• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Warne vs Murali Discussion

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Isnt Sri Lanka one place Warne completely dominated. He mesmerised the Lankan batsmen.
Yes Completely Dominated.

Cricket Records | Records | Australia in Sri Lanka Test Series, 1992 - Australia | Batting and bowling averages | Cricinfo.com

And saying that Warne Dominated SL Batsman during the 1999 Series is like saying Michael Clarke Dominated Indian batsmen in 2004/05 series in India.

Only series that Warne dominated the Lankans (Home or Away) was the 2003/2004 series in SL.

II would say most of that dismissals would be in 2004 series. 1991-2 series and 1995-6 series Tillekaratne did well against Warne. He never was a flashy stroke player, but a sedate batsman who defended a lot.
We are going nowhere with this, if you look at Warnes record against SL, I mean really look at it innings by innings to say:
But it was Gurusinghe, Tillekaratne, Ranatunga and Kaluwitharana who took Warne by the scruff of the neck and attacked him is true in the sense that they attacked him but failed. Maybe one game they did OK but the rest not so good.

HP Tillakaratne played 11 innings against Warne, and Warne got him 6 times. And 4 out of that was in 2004 series, where he was dropped subsequently. When he was in form was out only twice to Warne. Once he was on 14, and other time on 119. Until 2004, Tillakarane managed to defend out what ever Warne sent at him. But with poor form in 2004 (he was getting out to Giles FFS), he was no match for Warne.
Just list all of the matches where he took Warne by the scruff of the neck and attacked him.

Having seen the thread abut Warne thought of doing the same thing and having views.

The great players from each countries are like this (open for debate)

Australia
Mark Taylor
Mathew Hayden
Michael Slater
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Steve Waugh
Mark Waugh
Adam Gilchrist
Simon Katich

England
Graham Thorpe
Kevin Pietersen
Mike Gatting
Michale Atherton
Alec Stewart

India
Azhar
Sachin Tendulkar
VVS Laxman
Rahul Dravid
Saurav Ganguly
NS Sidhu
Virender Sehwag

New Zealand
SP Fleming
Martin Crowe
Ross Taylor

South Africa
Daryll Cullinan
Jaques Kallis
Gary Kirsten
AB de Villiers
Hansie Cronje

West Indies
Brian Lara
Carl Hooper
Shiv Chanderpaul
Richie Richardson

Pakistan
Salim Malik
Inzamam
Md. Yousuf
Younis Khan
Saeed Anwar
All of them.

Migara

International Coach
Just list all of the matches where he took Warne by the scruff of the neck and attacked him.
Ranatunga and Kaluwitharana in 1992. Absolutely hammered Warne. His figures look respectable because Gurusinghe kept blocking at the other end. And in 1995/96 series. Ranatunga and Kalu at Perth and Ranatunga at MCG went after Warne big time, and they were picked up by faster bowlers later, but not before they score 40s or 50s.

Migara

International Coach
And to add to my argument, Warne has picked up 59 test wickets against SL, of which 27 are tail enders (8-11). That is 45.7%. In his career it,s 263 / 708, which is 37.1%. He was clearly benefited in his average by picking up tail enders a lot.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In 92 Warne was debutting and was fairly green - it was his 1st or 2nd series ever. It's hardly a great series to look at because the Warne that came to be an all-time great was a different player.

In 05 when Sri Lanka had arguably their best team in history and pushed Australia to the wire Warne outdid Murali at his home and practically won the series for us. Probably compares with his Ashes 05 performance in terms of greatness.

As said by Streetwise, maybe an innings here or there some Sri Lankan batsmen did well but generally Warne/Australia had the wood on them.

Last edited:

Migara

International Coach
In 92 Warne was debutting and was fairly green - it was his 1st or 2nd series ever. It's hardly a great series to look at because the Warne that came to be an all-time great was a different player
Agree with this.That's why I was more concerned how Warne was treated in 1995/6 series

I
n 05 when Sri Lanka had arguably their best team in history and pushed Australia to the wire Warne outdid Murali at his home and practically won the series for us. Probably compares with his Ashes 05 performance in terms of greatness.
Best team that SL had was in 1999 when de SIlva, Ranatunga, Jayasuriya and Tillekaratne were at the top of their game. Warne bowled to probably the weakest ever SL batting line up SL ever had since mid 1990s in 2004, captained by worst captain SL ever had. And the series you are interested took place in 2004 not in 2005. That was the Aussies at their peak. The new look SL batting line up was with youngsters, Sanga, Mahela, Samaraweera and Dilshan. Jayasuriya and Atapattu were the only senior batsmen. That was the only series that Warne dominated SL.

