• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Australian Off-Season Thread (2010)

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
So over this "20/20 is the way to win the fans back" crap. Cricket is really losing its focus. They think spectators want to see lots of sixes. Well, we did, back when they were special. I barely bat an eyelid at a six now. It was a special thing, almost, though not quite, like a goal in soccer.

Cricket is always going to be a traditional game, with lots of history. Buy cheapening and modernising it to be like other 'modern' sports, we're losing the game entirely.

Don't make runs easier to score. Bring back the humanity - the grit, the fight, the struggle, the determination that unearthed the real heroes, the Borders, the Waughs. That's what Australia wants to see.
Just wait a few years for the administration to plunder and milk the 20/20 format to its death through over play. Lets be honest, 20/20 is an extremely one dimensional game that barely changes from match to match and of course the ICC/national boards will forget this and increase the number of 20/20 matches, just like they've done with ODIs.

When thinking about the current situation of cricket its always reassuring to consider the cyclical and historical nature of tests themselves. There have been periods where batsmen dominated over ball more so than now when cricket itself was facing extinction (early 50s) and cricket in general came back stronger than ever.

brockley

International Captain
PNG visit a success for the PKF Tigers
Wednesday, 4 August 2010
PNG Report by PKF Tasmanian Tigers' Coach Tim Coyle
The recent Papua New Guinea Tour that myself and a group of the PKF Tasmanian Tigers attended proved to be an outstanding success.
The four players competed in a tournament called the Constantinou Shield which is an annual national competition played at this time of year in PNG.
The weekend was dedicated to Twenty20 cricket with some one-day games set to played over the next few weeks.
The teams are named in recognition of Cricket PNG major partners and were:
Air Niugini Jets
(Brendan Drew)
Monier Miners
(Xavier Doherty)
Badili Hardware Hornets
(Rhett Lockyear)
Hebou Hammers
(Luke Butterworth)
Brian Bell Bulldogs
(Craig Philipson QLD Bulls)
BSP Hearts
(Chris Simpson QLD Bulls)
The teams played in a series of games over the weekend with the final played on Sunday between Air Niugini Jets and the Monier Miners.
Some outstanding cricket was played and the Tasmanian contingent was very impressed by the local players. From a country that has many issues we witnessed young people with a passion for the game that you would not see in other parts of the cricketing world. Their obvious love of the game combined with a skilful flair for the game should ensure a healthy future for PNG cricket.
During the time there I was able to spend some time conducting some coaching sessions with the local male and female cricketers and their desire to 'listen and learn' was outstanding. I also met with Cricket PNG CEO Bill Leane & National Coach Andy Bichel to discuss ways in which Cricket Tasmania and Cricket PNG can foster a partnership in the future. There were many encouraging concepts to come out of these discussions and we will now communicate regularly.
The tournament was won by the Air Niugini Jets defeating the Monier Miners in the final. The PKF Tigers' performed well with 'Brother' Brendan (Brendan Drew's team nickname) the outstanding player of the tournament, his highlight being a 60 ball 112 in the early rounds. Brendan scored over 200 runs and was out just the once in his 6 games.
'X-man' Doherty also had a productive tournament with a half century and 9 wkts to his name including a 4/6 off 3 overs in round 1. Lockyear and Butterworth also contributed well with runs and wickets on a consistent basis.
In summary, it was an excellent exercise for all concerned, an exciting opportunity for CT with a bright future ahead for a fast developing cricket nation.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Cooper is an interesting one. I went to every game at Adelaide and he'd look as if he was smashing them, go a bit quiet then get out. Had the feeling every game it was a matter of time before he got away but never did. Hoping he has a break-out series!
I'm hoping cooper fires up this season. He's been amazing for Netherlands since playing with them he averages well over 60 in his 10 or so odi's doesnt he (granted it's been against the minnows but ireland gave the aussie side a run for their money and afew of the other sides look decent at times, at least his in form)?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So over this "20/20 is the way to win the fans back" crap. Cricket is really losing its focus. They think spectators want to see lots of sixes. Well, we did, back when they were special. I barely bat an eyelid at a six now. It was a special thing, almost, though not quite, like a goal in soccer.

