• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Pakistan in England 2010

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
this would have been easily 2 down for England..but Umar Akmal spilled an easy chance...looks like Pakistan is back to its usual ways...

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Dont think his dismissal is the result of the same mistake that we've seen throughout the course of the series or over the course of the past year. Gap between bat and pad against a very good but not unplayable delivery.
OK. But when you've seen these bowlers move the ball all over the place in three previous tests, you'd kind of hope that our captain and opening batsman might work out that you defend with bat and pad in reasonably close proximity.

Spark

Global Moderator
Dont think his dismissal is the result of the same mistake that we've seen throughout the course of the series or over the course of the past year. Gap between bat and pad against a very good but not unplayable delivery.
I know I shouldn't be saying this but from the POV of a parochial Aussie I'm quite pleased to see Strauss have issues as he was far-and-away the best English batsman on show last year.

Matt79

Hall of Fame Member
I know I shouldn't be saying this but from the POV of a parochial Aussie I'm quite pleased to see Strauss have issues as he was far-and-away the best English batsman on show last year.
Don't think we quite have the same pairing of conditions and bowlers who can exploit them though.

tooextracool

International Coach
OK. But when you've seen these bowlers move the ball all over the place in three previous tests, you'd kind of hope that our captain and opening batsman might work out that you defend with bat and pad in reasonably close proximity.
You would, though with Strauss I think this is more of a one off as he is definitely more sound than the likes of Cook when it comes to playing the inswinger without pushing at the ball hard.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
God I hate bad light.

Especially when the umpires take the reading with sunnies on. Just takes the piss.

Faisal1985

International Vice-Captain
Well...there goes the 1st day's play....how is tomorrow looking? Still showers...what stubborn weather in England.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Forgot just how epic that Flintoff spell was. To maintain the pace, accuracy and movement for that long and with a dodgy knee is just incredible. WAFG.

Spark

Global Moderator
"According to Jo King, the inestimable Channel Five scorer, Umar Akmal's drop was Pakistan's 18th of the series, which has allowed England to add something in the region of 380 runs. And given that the highest score of the series is 354, that's significant."
Ouch.

tooextracool

International Coach
Forgot just how epic that Flintoff spell was. To maintain the pace, accuracy and movement for that long and with a dodgy knee is just incredible. WAFG.
This the one in last year's Lord's test? If so, was his best spell ever hands down. If he bowled like that even a few more times in his career he would have had ended up with much better than those mediocre career stats

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
This the one in last year's Lord's test? If so, was his best spell ever hands down. If he bowled like that even a few more times in his career he would have had ended up with much better than those mediocre career stats
Either that or his marathon spell at the Oval in 2005. Actually, I rate that effort as one of the finest I've seen from an English bowler.

tooextracool

International Coach
Either that or his marathon spell at the Oval in 2005. Actually, I rate that effort as one of the finest I've seen from an English bowler.
I wouldnt put the Oval performance anywhere close. I haven't seen a spell as hostile as his Lord's spell from an England fast bowler in my years of watching. Its one thing to bowl well in overcast and bowler friendly conditions (after being tonked around when the sun was out the previous day) as he did at the Oval. Its another thing to bowl at 93-94 mph on one leg on a dead flat track and have even the settled batters like Clarke and Haddin hop around like novices.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Flintoff must have the highest hostile-spells-to-wickets-taken ratio of any bowler I've seen, TBF. He looked by far the biggest threat in Chennai when India were chasing 387 on the fifth day.