• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Long way to go. Certainly, we're gonna have it tougher than you guys last year. But that wasn't my point; my point was that these two teams (Arsenal and Liverpool) have had two contrasting seasons and jumping around firing coaches is what we don't want because it DOES happen. Teams DO play bad or can't compete effectively for a season. It doesn't undo all the good work Benitez or Wenger did prior. The team is largely the same as last year with the exception of two players. Those two players were good, but not that good to be the difference between this season and last. So one must have faith with the players and coaching staff we have because they certainly were good enough last year.
This is actually a very fair point, what it does not mask however, is the fact that Liverpool have underachieved massively, and are substantially worse off than anyone reasonably expected them to be, as the shortcoming is of this magnitude, it's understandable that someone is more than likely going to have to pay the price further down the line. Personally I think that Rafa will (and maybe should) be given to the end of the season, as I wouldn't have thought that a new manager coming in at this stage would radically improve the situation. That said, I'm happy for Rafa to say, because I don't think the situation will be turned around, and that works out quite nicely for me.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
As an impartial (ish) observer, I do find it interesting how much leniency Benitez is shown by the 'pool fans despite leading them from one disaster to another this season

I know he's done well in the past but it's a professional game and his club is not in the financial situation to be sentimental
I actually reckon it's at least partly because Liverpool are so far up a fiscal **** creek that Rafa's still in a job. He signed a new 5 year deal last summer which will cost a decent 8-figure sum to pay off.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
We have two games in hand though, don't we? We have at least one, and two once you play your re-scheduled against Spuds mid-week.
We've only played 1 game more than you guys. You play now and we'll be equal until we play Spurs. Long way to go and perfectly doable provided we get a fit squad for most of the season. No disrespect; but I do expect City to slip.

This is actually a very fair point, what it does not mask however, is the fact that Liverpool have underachieved massively, and are substantially worse off than anyone reasonably expected them to be, as the shortcoming is of this magnitude, it's understandable that someone is more than likely going to have to pay the price further down the line. Personally I think that Rafa will (and maybe should) be given to the end of the season, as I wouldn't have thought that a new manager coming in at this stage would radically improve the situation. That said, I'm happy for Rafa to say, because I don't think the situation will be turned around, and that works out quite nicely for me.
Well, thanks for your leniency sir; I'll tell Rafa right away! :laugh:

The thing is, Liverpool has been overachieving with Benitez. Forget this season. We have become a European power and real contenders once again - not just because of our name but by what we've achieved in the last few years. That's why I personally think Benitez is still the right man for the job. I don't agree with everything; in fact I don't particularly like the style of football we play or the type of players Benitez likes but I am endeared by the fact that instead of trying to merely win in the short term he has tried to fix the club from the ground up. He's overhauled the academy and youth system, resisted just trying to buy a star here or there and actually wanted Liverpool to have a strong enough squad to challenge for years. And really, our fully fit starting XI is one of the best in Europe easily. Could you really say that with a straight face when he had gotten the team? He has been immense; that's why he has that contract.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Ikki, here's a question for you that I've been thinking about this week

If you were a player that could command top wages, would you sign a long-term deal with either Liverpool or Man U at the moment given their rumoured financial state?

Speaking as a businessman, both clubs would have to provide me with MASSIVE up front payments to do so

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Even though I don't know United's real situation in terms of money/debt I think if I were being honest I'd go to United. They generate more cash by their stadium, their club's brand name, and more importantly have more success on the pitch.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente

If you were a player that could command top wages, would you sign a long-term deal with either Liverpool or Man U at the moment given their rumoured financial state?

Speaking as a businessman, both clubs would have to provide me with MASSIVE up front payments to do so
If you were really a player that could command top wages surely it would not make a great deal of difference, as if either club went into financial default then another big club would be willing to come along and take you off their hands.

grecian

Enough about Liverpool, all hail Ryan Harley
Indeed we're officially better then Man U:)

Just wish the ginger Platini hadn't done this when the transfer window was still open.