Cricket is always going to be a traditional game, with lots of history. Buy cheapening and modernising it to be like other 'modern' sports, we're losing the game entirely.

Don't make runs easier to score. Bring back the humanity - the grit, the fight, the struggle, the determination that unearthed the real heroes, the Borders, the Waughs. That's what Australia wants to see.
There's always a push-back of some sort. When HR hitters were dominating in baseball, people blamed the juiced balls (and players!). Now that baseball has clamped down on both, well, if anything, pitchers are dominating.

Probably won't happen this season as it looks like the number of T20's will grow if anything (sold-out crowds last season, etc.) but eventually even the casual punter will tire of blokes landing 20 rows back that which would have seen them walking back to the sheds 10 years ago. I get the feeling some angst and subsequent rule-changes with bats is due.

outbreak

First Class Debutant
Another irk of mine in t20's is the field size. Fair enough they want big hitting but why bring the ropes in so far? It fails to be a big impressive shot to clear the rope now. An average 1-2 bounce 4 has now become an easy six? Isn't the act of the big hit what people used to enjoy not the result on the scoreboard?

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
There's always a push-back of some sort. When HR hitters were dominating in baseball, people blamed the juiced balls (and players!). Now that baseball has clamped down on both, well, if anything, pitchers are dominating.

Probably won't happen this season as it looks like the number of T20's will grow if anything (sold-out crowds last season, etc.) but eventually even the casual punter will tire of blokes landing 20 rows back that which would have seen them walking back to the sheds 10 years ago. I get the feeling some angst and subsequent rule-changes with bats is due.
Yeah I have a feeling the obsession with Six's won't last too many more seasons. Doesn't everyone feel bad for the bowlers :laugh:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I find it really interesting these findings by market researchers, when CA has the In2Cricket program which works successfully, Super 8s and a high quality pathway.

It has to make sure that it doesn't alienate its current, and still growing, fanbase too much, and in attempting to catch the growth areas it shouldn't forget that there is still a latent group of sub-continent migrants who still haven't been incorporated into the formal structures as well as they could/should have. Hopefully this increases with further generations.

Kylez

State Vice-Captain
The bowling probably will be a problem though. Not so sure Christian's hit and miss yorkers ill do the job they did in Australia.
Personally I think Putland would do a good job at the champions league. He should come on at about the 6th or 7th over and just bowl that really full length that he is capable of, at decent pace as well.

Would pretty hard to hit IMO, with that slightly slingy action and his low bounce.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Putland is too nice a pace, needs to start changing it up more. The thing that SA will miss the most is that they had three guys down the order who could all go nuts, which was probably the thing that the opposition feared the most. They don't really have that now, with Afridi and Pollard gone.

brockley

International Captain
New One-Day Cup format announced
13 August, 2010

A new format, 45-over, split innings, 12-a-side one-day cricket format will be trialled in Australia's national one-day cup this summer.
The modified format was developed following a strong message from fans that one-day cricket is their favourite format but it needs refreshing to retain that status, said Cricket Australia Chief Executive Officer James Sutherland.
"We have listened to the public, undertaken comprehensive consultation across Australian cricket and developed a format which we now want to test thoroughly this summer," he said.
Key features of the new format include:
- 45 overs per team with split innings of 20 and 25 overs.
- A maximum of 12 overs by any one bowler.
- 10 wickets per team and 12 players per team - teams can bat any 11 of the 12 and field any 11 of the 12.
- A maximum of two bouncers per over.
- A new ball from each end at the start of the innings and no replacement new balls.
- No power plays
- Fielding restrictions: Overs 1-5 = 2 fielders outside the circle; 6-20 = 4 outside; 21-25 = 2 outside, 26-45 = 4 outside.
The new format will be played in all 31 matches of the national one-day cup, played between all States.
Match points will include one point for a first innings lead which is retained even if the side leading then eventually loses, and four points for a win, with five points if a team leads at the first innings and subsequently wins.
The final format was approved by the Board today on the recommendation of CA’s Playing Conditions Committee which met on Wednesday night.
Voting members of the CA Playing Conditions Committee are:
• Jack Clarke (Chairman)
• Mark Taylor
• Matthew Hayden
• Greg Chappell
• Shane Warne (absent)
• Paul Marsh
Mr Sutherland said the new format was designed to offer fans a combination of a quality contest in an exciting format which encourages players to combine strategic thinking with attacking cricket.
"The public told us to act and we have," he said.
"The fans told us, through formal research, that they like all three formats, there is a place for three cricket formats, they like ODI cricket best, but they want to see it refreshed and they want to see it with a short-form identity that is distinctively different from fast-emerging T20 cricket.
"Interpreting the data, fans see Test cricket as the formal, long-form strategic game; they see T20 as a bite-sized piece of cricket entertainment and they think ODI cricket sits in the middle as, in a sense, a strategically-based, one-day Test match.
"Cricket does not always like change and I confidently predict plenty of public discussion over summer -- but we clearly need to do something to refresh the world's most popular format, have listened to the public, consulted throughout cricket, and now want to give this format a thorough trial to test it out before longer term assessment about whether this might become an international format,” Mr Sutherland said.
He noted various formats have been trialed around the world from time to time but this will be the first serious trial in a high performance televised national competition which is played for high stakes.
cricket australia copyright.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
What a disaster of a format. It just seems complicated for the sake of making the game 5 overs less.

