• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Group C - England, United States, Algeria, Slovenia

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmm just looking at the tie-breaking criteria, has a tie-break by drawing of lots ever happened in a WC? Longshot obviously, but could potentially happen if England and US beat Algeria and England draw with Slovenia. Would be a ****ty way to go out anyway.
It nearly happened in 1990 in englands group, if egypt had equalised against us it would have been a 4-way tie. In the end the republic and the dutch had to draw straws to see who would be second and third in the group.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Sky Sports reporting that David James will make his first ever WC Finals appearance tonight

:unsure:

I'd have stuck with green, tbh
Nah, Green's just as big an accident waiting to happen. Made a similar horlicks in training (was all over the papers today) and against Mexico in the friendly. With the latter he at least got his body behind the ball tho.

Gotta be ****ing joking if those two are at the central defence again. How can you ****ing camp a team into their own half with two ****ing zimmerframers as your last men.
Hobson's choice tho, really. Dawson's uncapped and Upson's entirely average.

If only there was a 70 cap veteran who's strong in the air, positionally astute and quicker than any of his rivals...

Oh, wait...

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I don't think so, no.

Would probably prefer that it was used to penalty shootouts in knockout games tbf
The decisive result was England's 1–0 victory over Egypt, thanks to a headed goal by Mark Wright, which won them the group and eliminated the Africans: meanwhile the Netherlands, for the second time, conceded a late equalizer, this time to Niall Quinn. For the first time in World Cup Finals history, the drawing of lots was required to divide two teams, as Ireland and the Netherlands ended with identical results
Group F - 1990

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Nah, Green's just as big an accident waiting to happen. Made a similar horlicks in training (was all over the papers today) and against Mexico in the friendly. With the latter he at least got his body behind the ball tho.

Hobson's choice tho, really. Dawson's uncapped and Upson's entirely average.

If only there was a 70 cap veteran who's strong in the air, positionally astute and quicker than any of his rivals...

Oh, wait...
Yeah I don't particularly trust Green but David James has done what Green did time and time again for club and country.

That being said, I wasn't aware of the training gaffe and I'd imagine that will be what has swung it for Capello as he did say he was going to see how he responded. Oopsie.

As an aside, I never knew you were a fan of Sol...:p :ph34r:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hmm just looking at the tie-breaking criteria, has a tie-break by drawing of lots ever happened in a WC? Longshot obviously, but could potentially happen if England and US beat Algeria and England draw with Slovenia. Would be a ****ty way to go out anyway.
In Group F in 1990, Ireland and Holland finished tied on three draws, two goals for and two goals against, and were ranked for position by the drawingof lots. This didn't affect qualification for the knockouts, but meant Ireland (the winners) played Romania, and the Dutch had to face West Germany. Also, Italy beat the USSR in the semi-finals of Euro 1968 on a coin toss after 120 goalless minutes.

Man Utd beat Hull in the first ever penalty shootout, during the 1970 Watney Cup, and the first World Cup shoot out was in 1982, when the Germans beat France in the semifinal.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If either Algeria or Slovenia draw with England..the US can win the group based on goal differential right? But then so can Slovenia?

Can someone who knows soccer go through the permutations?

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Just realised - Joe Cole not starting again?! England trying not to make it out of the group stage imo.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
I wonder if any other team has a centre forward who offers the least goalscoring threat in the whole side? Even David James is more likely to score in a last minute send your keeper up situation than Heskey is to get on the scoresheet.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Well this is dire. No control whatsoever, no idea about keeping possession or building an attack, too many braindead flicks that would disgrace a kids team instead of actually passing the ball in the final third. Gerrard already particularly culpable in that respect. They all look terrified, tbh.