Still, when Ryan scores his first headed goal, from his, well. first ever header you know that your in for a good day. The 20-yarder was just a bit meh compared to that, he does them all the time :)

Last edited:

Matteh

RIGHT...it's Benitez's fault everybody is injured. It's Benitez's fault that we didn't play like Brazil 1970 with the fill-ins. It's Benitez's fault that with Mason we've had 3 red cards (ridiculous ones) in our last 3 games with him. It's Benitez's fault that we've conceded so many last minute goals. It's Benitez's fault...we get it...FFS...we get it.
It's certainly his fault they're ****.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Ironically, as businesses they're both actually quite sound; any companies that can service debts of the magnitude they both (as I understand it) have obviously have very healthy turnovers. Both respective sets of seppo owners have bought the clubs to make a quick(ish) buck so the only problem either team is likely to have is going to be if the owners can't sell them with the attached debts. More and more of the turnover will have to go to paying the interest on the loans (some borrowed from hedge funds at exorbitant rates), so less and less will go on wages and transfers.

Already we've seen United can't compete with the likes of Real & City (even), with Ronaldo & Tevez disappearing and neither being effectively replaced, so I think the answer to your question is that neither club is likely to be able to command the very best players in the not too distant future unless ownership changes hands.

social

Even though I don't know United's real situation in terms of money/debt I think if I were being honest I'd go to United. They generate more cash by their stadium, their club's brand name, and more importantly have more success on the pitch.
Full credit for your honesty

social

Ironically, as businesses they're both actually quite sound; any companies that can service debts of the magnitude they both (as I understand it) have obviously have very healthy turnovers. Both respective sets of seppo owners have bought the clubs to make a quick(ish) buck so the only problem either team is likely to have is going to be if the owners can't sell them with the attached debts. More and more of the turnover will have to go to paying the interest on the loans (some borrowed from hedge funds at exorbitant rates), so less and less will go on wages and transfers.

Already we've seen United can't compete with the likes of Real & City (even), with Ronaldo & Tevez disappearing and neither being effectively replaced, so I think the answer to your question is that neither club is likely to be able to command the very best players in the not too distant future unless ownership changes hands.
Unfortunately, as businesses, they dont offer good returns so it comes down to interest and disposable income

Forget about City - 3 million barrels of oil per day guarantee their future success whilst the owner(s) retain interest

Real are stuffed - they have club members not oil and are heading down the slippery slope at break-neck speed

Other than that, I agree that the balance of power is changing

Last edited:

cpr

International Coach
Yes but Real's club members pay their taxes, which are then pumped back into the club by the Spanish Government at the slightest hint of losses......

social

Yes but Real's club members pay their taxes, which are then pumped back into the club by the Spanish Government at the slightest hint of losses......
Which is all well and good whilst the Spanish government have money

Unfortunately for Real, they're a basket case

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Yeah, they're effectively bankrolled by the local and national governments. Last time they got themeselves in a mire of debt the Madrid council bought their training ground and then let them continue to use it gratis. IIRC it was investiagted because the city (allegedly) overpaid, amounting to a taxpayer subsidy. Not sure how it ended up, but my guess is a massive fudge.

King Pietersen

International Captain
We've started brilliantly tonight. The midfield have bossed the game, Donovan's looked really sharp, as has Fellaini and we're making chances. Just need to start putting them away, which has been our problem all season. Louis's been in decent scoring form this season though, so hopefully if he gets a good chance he'll put it away. Bout time we had a somewhat solid looking defence out as well, Distin and Heitinga looks a heck of alot stronger than Hibbert and Neill in the middle.

Bad news for Citeh though. Santa Cruz has already gone off, and it's looking like Tevez is set to be going off in a minute as well. Hopefully we can take advantage of that and get what would be, a great victory.

Get in! Pienaar you beauty. Great free kick.

Last edited: