• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Wasn't looking at the time. [/Wenger] Thought you were complaining about the free kick being taken quickly.
Wrt to the free kick, I thought I saw the ref ask for the ball from Fabianksi hence I also assume that means they had to play the whistle and not have the option to take it quickly. Otherwise why would we give up the ball that easily?

EDIT: Yes the ref asked for the ball back and they took it while he was looking in the other direction.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Wrt to the free kick, I thought I saw the ref ask for the ball from Fabianksi hence I also assume that means they had to play the whistle and not have the option to take it quickly. Otherwise why would we give up the ball that easily?

EDIT: Yes the ref asked for the ball back and they took it while he was looking in the other direction.
There's nothing in the rules that says the team with a free kick have to wait until the other team is ready. Arsenal should have stood someone in front of the ball until the referee marched them back.

duffer

There's nothing in the rules that says the team with a free kick have to wait until the other team is ready. Arsenal should have stood someone in front of the ball until the referee marched them back.
He asked them to give him the ball and impeded Campbell from going back to track anyone. You can't let play go on in that situation. Not to mention it probably wasn't a back pass anyway.

Loony BoB

International Captain
DWTA.

I reckon it's far more likely to make an FA Cup final through spawn and/or a favourable draw than it is to finish 7th in the Prem. In the last decade we've had Cardiff, Millwall, Pompey, Southampton & West Ham make it.

Only way the FA Cup would be a feasible idea for CL qualifacation would be to seed the draw, which removes the competition's raison d'etre at a stroke.
I would mean "the winner gets it" a la the Carling Cup gets a Europa spot. It doesn't go to the other finalist, just the winner. If the winner is in the top three anyway, it goes to 4th spot in the PL. And if a team like Pompy win it, power to them - but you can bet your arse that the big four, and other teams, will be taking it much more seriously.

Neil Pickup

He asked them to give him the ball and impeded Campbell from going back to track anyone. You can't let play go on in that situation. Not to mention it probably wasn't a back pass anyway.
It must have hit Campbell on the ****, then.

How does that get through the filter? Ah well...

Uppercut

Yeah, shouldn't be getting in Campbell's way. Other than that, he's done nothing wrong. It's not much different from the free kick Henry scored in the 2-2 draw with Chelsea in 2004, the rules are pretty clear. You stand a player in front of the ball to stop the quick free kick. Some refs will allow it, some won't, why take the chance?

The backpass was similarly ambiguous. Tbh I'd prrrrobably not have given a free, but it's close. You most certainly don't pick the ball up in those situations because you know fine right there's a good chance the ref will give a free kick and there's no point whatsoever taking that risk.

Events seemed to conspire against Arsenal for that goal, but it's far, faaar more their fault than it is the referee's. The penalty, on the other hand...

duffer

It must have hit Campbell on the ****, then.

How does that get through the filter? Ah well...
He didn't actually pass the ball though, he was shepharding it back to the keeper but it looked like he misjudged his step and hit him on the shin. Very ropey if you ask me, but still doesn't excuse Fabianski for picking it up.

grecian

Honestly, how has Arsene not dragged Denilson's sorry arse off the pitch?

Last edited:

duffer

We'll kill these guys in London. Were looking the far better side till the penalty decision and will have a lot of players back. 2-1 isn't that horrible a result in the end.

cpr

International Coach
Hmm, OK yes, def pen. Fair enough.

2nd goal though. backpass, Campbell's deliberately shadowing the ball, and touched it. An accident would be if it bounces off him on the way back, a mistake is him getting his feet in the wrong place when he's trying to be involved in play.

Theres an argument against the ref.... but no IMO. The striker clearly wants to take it quick, screaming for the ball. He wants it, its the ref's call the get it back ready for play. It's not Fabianski's to hold onto whilst he gets back into position, and to turn his back when he hands away is a shocker. The ref hasnt got in Campbells way, Campbells meandered into the ref. Where the hell was he going anyway. He's the last man back, he needs to get himself between ball and goal, not trying to feel the free kick takers arse.