I'll still watch it though :)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Goodness me, I'm confused already!

Does 12 players and 12 overs per bowler mean goodbye to all-rounders then? That's crap, my favourite type of one-day player.

Last edited:

Pothas

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Do not mind that bit myself, that and the two bouncer rule may help even things up a bit for the bowlers.

Does seem rather convoluted but not necessarily against the split innings thing, will be interested to see how it plays out.

In the wider picture it is another domestic set up without a 50 over format which is interesting.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Do not mind that bit myself, that and the two bouncer rule may help even things up a bit for the bowlers.

Does seem rather convoluted but not necessarily against the split innings thing, will be interested to see how it plays out.

In the wider picture it is another domestic set up without a 50 over format which is interesting.
Yeah I actually like the split innings part it means you can bowl a quick for a good long spell in the first 20 overs and they can have a 2 hour rest before bowling out the rest of the spell.

I'm looking forward to seeing how the captains rotate the bowlers and also the batting lineups as it might be benefitial having a top order bat down the order so they can face the new ball at the start of the second innings.

I still think there will be a place for an all rounder in the domestic teams, but they will probably be a few more games where they are called on for quality rather than quantity.

I think captains will like to mix it up a bit and will not very often at all bowl just the 4 bowlers in a full 45 overs.

brockley

International Captain
Brett Lee could find it difficult to win selection for the 50-over World Cup competition now Australia has changed its domestic one-day format. Source: HWT Image Library

BRETT Lee and Callum Ferguson might have to play in scratch 50-over matches to make their case for World Cup selection after Cricket Australia approved a controversial split-innings format for this summer's domestic limited-overs competition.

Players coming back from injury will be disadvantaged by the new format, which was blasted by their union.

Cricket Australia chief executive James Sutherland last night confirmed changes to the interstate one-day competition - which will now be 45-over matches split into a 20-over and 25-over phases - that will go ahead this summer.

The change will apply to all 31 matches of the competition, rather than an experimental handful .

Leading players insisted they weren't properly consulted and claim the format will compromise Australia's bid for a fourth consecutive 50-over World Cup crown on the subcontinent early next year.

And CA admitted it might even need to stage private 50-over matches for players such as Lee and Ferguson, who are returning from injury and mounting a case for World Cup selection.

CA might even organise a "Possibles v Probables" 50-over match to help select a World Cup squad.

The Australian Cricketers' Association last night blasted the change.

"We surveyed the players and an overwhelming majority (78 per cent) rejected the split innings format," ACA boss Paul Marsh said.

"The decision by CA was made before collective player input was even sought.

"For the people know the game better than anyone, this process has been difficult to comprehend and players are very disappointed."

Sutherland, however, insisted research showed that 50-over cricket needed refreshing. He found support from Queensland Bulls coach Trevor Barsby.

"I take my hat off to them for having the courage to make a change like this," Barsby said.
Herad sun copyright