• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* English Football Season 2009-2010

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yeah was just reading on the BBC that Merida was stalling on a new contract.

Also from the BBC

You know anything of that duffer?
They're also suggesting that AC Milan want Mannone?
I seriously doubt Arsene would have the club over a barrel like that or that he'd be allowed to do so. I don't however doubt we are minted and have plenty of money to spend if we wanted to. All up to the club.

Sel Vito asap imo. He'll never make it, Szczesney is better and if we can rort Milan for 2-3 million bite thier hands off.

Also reports Chamakh has signed a pre-contract with Liverpool. That would be very very ****house imo.

Pothas

Do City have someone injured?. Since this seems a odd potential buy when you have De Jong & Kompany as defensive mid-fielders already..
Well Mancini knows him from his time at Inter and it is not going to hurt to have someone with that much experience in your squad. A great player and good to see him back.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Well Mancini knows him from his time at Inter and it is not going to hurt to have someone with that much experience in your squad. A great player and good to see him back.
Yea he has premier league experience etc, but he is no longer the Vieria of his Arsenal heydays of course. So i dont know how effective he would be TBH..

Jarquis

I seriously doubt Arsene would have the club over a barrel like that or that he'd be allowed to do so. I don't however doubt we are minted and have plenty of money to spend if we wanted to. All up to the club.

Sel Vito asap imo. He'll never make it, Szczesney is better and if we can rort Milan for 2-3 million bite thier hands off.

Also reports Chamakh has signed a pre-contract with Liverpool. That would be very very ****house imo.
Bent over a barrel? I guess you only mean in the sense that it forces what we do with money? Doesn't seem like a bad thing though, 70% of transfer income to be spent on wages and transfers, fair enough.

Agree about Vito, had the game of his life against Fulham and was shakey after, not what we need.

Have you got a link for the Chamakh story? I heard they were sniffing around but can't find anything as concrete as a pre-contract.

Rosicky will be available for the Evertone game with Cesc potentially returning against Bolton. Clichy not far away either apparently.

Pothas

Yea he has premier league experience etc, but he is no longer the Vieria of his Arsenal heydays of course. So i dont know how effective he would be TBH..
He is not the player he once was, no one is saying that but Mancini having worked with him before obviously has a lot of respect for him as a player and as a person. When trying to turn a group of talented players into a top 4 and then potentially title winning side it makes good sense to bring in a player who has experience of winning things in the English game.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Fran just signed a contract with Atletico. He didn't fancy fighting through the logjam in front of him. Shame, he looked so much better than Denilson whenever they played together in the reserves. Arsene playing him against West Ham was a last ditch attempt to convince him he has a future here but him and his brother(apparently the driver for the discontent) had other ideas.
Mmm, bit of a shame, not overly bothered though tbh. Always liked him, but it's not like Arsenal aren't a team with a massive amount of cover and other promising young players who can play in the same position. Would have given it another year if I were him, but fair enough, will be interesting to see if he can make a mark elsewhere.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He is not the player he once was, no one is saying that but Mancini having worked with him before obviously has a lot of respect for him as a player and as a person. When trying to turn a group of talented players into a top 4 and then potentially title winning side it makes good sense to bring in a player who has experience of winning things in the English game.
I'd suggest he would also be a lot more effective than Gareth Barry also.

dontcloseyoureyes

BARNES OUT
Do City have someone injured?. Since this seems a odd potential buy when you have De Jong & Kompany as defensive mid-fielders already..
Kompany is playing CB (and with all the absences and injuries we have back there he will be staying there for a while) and de Jong is carrying a massive load back there. Plus, Vieira isn't your classic defensive midfielder, he's almost the complete package and can still do that job better than Gareth Barry, despite his age IMO.

+ what Pothas said.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rosicky will be available for the Evertone game with Cesc potentially returning against Bolton. Clichy not far away either apparently.
I'm pretty sure we've heard this before- let's see when they really come back.

duffer

Bent over a barrel? I guess you only mean in the sense that it forces what we do with money? Doesn't seem like a bad thing though, 70% of transfer income to be spent on wages and transfers, fair enough.

Agree about Vito, had the game of his life against Fulham and was shakey after, not what we need.

Have you got a link for the Chamakh story? I heard they were sniffing around but can't find anything as concrete as a pre-contract.

Yeah I can't see a situation where the board would find themselves contractually obliged to do anything regarding transfer and since Arsenal is like the bloody CIA wrt their internal dealings I highly doubt a BBC reporter would have access to concrete details like that. That said from their published reports and countless comments from Arsene and the board I have no doubt we have a fair bit to spend.

Wrt to Chamakh this story 'reports' that they are in talks over a pre-contract now.

Johnners

Pleased to see that Dossena & Voronin are on their way out. F365 has them leaving by the weekend I think. Thoughts on the Maxi story? Is he a comfortably better player than Benayoun/Riera? (have never seen him play)

duffer

He's a bit of a douchebag, but when he's on he can ball and certainly at a higher level than Yossi and Riera can. I doubt however he'll give yout the consistency that Benayoun would(who's consisntently solid).

Then there's the whole settling into the Premiership thing but as a loan and possible free agent signing thing it's worth the risk.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Kompany is playing CB (and with all the absences and injuries we have back there he will be staying there for a while) and de Jong is carrying a massive load back there. Plus, Vieira isn't your classic defensive midfielder, he's almost the complete package and can still do that job better than Gareth Barry, despite his age IMO.

+ what Pothas said.
Fair enough if he is in to back up the DM options with Kompany having to fill in at the back. But i think bolded is highly debatable ATM, since i'm not too sure if Vieira although at his best was the "complete package" i'm not sure if he still is. Sure maybe his defensive & passing game is still there, not sure about his legs making those trademark burst forward though.

To me a team buying Vieira based on premiership experiece, is like a team buying RVN to be a striker now. Definately passed their best IMO, but we shall see how Vieira goes..

duffer

Gotta agree with aussie there. If Paddy could still play at a higher level than Barry, Arsene wouldn't have sold him all those years ago. I think he'll be a fantastic influence in the dressing room for them and can do a decent job in their squad.

He brings so much proffesionalism, leadership and other intangibles he'll give to the younger guys. One reason why I'd have loved to loan him back to us to cover for Song and keep a lot of our younger guys honest. Guys like Diaby, Denilson, Ramsey would learn so much so quickly from a guy liek him. All the best to him at City though, will be a proper tear-jerker when he steps onto the pitch at the Grove later this season.