• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's going on?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
You have mentioned my name twice in your rant.

A) I was laughing at England being dire and I didn't continue with it. It was just a few posts. People laugh at how **** England are (check out the fielding mishaps, the legendry one by Phil Tufnell). South Africa has often choked or played poorly in their history as well and no one has started crying that others are laughing at them.

I think the insults on the English football team needn't be taken personally.
When a team goes out the WC and you do that then this is the very definition of trolling, well done.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
If Sledger had laughed at the performance (as he did if I might recall), you wouldn't say he was trolling but in my case you do. Your judgment is biased.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
While we're at it, can we ban Jono for being a **** in the AFL thread. And also ban f00lins from the salad bar.

Thx.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I fully expected and received a lot of banter against the US. I don't see the issue, I have never said that what someone said against the US was out of line. If you don't want banter, don't open the forum. If people are so insecure that they can't take someone rejoicing in another team's win, then they probably shouldn't be on the internet. Obviously there are more English and Australian posters here than German or Brazilian so they would be the ideal people to start banter against. I have never said anything that has not been good natured, and people (and myself) poke fun at my expense all the time. I am not sure I see the hypocrisy in anything I've said. If you could point out the instance where I've taken that type of thing personally, it'd be much appreciated. Supporting another team is not a crime - or it ought not to be. Neither should calling out a game that all the 'experts' thought was crap and calling into question its entertainment value. A team doesn't represent a person, badmouthing a team that one supports is not badmouthing that person. I've never insulted someone that was not in good humor, and I've never been offended against an insult against me or a team I support - and many times it wasn't in good humor.

As for my suggestions - I would defend myself but if this is the perception than there was certainly a massive failure on my part to communicate my intentions properly. I admitted I knew nothing about the sport, so obviously my suggestions may not make sense to the committed football fans. Frankly, the response from some quarters was dire in so many ways - dismissal is one thing but the type of cliquish attacks against someone new is absolutely horrible here sometimes. I can completely see why so many people complain about it to me sometimes - people get shouted down and ridiculed just because they don't happen to have knowledge or experience with the game or with posting, and it's absolutely shocking.

However, you are an excellent poster, and if you feel that my posts were out of line, I will take it at face value and I personally apologize to you and anyone else that may have been offended. I will also refrain from posting in any more football threads. I hope people believe that my posts meant as banter and good nature ribbing rather than actual attacks on a sport, a team, or an individual poster.
SS, banter is indeed part and parcel of it all. Being English I fully expect to be ridiculed most of the time. However, I feel that not a lot of people understand what it actually means to a lot of us, so when we get attacked when we've just been knocked out, it's beyond banter, if you know what I mean. Imagine if I'd gone into the India-Aus thread after Sydneygate and chortled about how India had choked. That pretty much sums up how it was for us.

I'm not Australian but I know from speaking with a couple of them that that was how they saw your posts after the Germany game...

Look, just over a year ago, my domestic team lost out on a play-off place in the last minute of the season. I was totally distraught, a grown man being consoled by one of his two-year old daughters is laughably pathetic...but the way everyone in the footy thread responded was amazing, and sympathetic.

Then a few days later, grecian made a joke at my expense about it, and that's all good because I'm not raw anymore...it's the unwritten rule. Me and my sister's bf txt each other footy abuse all the time but when it's massive, there's an unspoken rule that we don't do it.

Maybe it's just me anyway, dunno. Certainly don't have a problem with people telling me my teams are ****...they generally are...timing and awareness are key though, because football is in my blood like so many others here and it does make me act differently to pretty much anything else in the world

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Actually you are right. I was just laughing at England being dire. It was not a serious issue for me like it is for the English fans obviously which I didn't realise. I looked up what trolling is and one of the things apart from enticing hate etc. is garnering attention. I certainly wasn't aiming at it but I can see why it can be construed as such by you and other English fans (the comments on the English team, not La Liga-EPL discussion).

I apologize to English fans for my mistake. I will be more sensitive in the future regarding your direness. I belong in the SS school of thought though. If some one does it persistently like Sir Alex or Raghav (re: India - which he hasn't done for a fair while to be fair to him, just giving an example), it is obviously a completely different issue.

Last edited:

SRK

Banned
CricketWeb should include things like Fav player,Fav Team on profile which can be seen in posts.This will make posting here more interesting.It's very good to post here at the moment though.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
We have SRK and Saif Ali Khan posting on the forums.

Wow!!!

Are these the new avatars of BruceCampbell?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
You have mentioned my name twice in your rant.

A) I was laughing at England being dire and I didn't continue with it. It was just a few posts. People laugh at how **** England are (check out the fielding mishaps, the legendry one by Phil Tufnell). South Africa has often choked or played poorly in their history as well and no one has started crying that others are laughing at them.

I think the insults on the English football team needn't be taken personally.

And the continuing discussion of which the better league was - EPL or La Liga, I can just say I like the style o fLa Liga better and would watch it any day ahead of EPL.

Also, I would like to add, in a discussion with Brumby during the same time period in that thread, I mentioned how I admired the small differences in English accents etc and admired the country for these things. I see you have completely ignored that.

Two more things - After I got banned, you abused me calling me a ****ing ****** and got away with it, I just let it go. It was not some thing I was to make an issue of.

Look how you reacted to your being banned - You IMed me 'thanks for getting me banned. I will ignore you and remove you from facebook blah blah.).

Two cases, two completely different reactions. All I can say is that you are just whinging and crying and it doesn't look good on you at all. :mellow:
There was a thread on a football forum i post in titled "Let's all laugh at England" after they drew with algeria , the English fans avoided it at the start ,then they came back when they beat Slovenia and ultimately that resulted in harakiri after they lost to Germany.
There was a similar thread about France too.

All was taken in good mood and resulted in good banter and that too on a primarily dominated forum by English members.
Some people on here really took the English football team and the internet too seriously.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Well as I said, yeah, I do take football seriously, so what, it's our national game and I'm passionate about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.