (like at the SSC this year, and even then India had to get out of a bit of a hole in the first innings). You get several exciting draws with teams saving matches by batting patiently as well.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They're nowhere near as common as they're made out to be on the subcontinent.

Personally, I like the see the bowlers made to work a bit for their wickets...
The bowlers ARE having to work a bit for their wickets.

The pitches are offering assistance, but the bowlers are having to bowl well to pick up wickets.

They're not bad batting decks either. Provided the batsmen are patient and play properly, there's not a lot of demons in the pitches.

Infinitely better cricket than watching a match served up on a road where there's virtually no chance of genuinely getting a batsman out.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Hey Teja, it was funny when Jono did it but now it's pointless, crawl over to a thread where you won't annoy the hell out of me, thanks

Uppercut

Nothing wrong with your opinion vcs. But you're just about the only one that holds it. I don't think I've ever met another cricket fan who doesn't prefer test matches like these.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Really shuddering at the thought of our batsmen having to bat in these conditions.
They probably won't have to. The weather forecast is that it'll improve this afternoon and stay dry on saturday and beyond. Unless Pak run through the remaining five wickets in no time, they will not be facing the same amount of swing at all.

In any case, Broad & Finn won't get nearly as much movement as A & A. Anderson should be a handful, but he'll need to do it bloody quickly before conditions compeltely ease up.

Uppercut

There are actually very few "dead" draws where only one result is possible going into the last couple of days (like at the SSC this year, and even then India had to get out of a bit of a hole in the first innings). You get several exciting draws with teams saving matches by batting patiently as well.
Mmm.

Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

India and Pakistan, last five years. Good 45% of matches finishing in draws. It's just too many, really.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hey Teja, it was funny when Jono did it but now it's pointless, crawl over to a thread where you won't annoy the hell out of me, thanks
You've been warned numerous times about taking digs at other posters, Corrin. This sort of stuff isn't acceptable at all.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
The bowlers ARE having to work a bit for their wickets.

The pitches are offering assistance, but the bowlers are having to bowl well to pick up wickets.

They're not bad batting decks either. Provided the batsmen are patient and play properly, there's not a lot of demons in the pitches.

Infinitely better cricket than watching a match served up on a road where there's virtually no chance of genuinely getting a batsman out.
Dead right on all counts. Can't say I'm enjoying seeing England perform as feebly as this, but this summer's tests have been way more interesting than most you could name.

vcs

Nothing wrong with your opinion vcs. But you're just about the only one that holds it. I don't think I've ever met another cricket fan who doesn't prefer test matches like these.
That's fair enough.

I'm a bit of a batsman/batting fan-boy, just doing my bit to balance all the bowling love-in that goes on here. :ph34r:

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
The problem with the Moments in Time series is that I always watch them, and forget to go to town during the lunch break.

Last edited:

kingpin

State Vice-Captain
Just prepare wickets where batsman struggle and And cricket gets boring....Not for us but for Associate countries.....

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Just prepare wickets where batsman struggle and And cricket gets boring....Not for us but for Associate countries.....
If the batsmen are struggling then it's because they've got mental or technical deficiencies which are being exploited. Amir, Asif, Anderson and Swann have bowled well all series, but we're not playing on minefields. These are good batting tracks that offer just a bit of assistance to bowlers.

vcs

Mmm.

Aggregate/overall records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | Cricinfo.com

India and Pakistan, last five years. Good 45% of matches finishing in draws. It's just too many, really.
Why? How exactly do you draw the line between what is acceptable and what not?

Last couple of India-Pak series in both countries have been seriously dire, though.

EDIT : Adding to my previous point, 40% of the Tests in Ashes 2005 ended in draws. And then you had an identical result but far less interesting series in '09. SA vs. England had 2 out of 4 Tests drawn and it was a very enjoyable series. Those numbers alone don't tell us anything at all, IMO.

Last edited: