• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

BoyBrumby

Englishman
What if he continues to play well and Lennon doesn't recover well? Just throwing it out there for discussion. No views one way or the other myself.
Honestly can't see it; he's been shyte for 18 months and we're very well covered on the right. Walcott, Beckham, Lennon and Ashley Young is right-footed too.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Walcott's been pretty poor for Arsenal for a while now, and I'm asking if, hypothetically, Lennon is poor after returning from injury. Lots of options, yes, but Bentley's ability shouldn't be in question. It's his attitude that's terrible, but he's playing well atm.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Walcott's been pretty poor for Arsenal for a while now, and I'm asking if, hypothetically, Lennon is poor after returning from injury. Lots of options, yes, but Bentley's ability shouldn't be in question. It's his attitude that's terrible, but he's playing well atm.
Tactically Bentley isn't the type of right-winger that would suite ENGs 4-4-2 formation. He is too slow & his crossing isn't as consistent. He is right-footed version of Stewart Downing.

ENGs success in the WCQ was having a pacy & skillful winger in Walcott & Lennon down the right running at defenders. Bentley isn't that, only J Cole or Milner should challenge Walcott or Lennon (if he coems back & struggles) to start on the right.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Walcott's hardly played, tbf. Half hour he got versus ManUre was his first serious run out this year. Milner and SWP can happily play wide right and are both ahead of Bentley in the pecking order even if Theo & Lennon both miss out anyway.

Bentley won't go to the world cup short of a serial killer decimating English right-footed midfielders.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Tactically Bentley isn't the type of right-winger that would suite ENGs 4-4-2 formation. He is too slow & his crossing isn't as consistent. He is right-footed version of Stewart Downing.
For someone who's such a big fan of Beckham as a winger, this is interesting.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Milner and SWP can happily play wide right and are both ahead of Bentley in the pecking order even if Theo & Lennon both miss out anyway.
This would be my ideal. I like them both better than Walcott and Lennon. Not that I don't appreciate the ability of those two. I'm just just a big fan of big effort players like Milner and Wright-Phillips.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Decent win, not often we go to the Trannies and come away with 3 points.
piss off :@

It's my kids' birthday so I never went but I am reliably informed we were turd. Looking grim down there now, expected us to pick up points from games like that with all due respect.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
The challengers continuing to show why Liverpool, despite being gash for so much of the season, will probably still finish 4th. Normal service being very much resumed.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The old man was telling me today that he was certain Liverpool would finish 3rd...ahead of Arsenal. At least he's not saying they'll win the league, normally he says that as long as it's mathematically possible

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
TBF to Liverpool, they're managing to win games at the moment without always playing particularly well which is a good sign. And the three pretenders - Spurs in particularly - have all had their chances to put Liverpool well and truly out of the running, yet have continued to find new and interesting ways to blow it.

Uppercut

Was at the game again today. The second, third and fifth goals were hilariously crap. It feels like things are swinging our way, the atmosphere was completely different to against Burnley a few weeks ago when the whole stadium seemed to be collectively worrying themselves silly (apart from the Burnley fans, who were brilliant).

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
For someone who's such a big fan of Beckham as a winger, this is interesting.
Becks role in national team is as impact sub to come after Walcott/Lennon have already ran a defense ranged whose crossing & set-piece excellence makes up for him being slow. Pace was never part of his game anyway.

But if the situation demanded i would have no issue with Becks have to start on the right again. I just hope that never happens..

BoyBrumby said:
Milner and SWP can happily play wide right and are both ahead of Bentley in the pecking order even if Theo & Lennon both miss out anyway.
I would think SWP is probably below or on par with Bentley in pecking order. SWP at international level although he has pace lacks proper crossing & finishing ability. He wasted his chance to impress.

We would have to put Young is ahead of both SWP & Bentley ATS in the pecking order.

Mr Mxyzptlk

More interesting is to hear that Downing is slow, the one thing I wouldn't accuse him of.....
In fairness to him, I think he was leaning on the "inconsistent service" bit wrt to Downing. I know that's not what he implied, but implications can be deceiving with aussie.

Mr Mxyzptlk

SWP at international level although he has pace lacks proper crossing & finishing ability.
Well he definitely isn't good in the air, and probably not good with his hands. So basically he shouldn't be a footballer at all, let alone a winger.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Was at the game again today. The second, third and fifth goals were hilariously crap. It feels like things are swinging our way, the atmosphere was completely different to against Burnley a few weeks ago when the whole stadium seemed to be collectively worrying themselves silly (apart from the Burnley fans, who were brilliant).
Lucky bastard - wish I could get tickets to more games. :p

What was your view of the the fourth goal? A lot of sources are crediting it as an own goal, but it seems plenty of people think it should be credited to Carrick as it was on target before the deflection.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
More interesting is to hear that Downing is slow, the one thing I wouldn't accuse him of.....
He is slow, him Becks & Bentley all have the same pace probably. You wouldn't expect him to run past any international quality right-backs like Walcott or Lennon for example..