As said by Streetwise, maybe an innings here or there some Sri Lankan batsmen did well but generally Warne/Australia had the wood on them.
Aussies did, but apart from 2004 series, Warne did not, except on tail enders.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
In 1999, your best team according to you, he averaged 14.37 and struck at 42.1 for the series. And he only took 2 tail-end wickets. Problem for Warne was that Sri Lankan top order usually crumbled to our pace bowlers.

Even in 95 apart from the last test he was fine.

Also, yes, in 2004 was what I meant. Warne was our best bowler easily against a much tougher SL side IMO; but since almost half his wickets were tail-enders I guess that means nothing 8-) He just took 4 5fers and 2 10fers in that series...maybe that's why ;)

Last edited:

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is there any common ground on the Warne vs. Murali debate? For me, it's Warne by a slight but definite margin. Murali needed to have that "second wind" that Warne did at the end of his career and it hasn't really come. I thought Mendis might help prolong his prime for a couple of years after the 2008 SL vs. India series, but it didn't really work out that way for either of them. Now he's 38 and rumoured to be retiring soon, so I'm not sure how much more Test cricket he will get to play before then.

0RI0N

State 12th Man
'Second wind' lol wut?
Murali has over 750 test wickets
over 60 5ers and 20 10fers.
He doesn't need to have another 'peak'{spurt of wickets} as you claim he should.
Maybe Murali should eat more beans, vcs? Will that help?
Your arguement is invalid.
Oh and brb judging a player on IPL wins...

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, I find the second wind argument a bit difficult to fathom, although not that you think Warne better by a slight but definite margin - thats understandable and perfectly fair enough; I, however, believe the reverse. Its just that Murali had a long apprenticeship in test cricket before he became a truly stellar bowler. He didnt really start to hit his straps until the tour of SA in 98 (?) and really began to peak after 2000/2001 right on until 2007/2008. I think he has said he will retire from test cricket after the home series against WI, although the fact that India has a tour of SL scheduled for this year, IIRC, may mean that he might hang on for that. His retirement from ODI cricket, of course, is after the 2011 WC.

archie mac

International Coach
And to add to my argument, Warne has picked up 59 test wickets against SL, of which 27 are tail enders (8-11). That is 45.7%. In his career it,s 263 / 708, which is 37.1%. He was clearly benefited in his average by picking up tail enders a lot.
You would think spinners would not pick up openers that often especially if they played in a side with great fast bowlers as Warne did

Sir Alex

Banned
Yeah, I find the second wind argument a bit difficult to fathom, although not that you think Warne better by a slight but definite margin - thats understandable and perfectly fair enough; I, however, believe the reverse. Its just that Murali had a long apprenticeship in test cricket before he became a truly stellar bowler. He didnt really start to hit his straps until the tour of SA in 98 (?) and really began to peak after 2000/2001 right on until 2007/2008. I think he has said he will retire from test cricket after the home series against WI, although the fact that India has a tour of SL scheduled for this year, IIRC, may mean that he might hang on for that. His retirement from ODI cricket, of course, is after the 2011 WC.
Is the series vs India confirmed? Anyway NZ are touring Sl in June, so I think Murali will get to 800 wickets them.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
'Second wind' lol wut?
Murali has over 750 test wickets
over 60 5ers and 20 10fers.
He doesn't need to have another 'peak'{spurt of wickets} as you claim he should.
Maybe Murali should eat more beans, vcs? Will that help?
Your arguement is invalid.
Oh and brb judging a player on IPL wins...
Can you point out exactly where I judged a player on IPL wins? 8-) Just pointed out that they have one each.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Yeah putting words in vcs mouth I feel.

Nonetheless, International cricket doesn't matter anymore.

IPL is how you judge a player, and hence Raina is the greatest cricketer ever.

:ph34r: